Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with this option

• Sentry mode option to turn off camera based detection, instead activating sentry mode only when intrusion is detected
I notice that the cameras are now off by default. Was that always the case or if I want it as it was before the update so I need to turn the cameras back on?

This has rendered autopilot completely useless for me. I admittedly have a phobia of dry windscreen wipers and if they go off when the screen is dry I have to shut then down immediately. So simply cannot use TACC any more. Frankly this, alone, would stop be buying another Tesla!
Apart from rare exceptions (and I’ve never had a car where they’ve been perfect) my auto wipers are fine and don’t dry wipe and I’ve noticed others saying the same on this forum. I did have a problem with dry wiping a couple of years ago but I concluded it was the Rain-X type treatment I’d done and others have said the same.

The inconsistencies between cars for this isn’t logical to me and, maybe I’m being naive, so should be fixable. It’s hard to believe a future software update is going to make a lot of difference for you at this point. Have you reported to Tesla?

The inconsistencies between cars for this isn’t logical to me and, maybe I’m being naive, so should be fixable. It’s hard to believe a future software update is going to make a lot of difference for you at this point.

I suspect that most are not inconsistencies between cars but inconsistencies between driving locations and conditions.

I know Twickenham and surrounding areas very well (ex local lad) and I can say that the driving conditions in that area are completely different to say the driving conditions where I am now. When I lived in your part of the world, 99% of my trips were under very similar conditions as most trips were fairly local or in towards London. Where I live now, 100% of my drives involves conditions that you might experience in 0.1% of conditions where you are. So I would expect that your experiences are very different to my experiences and nothing to do with the car,

I'm only in 4th year of Tesla ownership and for a variety of reasons, I do not drive the car as often as I once did, so no long term consistency, but my feeling is that dry wiping has for worse since 2022.20.x (I jumped from .20 to .36). I use to be able to predict dry wiping circumstances pretty well and they only lasted for a couple of nuisance wipes, but I am now finding that occasions of dry wipes are not where I would once have predicted and they go on for extended periods of time. Of course, this time of year brings its own challenges to driving in general, not least Tesla Vision, but my experience is that occurrences of dry wiping is a new problem rather than a previous inconvenience. Not had a change to be in circumstances where its previous nemisis, not being triggered by spray when overtaking vehicles on motorway, had changes.

As for AHB, tbh, my particular circumstances, the only issue with them was that once they deactivated, you could slowly count to 3 or 4 before they came back on. I can't really say that following other vehicles or slow to dip causing dazzle was a noteworthy problem. But just because I never saw that as a problem doesn't mean that it was not a problem for others.

Lots of reasons why this might be, most of them I am sure are very valid reasons for that individual and often based on previous experiences with similar functionality setting a level of expectation that is not equalled by what they are experiencing now, let alone by the many references raising expectation of Tesla being such a superior car. Its much easier to see deficiencies when you lose something rather than coming from the other direction of having no/lesser experiences and seeing an improved experience. That group may find the Tesla experience fantastic, whilst the former group see a backward step. Both groups are right and both groups may have different experiences of different aspects of the car. Where IMHO it can become more of a problem is when that experience changes over the lifetime of the ownership experience. Great if its an improvement, but not if its perceived to be a backward step.

I suspect that most are not inconsistencies between cars but inconsistencies between driving locations and conditions.
But of course the auto wipers should work consistently in all locations and all conditions, except perhaps the most extreme conditions. There shouldn’t be any variation. If Tesla/Musk swallowed their hubris, admitted that vision only doesn’t work and gave us cheap, reliable infra red sensors that have been available for years then we could all enjoy reliable auto wipers. Of course, it won’t happen. So our expensive, technically “cutting edge” cars have worse wipers than you would find on a 20 year old cheap hatch.

But of course the auto wipers should work consistently in all locations and all conditions, except perhaps the most extreme conditions.
Which specifically isn't the case with the IR detectors, hence most cars that use them have a calibration sensitivity setting that the driver's control, some also need manual activation and only control the speed (like my old BMW). Tesla are trying to be fully automatic as that is clearly required for FSD, can't assume a human driver will control wiper sensitivity.
It's a different problem that they are addressing, believe it or not but Tesla's pure focus is on self-driving, even to the determent of human driver experience where necessary. And if/when they achieve it they will stop selling cars to the likes of us, and just provide robotaxis.

I know Twickenham and surrounding areas very well (ex local lad) and I can say that the driving conditions in that area are completely different to say the driving conditions where I am now. When I lived in your part of the world, 99% of my trips were under very similar conditions as most trips were fairly local or in towards London. Where I live now, 100% of my drives involves conditions that you might experience in 0.1% of conditions where you are. So I would expect that your experiences are very different to my experiences and nothing to do with the car,

I'm only in 4th year of Tesla ownership and for a variety of reasons, I do not drive the car as often as I once did, so no long term consistency, but my feeling is that dry wiping has for worse since 2022.20.x (I jumped from .20 to .36). I use to be able to predict dry wiping circumstances pretty well and they only lasted for a couple of nuisance wipes, but I am now finding that occasions of dry wipes are not where I would once have predicted and they go on for extended periods of time. Of course, this time of year brings its own challenges to driving in general, not least Tesla Vision, but my experience is that occurrences of dry wiping is a new problem rather than a previous inconvenience. Not had a change to be in circumstances where its previous nemisis, not being triggered by spray when overtaking vehicles on motorway, had changes.

As for AHB, tbh, my particular circumstances, the only issue with them was that once they deactivated, you could slowly count to 3 or 4 before they came back on. I can't really say that following other vehicles or slow to dip causing dazzle was a noteworthy problem. But just because I never saw that as a problem doesn't mean that it was not a problem for others.

Lots of reasons why this might be, most of them I am sure are very valid reasons for that individual and often based on previous experiences with similar functionality setting a level of expectation that is not equalled by what they are experiencing now, let alone by the many references raising expectation of Tesla being such a superior car. Its much easier to see deficiencies when you lose something rather than coming from the other direction of having no/lesser experiences and seeing an improved experience. That group may find the Tesla experience fantastic, whilst the former group see a backward step. Both groups are right and both groups may have different experiences of different aspects of the car. Where IMHO it can become more of a problem is when that experience changes over the lifetime of the ownership experience. Great if its an improvement, but not if its perceived to be a backward step.
Whenever I've had wipers that won't stop it's been rectified by cleaning that part of the window, typically a squashed bug that no amount of squirting and wiping will clear. The answer would seem to be that Tesla need to detect this immovable dirt issue and inform the driver to take action rather than stupidly trying to keep wiping to no effect.

Reactions: Doudeau
Whenever I've had wipers that won't stop it's been rectified by cleaning that part of the window, typically a squashed bug that no amount of squirting and wiping will clear. The answer would seem to be that Tesla need to detect this immovable dirt issue and inform the driver to take action rather than stupidly trying to keep wiping to no effect.

So owners fault then? Have you ever tried stopping the car on a motorway to get out and clean a bug/water droplet etc on the windscreen just because you just went under a bridge with low sun shining through trees at side of road and windscreen wipers go off on one?

Or maybe I cleaned the windscreen too well.

Na, it doesn't like dappled light shining through trees... or the sun setting... or...

Which specifically isn't the case with the IR detectors, hence most cars that use them have a calibration sensitivity setting that the driver's control, some also need manual activation and only control the speed (like my old BMW). Tesla are trying to be fully automatic as that is clearly required for FSD, can't assume a human driver will control wiper sensitivity.
It's a different problem that they are addressing, believe it or not but Tesla's pure focus is on self-driving, even to the determent of human driver experience where necessary. And if/when they achieve it they will stop selling cars to the likes of us, and just provide robotaxis.
All I know is that for the last 20 years I’ve barely had to intervene with autowipers because they’ve worked almost flawlessly. I buy a Tesla and the wipers are crap, along with several other things.

Perhaps they should perfect vision only wipers before foisting a deeply flawed product on the customer, thus avoiding the detriment of the driving experience. It’s an example of Tesla treating their customers with contempt, as they have also in taking away the USS with no replacement in sight. “Soon” in Teslaspeak is completely meaningless.

Robotaxis - weren’t there supposed to be one million on the road by the end of 2020?

That isn’t my experience at all. I’ve heard this argument that dirt or something obscuring the camera is responsible for the crap wipers, so at one time I was assiduous in thoroughly cleaning the glass in front of the camera before every single journey. It didn’t make a lot of difference. Of course some huge bug with evil intent, completely lacking in any sort of moral probity, could have squashed itself on the glass within 20 yards of my starting the journey every time but it doesn’t seem likely. Or I could have been cleaning the glass wrong. Either way I’m sure it’s my fault.

Or, just possibly, vision only doesn’t work and the wipers are just crap.

So with this option

• Sentry mode option to turn off camera based detection, instead activating sentry mode only when intrusion is detected
Does that mean with the cameras off and if somebody scratches your car nothing will be recorded? Would they need to break in for Sentry to now start recording?

So with this option

Does that mean with the cameras off and if somebody scratches your car nothing will be recorded? Would they need to break in for Sentry to now start recording?
Not certain but that's how I'm understanding it. Have defaulted all driver profiles to use cameras in Sentry mode. Will take the battery hit (I presume there is one) for the times I switch on Sentry.

Can we please keep this thread on discussing included/rumoured features in 2022.44?

Improvements in wipers aren't included in any info I've read, we have many other dedicated threads discussing wiper performance.
It’s perfectly on topic to discuss wipers on this thread. We all want the wipers to improve, except perhaps those who reckon their wipers work perfectly. There have been some improvements over the last three years through software updates but I’m not aware it’s been mentioned in the release notes. In fact after just about every update someone will claim, after driving a couple of miles, that the wiper problem has been solved, only to find out it hasn’t.

I’m very much hoping that wiper improvements will feature in 2022.44.