Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree, I regularly make a cross country journey in the dark using AHB and there really hasn't been any difference I can determine.
I disagree with your disagreement(!) AHB are better for me. Wish they could sort out auto wipers which regularly smear my windscreen and I cannot disable when AP active. Tesla definitely does undocumented changes. The AP visualisations are much improved over the last 12 months. Also when I first bought my car occasionally the stereo would come on at ear drum bursting volume. They "quietly" fixed that without documenting it.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
People's experience with Teslas vary dramatically. I have never had problems with auto wipers that others have had. Some people have seen an improvement whereas for me there has been no change. Have Tesla made a change to the auto wipers? Mibbies aye, mibbies naw. Its all about perspective. :)

I’m not convinced auto wipers are changing much, if at all, between minor releases.

All I think we’re seeing is different people driving in different conditions, and extrapolating that they are “fixed” or “broken” based on a sample size of 1.

To be clear - I think Tesla’s auto wipers work in a particularly narrow band of idealised conditions. If you happen to drive most of the time in those conditions then from your perspective they will appear to be perfect. Others who happen to typically drive during the combination of factors where they perform the worst will believe that they are broken. The reality is likely to be somewhere in the middle.

Where it gets mildly frustrating is when people state as fact that they are improved, or worse, based on those experiences. I’ve only had one phantom braking incident in my car in 3 years, but I know it’s a reoccurring problem for others. I wouldn’t proclaim phantom braking to be a non-existent problem.

All of that is to say that auto wipers are predestined to be an inferior system to a simple rain sensor, because of how it works. The degree to which people perceive it as crap will depend on where they typically drive within the operating tolerance of it, rather than any objective assessment.

Last edited:
I disagree, I regularly make a cross country journey in the dark using AHB and there really hasn't been any difference I can determine.

I have had my Model 3 since November 2019 and I remember them being unusably bad - in particular, completely unable to react to tail lights that were relatively close, such that following an HGV on a rural road and they'd flash their brakes at me, and taking a looong time to respond to oncoming cars. Since getting 2022.40.x this is no longer the case. It's like night and day. I gave up using AHB a long time ago but it's on by default now.

They're almost good as a car half the price!

First drive on 25.2 today.

Far better use of screen real estate, imo. From the nav layout to the media card, this is much more like it.

Bit torn on the indicator option as a couple of other have mentioned. In a country with a low roundabout count it would be superb. Going to stick with it a bit longer though.

Reactions: Mrklaw and JamiePP
I have had my Model 3 since November 2019 and I remember them being unusably bad - in particular, completely unable to react to tail lights that were relatively close, such that following an HGV on a rural road and they'd flash their brakes at me, and taking a looong time to respond to oncoming cars. Since getting 2022.40.x this is no longer the case. It's like night and day. I gave up using AHB a long time ago but it's on by default now.

They're almost good as a car half the price!
Maybe I don't drive 'relatively close' to any HGVs, but this was never my experience. Good luck with that.

I've had them dip due to road signs since this alleged improvement.

They generally dip quite quickly, always have. They've always taken a bit too long to go back to full beam.

They still get it wrong on unlit motorways and go full beam but don't see traffic in the other carriageway.

They don't dip in built up areas or where there are streetlights.

Yes, there are undocumented bug fixes, this isn't due to a coding error, its insufficient resolution in cameras and not enough training of the AI. Folks who tend to enthuse they have improved tend to also say they had them turned off before and rely on some ancient memory that selectively recalls bad things.

They've always been ok but not great. They do better or worse depending on precise conditions each time.

So many people seem to think that Tesla make undocumented changes to things like AutoPilot, Wipers, Headlights even performance.

Why would they? Why would there be developers making continuous small changes that don't actually improve anything on a software stack that is no longer their focus. Please just accept that different conditions on different days means you have slightly different experiences.

As far as I can tell AutoPilot has had no measurable change since the UNECE required changes in 2019.16 (that includes when it switched to not using radar), wipers also last updated in 2019.40.11 and auto high beam are the same as they were when Model 3 first arrived in the UK.
Apologies in advance as I tend to agree with your opinion / thoughts but there are definitely little differences here and there.

Autopilot has changed from my delivery date to now (just over a year). It sits the car more centrally in the lane now, although 44.25.2 is back to being more left in the lane. This is a notable shift not just a pseudo effect.

HBA was unusable / outright dangerous/ pointless until recently. Now it’s as good as anything I’ve had before. To quantify this, I do about 90% of my driving at night. Same route, every week, near 160 miles each way and the differences are night and day.

100% little changes going on here and there

Apologies in advance as I tend to agree with your opinion / thoughts but there are definitely little differences here and there.

Autopilot has changed from my delivery date to now (just over a year). It sits the car more centrally in the lane now, although 44.25.2 is back to being more left in the lane. This is a notable shift not just a pseudo effect.

HBA was unusable / outright dangerous/ pointless until recently. Now it’s as good as anything I’ve had before. To quantify this, I do about 90% of my driving at night. Same route, every week, near 160 miles each way and the differences are night and day.

100% little changes going on here and there
Lane position sounds like camera calibration, it's always been dead center other than after I got my windscreen replaced and it needed recalibration.

I don't think my new car now drives on AP in any meaningful way different to how the old one drove at Christmas 2019, so the net result is that three years of tweaking has made no notable difference. All that time and money wasted, doesn't make any sense. It's far more logical to think that all the developers moved onto FSD.

I would note, between August 2019 and the end of that year we did get lots of changes to AP that were easy to tell, timing around lane changing, frequency to touch the wheel, maximum cornering, visualizations etc. These got detailed in release notes.