Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wipers have somehow got even worse on .3, had to disable them tonight because they started going off for no reason and smeared the windscreen despite the fact there was literally no rain, ice, snow or anything else here
I was driving on .1 this morning and they were going haywire. First time they've done this for me. So not sure it's a .3 thing. Sun was low in the sky which I suspect was the cause.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
I used to have to remember to disable AHB every time, getting caught out when I’d forgotten that it has turned itself back on at the start of a new drive, or after activating AP, and it had turned full beam on and/or didn’t switch off at the right times, leading to embarrassment and frustration.

Then a recent update dramatically improved them, and now I mostly don’t have to think about them. Simple as that.

All those people - like me - reporting night and day differences in AHB efficacy after that update, on here and elsewhere (Facebook groups, etc) after that update must be mistaken though I guess.

Last edited:
Well, for what it's worth, I have never had AHB turned on in my M3P since I first tried it out back in 2020 when I bought the car. It was so bad as to be embarrassing. Having read the opinions on here about the way it has improved and having a loan M3LR at the moment while my car is in for a service appointment I decided to try it last night on the loaner. It was only a shortish journey but AHB performed faultlessly. My only comment would be that it is quite slow in switching back to full-beam and perhaps leaves full-beam on where I would personally switch to dipped, such as where a road has street lights. Overall though, a big improvement and I will be turning AHB on in my own car when I get it back.

Well, for what it's worth, I have never had AHB turned on in my M3P since I first tried it out back in 2020 when I bought the car. It was so bad as to be embarrassing. Having read the opinions on here about the way it has improved and having a loan M3LR at the moment while my car is in for a service appointment I decided to try it last night on the loaner. It was only a shortish journey but AHB performed faultlessly. My only comment would be that it is quite slow in switching back to full-beam and perhaps leaves full-beam on where I would personally switch to dipped, such as where a road has street lights. Overall though, a big improvement and I will be turning AHB on in my own car when I get it back.
That’s been exactly my experience.

I leave it on now, although I do occasionally override it, particularly driving around villages at night where inexplicably main beam is on, blasting into people’s living rooms etc, even though there are streetlights etc.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Adopado
Why is my radio muted every time I get in the car and I have to adjust the volume to get it to work? I always leave it with the volume as I want it?
Is it actually muted requiring input to unmute? I generally find the audio is muted (or not playing yet) when I get in the car, then starts playing once I set off. Don’t know if this is by design, but I have noticed it.

...driving around villages at night where inexplicably main beam is on, blasting into people’s living rooms etc, even though there are streetlights etc.
Maybe that's intentional....
  • Full beam at night in urban settings
  • Wipers in full sun
  • Random Brake checks for following vehicles
  • Excessive acceleration
  • Light shows
  • Boombox & now farts wherever we want
Tesla don't do marketing but if you don't own one... boy we're going to annoy you anyway!

So first drive with 44.25.3 this morning. Apple Music is a big improvement, just so much easier to select and play music.

Speed limits are back - but wrong. Joined M5 and it stuck at 40 all the way until I passed under a 60mph (advisory, not a VSL) sign at an overhead gantry, where that updated it to 60.

One phantom braking episode when changing lane after overtaking an HGV. This has happened a few times since the car got update to 40.x.

Wipers did ok but I think that was about the conditions. Where it goes wrong for me is mainly in the dry.

Navigation view is clearer. I think separating the turn from the trip info could make sense. Most of the time the pertinent information is the turn and that's clearly visible in its own card now.

Having the trip card back is nice, and it is more concisely presented.

I haven't tried the auto cancel yet.

Is it actually muted requiring input to unmute? I generally find the audio is muted (or not playing yet) when I get in the car, then starts playing once I set off. Don’t know if this is by design, but I have noticed it.
I move the steering wheel button one click and it goes back to where it was previously so I am guessing it is muted. I will try to see if it comes on when I put it in drive though to rule that in/out.

I disagree, I regularly make a cross country journey in the dark using AHB and there really hasn't been any difference I can determine.
Actually, it is better and really usable now. this came as the last couple updates I believe (after .36)

now it enables AHB quicker and it disables it quicker, once the car lights in front are seen. So it is now usable almost as Mondeo AHB was - only Modeo enabled that tad quicker.

Reactions: Durzel
Actually, it is better and really usable now. this came as the last couple updates I believe (after .36)

now it enables AHB quicker and it disables it quicker, once the car lights in front are seen. So it is now usable almost as Mondeo AHB was - only Modeo enabled that tad quicker.

That was a 2022.40 video but I get the point. Hopefully even more improvements since.

Anyone have any idea on how it’s behaving with motorcycles?

I’ve had two problems with it not detecting motorcycles at least in a timely manner.

1st was driving towards a slower moving car followed behind by motorcycle on motorway in the dark. The car visualised the car but not the motorcycle. Car continued to accelerate to motorcycle so I took control as it was getting to the point where any evasive action was going to have be quite abrupt.

2nd entering a well lit village on AHB in dark and motorcycle coming towards. Had to turn off AHB as car didn’t react to oncoming bike.

Both 2022.36.x. Wondering if .44.3 would be an improvement? Sounds like AHB is improved although not the time to turn HB back on? Often count to 3 before it turns back on. That, and motorcycle behaviour would be a useful improvement if they had improved. Considering jumping to .44.3 prior to Saturday in case they do throw in an undesirable holiday feature (I have enough history of experiencing poor holiday updates that I am in no hurry to rush into them) then I’m on latest pre version.

Have you driven with them on AHB for the past few years and therefore noticed a difference? Lots of people seem to have only recently tried them after previously turning them off and discovered they are better than they remember. I've been doing the same cross country route since September which was apparently before and after this big change and it's not something I've seen.

It could be that the change happened sooner than people are claiming, and they've always been better, but people were moaning on here when they become mandatory. They still behave as I remember back to 2019, but admittedly I don't really have a detailed recollection form over a year ago.

Have you driven with them on AHB for the past few years and therefore noticed a difference? Lots of people seem to have only recently tried them after previously turning them off and discovered they are better than they remember. I've been doing the same cross country route since September which was apparently before and after this big change and it's not something I've seen.

It could be that the change happened sooner than people are claiming, and they've always been better, but people were moaning on here when they become mandatory. They still behave as I remember back to 2019, but admittedly I don't really have a detailed recollection form over a year ago.
I own tesla since February 2022.
It was literally unusable since I had it and became somewhat usable since .44 (or .40) update - do not remember now. But basically since couple last updates.

I tried it intermittently and it never worked properly before the mentioned updates.

It still is not as good as in 2015 Mondeo, but at least usable...

AHBs used to be absolutely terrible. I would occasionally test them out and quickly disable them. When Tesla vision was enforced which auto enabled AHB, a lot of people complained and Tesla stated they would improve them. Subsequent updates have considerably improved AHB, to the point I now leave them on all the time. And I’m very fussy about my lights.

There has definitely been a major improvement.

There have also been noticeable changes in auto-wipers. I’ve generally left them on auto, though felt they were a little too excitable, but I left them to it. Versions .36 and .40 appeared to slow down the wipers slightly and they felt slightly lethargic, though I quite liked them that way. .44 appears to have been a regression and they are far too excitable, with lots of dry wiping, which I’ve not really had before and even when driving along in rain they are at least one speed too fast. This latest version is the only time I’ve had to disable the auto-wipers as they’re simply too sensitive.

Reactions: Alex987854
Wipers on the other hand: this update has a nice feature that slows them down in extremely poor visibility (say when passing a truck on a soaked road) then speeds them up once into relatively clear air. And you cannot turn auto wipers off in AP, even temporarily!
It's true that you can't turn the wipers off completely when using autosteer, but you can change from auto to a manual speed (I don't know if this is new).

I found this useful when using autosteer in torrential rain - I just manually set the wipers to "4" and then I didn't have to contend with the car unexpectedly slowing down the wipers in response to heavy spray.