Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? I didn't know that.
Yeah - all lease cars are delivered (to my knowledge), I've had a few in the past, some on transporters with 0 miles and one was driven with a couple hundred on the clock. My M3P is leased but not sure what to expect, as with all of this Tesla seem to leave everyone in the dark. I don't like it. The worst car buying experience I've ever had. Hope its all worth it.

Reactions: jmhumphreys
I'm seeing a lot of posts about how rubbish the Tesla buying experience has been, and maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been really impressed!
  • Simple online ordering process. No baffling lists of options to have to decipher and choose.
  • No having to deal with fake, insincere 20 year old showroom sales people in skinny suits with so much hair product in their hair that you worry they might combust at any moment.
  • No haggling back and forth over price, "throw in a set of mats and we have a deal" type rubbish, with endless emails and phone calls.
  • No hard sell on extras, GAP insurance, paint protection, all that rubbish.
  • Website gives a clear delivery estimate when you place order.
  • At worst the car I get will be the spec I ordered, but there's every possibility if rumours are to be believed that I'll get more range and up to date components than the one I ordered, for no extra charge.
  • They beat their own estimate by a month for me, which is unheard of! If you buy a car from a traditional dealer the actual date you'll collect is months after they estimate normally.
  • Regular updates by text and email, telling you when you need to complete the next step.
  • Bank transfer payment made me a bit nervous, but it worked - confirmed on the website and by email right away. Good to know now that's all taken care of and I don't need to worry about money on collection day.
  • Arranged me a complimentary chauffeur driver to pick me up from my house on collection day, without me asking for this or making any sort of fuss about getting there under my own steam.
  • By the sounds of things, collection day will be dead simple without loads of paperwork to complete.
Perhaps I'm jinxing myself by saying all this when I still have a week to go until I actually collect, but my Tesla buying experience has been by far the best car buying experience I've ever had in my life.

I'm seeing a lot of posts about how rubbish the Tesla buying experience has been, and maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been really impressed!
  • Simple online ordering process. No baffling lists of options to have to decipher and choose.
  • No having to deal with fake, insincere 20 year old showroom sales people in skinny suits with so much hair product in their hair that you worry they might combust at any moment.
  • No haggling back and forth over price, "throw in a set of mats and we have a deal" type rubbish, with endless emails and phone calls.
  • At worst the car I get will be the spec I ordered, but there's every possibility if rumours are to be believed that I'll get more range and up to date components than the one I ordered, for no extra charge.
  • They beat their own estimate by a month for me, which is unheard of! If you buy a car from a traditional dealer the actual date you'll collect is months after they estimate normally.
  • Regular updates by text and email, telling you when you need to complete the next step.
  • Bank transfer payment made me a bit nervous, but it worked - confirmed on the website and by email right away. Good to know now that's all taken care of and I don't need to worry about money on collection day.
  • Arranged me a complimentary chauffeur driver to pick me up from my house on collection day, without me asking for this or making any sort of fuss about getting there under my own steam.
  • By the sounds of things, collection day will be dead simple without loads of paperwork to complete.
Perhaps I'm jinxing myself by saying all this when I still have a week to go until I actually collect, but my Tesla buying experience has been by far the best car buying experience I've ever had in my life.
Except bullet point 6 for 2022 RWD orders, where they have managed to deduct 40bhp for free!

What/where is the ALD tracker???? Fascinated by this. I have a RWD/PWM/Black/19 on order through ALD and have never been told about a tracker! Would be great if you could let me know how to find it :)
Not sure if it’s different as it’s a company car through ALD, but here’s the link. I got it via an email which gave me my details to log in and track. But as I say, ALD pretty much guess and tell you to go with whatever Tesla are saying. It’s gone from March, to April, to end of May, and now today gone to the 1st March. I hope it’s right!

5A35B921-3B66-473E-A4C6-967C65293860.jpeg

No haggling back and forth over price, "throw in a set of mats and we have a deal" type rubbish, with endless emails and phone calls.
This always baffles me when I see people saying this… why is it a good thing? I’ve always managed to secure good discounts on every new car I’ve purchased except for the Tesla which irks me because rule number 1 when it comes to buying cars is you never pay list price

Reactions: gslaw2995
Have to say my experience has been exactly the same up until yesterday. It’s not a massive deal the change of collection destination and I hope I’ll be offered the chauffeur. Definitely a good experience overall though.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
This always baffles me when I see people saying this… why is it a good thing? I’ve always managed to secure good discounts on every new car I’ve purchased except for the Tesla which irks me because rule number 1 when it comes to buying cars is you never pay list price
Because they’ve overpriced the thing in the first place so that there’s a margin there for the dealership’s overheads. Depending on the day of the month, how they’re doing with targets, etc. etc. you might talk the dealer into overpricing it a bit less to get the sale. But personally I just want to know bottom line, what’s the price? Ok good, I’ll pay it.

For the same reason I’d rather buy my groceries in Tesco than go to a Moroccan Souk and haggle for them. We don’t haggle for anything else we buy, why do we have to still haggle for cars? Just set a price and stick to it I say.

Thing is with every other car you never know if you have gotten a good deal or not or if your mate next door who has the same car paid far less because his lease company had a volume deal with the manufacturer. With tesla the price is the price which is why you can do things like order the car you want yourself and just give the leasing company your RN - the reason they (the leasing companies) allow this is they know the price you are paying is exactly the same price they'd be able to get so they gain nothing by saying they must make the order.

Compare that method to the one americans have with their dealership model - you can order a mustang mach e from the ford website but then the dealer can say yup and that will be an extra $10,000.

Because they’ve overpriced the thing in the first place so that there’s a margin there for the dealership’s overheads. Depending on the day of the month, how they’re doing with targets, etc. etc. you might talk the dealer into overpricing it a bit less to get the sale. But personally I just want to know bottom line, what’s the price? Ok good, I’ll pay it.
But the same thing applies for Tesla - the thing is overpriced but the difference is you can’t haggle to make it slightly less overpriced. I just don’t get how it’s a positive, if you don’t want to haggle when buying a Merc or a BMW then you don’t have to…

You don’t even have to work that hard to get discounts these days, you just go online, find some deals and then go to your local dealer and tell them to better it or you’ll buy from elsewhere. I got a new X3 in 2020 that cost the same as the M3P - I got 12k knocked off the list price.

Compare that method to the one americans have with their dealership model - you can order a mustang mach e from the ford website but then the dealer can say yup and that will be an extra $10,000.
But we’re not in America and that’s not how things work here so entirely irrelevant 🤷‍♂️

Good evening peeps. I recently ordered (21st Jan 2022) M3LR/WHITE/WHITE/18'/Enhanced AP, PCP via Tesla website.

Anybody around that time has their VIN number assigned? or any other useful info about the delivery date. I'm hopefully of getting it at the end of March.

Regards,
EVP
Im not saying that it won’t arrive in March, but it’s worth giving them a call to confirm that you’ll likely have a March delivery. The reason that I say that is because the lead time for White paint with the 18” aero wheels is longer than for other colours. If your car is delayed, then the “fix” is to either change the paint colour or go for the 19” wheels. Hopefully your car is on track and no changes will be needed for a March delivery.

But the same thing applies for Tesla - the thing is overpriced but the difference is you can’t haggle to make it slightly less overpriced. I just don’t get how it’s a positive, if you don’t want to haggle when buying a Merc or a BMW then you don’t have to…

You don’t even have to work that hard to get discounts these days, you just go online, find some deals and then go to your local dealer and tell them to better it or you’ll buy from elsewhere. I got a new X3 in 2020 that cost the same as the M3P - I got 12k knocked off the list price.

But we’re not in America and that’s not how things work here so entirely irrelevant 🤷‍♂️
Is it overpriced? Is Tesla’s mark up the same as a traditional car maker? The traditional car maker’s mark up has to be enough to keep the dealer - which is a whole separate company - going and profitable. Even if Tesla do generate the same profit per car, at least that’s money going to them to potentially invest to improve the product. For a traditional car maker a significant wedge of it is going to the dealer so they can afford to buy ‘salesman of the month’ trophies for the hair product addicted salesmen.

And, again, if the haggling system is the best one why do we no longer do it for anything other than cars? I can’t go into Curry’s and say, “alright, throw in a bag of magic beans and I’ll pay 10 groats and 3 of my best horses for that washing machine.” Haggling and bartering has disappears in the western world everywhere except for car dealerships.

I would assume that we buy them because we think they are worth the cost so by definition they aren't overpriced. Obviously that's always a matter of opinion but noone is forced to buy a Tesla. Personally I like not having to load on options or 'packs' or walking away in the hope that another £500 is knocked off.

Is it overpriced? Is Tesla’s mark up the same as a traditional car maker? The traditional car maker’s mark up has to be enough to keep the dealer - which is a whole separate company - going and profitable. Even if Tesla do generate the same profit per car, at least that’s money going to them to potentially invest to improve the product. For a traditional car maker a significant wedge of it is going to the dealer so they can afford to buy ‘salesman of the month’ trophies for the hair product addicted salesmen.

And, again, if the haggling system is the best one why do we no longer do it for anything other than cars? I can’t go into Curry’s and say, “alright, throw in a bag of magic beans and I’ll pay 10 groats and 3 of my best horses for that washing machine.” Haggling and bartering has disappears in the western world everywhere except for car dealerships.
I'm with you until the last point. In currys you'd regularly look for an HDMI cable or similar to get thrown in with an expensive package. And normally they will oblige.

I agree with you on the overall experience.

Went for a test drive, the chap asked me whether I knew how to drive a Tesla - showed me how to put it in gear. Told me to be back in about 30 minutes. No needing to sit and wait for a chap from sales and sign insurance documents and small talk about colour etc. After came back, he came and asked if I had any questions, I did and got answers. None of the other small talk, no if you buy today we'll take couple of hundred off the price.

The price is the price and we know it. To me this feels more transparent than normal dealership model. Yes it's expensive and yes it's overpriced but we still buy these cars. It seems to work for Tesla. If one feels they are too overpriced then they will probably look elsewhere. Previously, when haggling, I always felt a bit disappointed as even though they might have given me some discount, or mats or shiny keyring, I never felt I really knew the "price" of the car.

So ordered online. Few quick forms. Awaiting for delivery and rough idea when this is to be. Would have been nice to be able to pick this up at the local service centre, especially as it is very near but happy to pick up from delivery location.

Prior ordering, I did test drive the Ioniq 5. When discussing delivery times, the sales chap could not give me much of an idea when it would be.

Last year bought a car from Vauxhall, and actually did most of the ordering process online which was already much easier than with any of my previous cars. But still, the car was then delivered to the main dealer where the usual myriad of forms had to be signed, printed and emailed back. More forms at the dealership and the usual spiel about gap insurance, service plans etc. It seemed like hours and I just wanted to sign the final papers and be gone without any of that. Also, that car was a pre-reg model, and on their website it said it would be available in 2 weeks, but with transport and dealers having to be involved, it took best part of 5 weeks from ordering. Mind you, I wasn't in a hurry.

I would definitely hope that going forward this model prevails overall. Especially the test driving was so easy and painless, why can't all dealerships do that.

What comes to last minute changes to delivery locations, that's a bit different and if people have been given a delivery location and a date and there are changes to those, then Tesla should provide transport options.

You’ve obviously never been to a market or a car boot sale if you think the only place you haggle is a car dealership.

Of course it’s overpriced, just look at how much the cost of a Model 3 has gone up since it was first launched here. You go on about dealerships and salesman of the month trophies but Tesla also need to pay for their service centres and the staff who work there.

Personally I like not having to load on options or 'packs' or walking away in the hope that another £500 is knocked off.
That’s great but the thing you’re not getting is that no one forced you to do any of that, you have the option not to walk away and get your pants pulled down. With Tesla the only option you have is getting your pants pulled down.

As for the option packs, last time I checked if I wanted park assist or automatic lane changing I’d have option a vastly overpriced option pack. At least with my X3 the option packs cost less than EAP - which I then got a massive discount on anyway…

Tesla have a monopoly on how they sell their cars and monopolies are bad for the consumer.

That’s great but the thing you’re not getting is that no one forced you to do any of that, you have the option not to walk away and get your pants pulled down. With Tesla the only option you have is getting your pants pulled down.

As for the option packs, last time I checked if I wanted park assist or automatic lane changing I’d have option a vastly overpriced option pack. At least with my X3 the option packs cost less than EAP - which I then got a massive discount on anyway…

Tesla have a monopoly on how they sell their cars and monopolies are bad for the consumer.
Fair enough - as I said the value of the car and so whether it's overpriced or not is a matter of opinion so no need for us to agree 👍 Availability, performance, range and charging network justified the price for me and not having to haggle to know I was paying the lowest price available was a bonus. The rest of the 'Tesla experience' so far has been absolutely fine and hopefully will continue through to collection next month!

I am not sure regarding an "overpriced".. well maybe not in full extent.
Go and try to spec Polestar 2 or Kia EV 6 with the same bits and bobs Tesla has. you will be surprised :/ at least I was

to be fair, buying tesla is more or less a buying an iPhone. The process which I really like.
Mind you - I never bought a new car before (had to order few as company cars, but did not pay for any of it directly, nor had fun with dealers) and to be fair I never managed to get anything decent (as discount) from any used car salesman...

Last edited: