Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not as defined as that. Comments about allocation of VINS and Suez are more related to Vins being allocated and "discoverable" when cars are on their ship journey and for some that is mid way on journey (hence Suez references which personally I think is BS) so take it with a grain of salt. By way of example in my own case Ithese are the Tesla communications (all happens within last month to delivery)

1. 18th Feb - sms "a car has been allocated, your vehicle arrival date is being calculated and we will be in touch to make arrangements about a delivery date".
  2. 8th March SMS - "Your car is ready to be scheduled for delivery, please select preferred date and time " included a link with three dates (March 24,25,26)"
  3. 18th March SMS - advising licence plate registration and the VIN (note this was first communication by Tesla that mentioned a VIN (even though it was discoverable in source code for weeks before and in truth gave me confidence about. a car actually being matched to me. I think the give it as it is sometimes needed for the purchaser to arrange insurance/registration
  4. 25th March - collected
I am not saying everything follows the same pattern but it gives some insights about the infamous VINS. I suggest that you forget about Suez and expect Tesla to mention VIN only when it has a relevance. Of course you will be able to keep checking for VIN before Tesla advises it!
Thanks for sharing your timeline! Do you know if anyone got their Plate any earlier than 1 week out from delivery? Or is 1 week the norm?

I ask because I’ve heard the insurance premiums can go up with such short lead times. Thanks!

Hit with the news I didn’t want! M3P, Blue/Black, Newcastle ordered 16/3 has been May all the way through, leaseplan who I ordered through have been sending regular mails with the EDD of the car arriving at Tesla motors on 16/6/22 which ties up pretty well with recent shipping movements… this mornings update however…

We've received an update from Tesla Motors about your new TESLA MODEL 3 22 PERF UPGRDE AWD.

The new anticipated delivery date is now 21-10-2022 although this is subject to change.”

😭

• Informative
Reactions: inimic
It is not as defined as that. Comments about allocation of VINS and Suez are more related to Vins being allocated and "discoverable" when cars are on their ship journey and for some that is mid way on journey (hence Suez references which personally I think is BS) so take it with a grain of salt. By way of example in my own case Ithese are the Tesla communications (all happens within last month to delivery)

1. 18th Feb - sms "a car has been allocated, your vehicle arrival date is being calculated and we will be in touch to make arrangements about a delivery date".
  2. 8th March SMS - "Your car is ready to be scheduled for delivery, please select preferred date and time " included a link with three dates (March 24,25,26)"
  3. 18th March SMS - advising licence plate registration and the VIN (note this was first communication by Tesla that mentioned a VIN (even though it was discoverable in source code for weeks before and in truth gave me confidence about. a car actually being matched to me. I think the give it as it is sometimes needed for the purchaser to arrange insurance/registration
  4. 25th March - collected
I am not saying everything follows the same pattern but it gives some insights about the infamous VINS. I suggest that you forget about Suez and expect Tesla to mention VIN only when it has a relevance. Of course you will be able to keep checking for VIN before Tesla advises it!
By today's standards you had a record fast order to delivery time! 1 month to allocation, 7 weeks for a delivery date, 8 to VIN&registration, and just 2 month order to collection.. Following the same logic I should have gotten into my car this week😢 and we know it's likely it hasn't even got out of GF Shanghai yet..

So the EDD for my INVENTORY car, you know the one they are supposed to have in stock here in England, has just changed from June 19-30th to Jan - March 2023!
View attachment 807479

What the hell is going on :oops:.

I'll have to call them tomorrow but these EDDs honestly feels like a complete clusterf##k. :confused:

So I just called Tesla about this. Why do they always sound so disinterested? They really have poor customer service skills. They also hang up abruptly too at the end of the call. Honestly I am courteous and polite on the call and they are usually the exact opposite.

Anyway I was told "Delivery dates move around a lot, and they are subject to change". I told him I'm aware of that but this is an inventory order, not a new order, so the date shouldn't ever move from June to January-March 2023!

I have been expressly promised a callback, but they said the same last week and didn't, so I won't hold my breath.

I'm also still trying without success to get them to honour the £520 discount on my order.

I am really not impressed with Tesla support so far 😠

Reactions: Chickenlips
So I just called Tesla about this. Why do they always sound so disinterested? They really have poor customer service skills. They also hang up abruptly too at the end of the call. Honestly I am courteous and polite on the call and they are usually the exact opposite.

Anyway I was told "Delivery dates move around a lot, and they are subject to change". I told him I'm aware of that but this is an inventory order, not a new order, so the date shouldn't ever move from June to January-March 2023!

I have been expressly promised a callback, but they said the same last week and didn't, so I won't hold my breath.

I'm also still trying without success to get them to honour the £520 discount on my order.

I am really not impressed with Tesla support so far 😠

Most likely because they get asked the same questions a 100 times a day
I'd lose my mind if I were them too o_O

Reactions: JOL1
I may have got this wrong from previous posts but I thought VIN’s got issued before Suez and delivery slots after Suez?

The only true and realistic pattern is as follows:

(1) Tesla issues buyer's with EDD based on historical statistics in hand, EDD is only an estimate;

(2) Tesla manufactures all vehicles with whatever parts are available at time of manufacture (just in time) and skips installation of parts which are not required for normal operation of vehicle;

(3) Tesla ships vehicles with first available vessel for the target destination;

(4) Tesla allocates vehicles to orders when it finds prudent based on its own internal variables and shortly after VINs are displayed against orders, this can range from date the vehicle loaded on the vessel and in the worst case after the vehicle arrives at the destination port. After vehicles are allocated to orders, Tesla will reallocate a different vehicle (VIN) in case the vehicle requires remedy of in-transit damage, usually a wheel or minor body repair;

(5) if and only if when there are no pending recalls on vehicle models, or once pending recalls are remedied (whether software or hardware) meaning vehicles are in an acceptable state for delivery, orders are allocated and scheduled with delivery dates.

Reactions: S3XY T3SLA
?? How can a car they already have in their possession move to 2023? Sounds like that car has gone elsewhere and they've just ordered you a replacement from Shanghai
That is the nightmare scenario, that they have messed up, don't have my car, and have just bumped me to the back of the queue. I have cancelled my old order too which was November EDD after asking them to confirm they had this car and everything was correct!

Still hoping its not that and it is just some automated system updating the EDD incorrectly, but given how haphazard their support team seem to be I do fear the worst.

What would you do in my situation?

Maybe I am in a good mood today and maybe I banged my head in my sleep, having perhaps refreshed my EDD a few times today already to ensure we have not moved back 3 months, and checked my fellow expectant Tesla owners in the waiting room, but how do other car manufacturers compare. We looked at VW, but found many of their nearly new cars were above RRP, we were also given indications of 6 to 9 months for a new car. Are we being too harsh on Tesla, given the lockdowns, shortage of parts, ect, could we not look at the rollercoaster of EDD and emotions and think they are trying thier best to narrow down delivery times, by calculating via an algorythm of sorts? The fact they are trying to give an idea, rather than perhaps just saying 3 to 9 months like other manufacturers. Toyota told me I could reserve a BZ4X, yet they didn't have any in showrooms and were not aware when they would come in, but i could order one, what's the point? I get it's a lot of money, but under the circumstances are we being to harsh, on Tesla trying to give us something anything of an idea, even though it's an estimate in the best possible terms and the staff are as much in th know as we are ? just saying, maybe i will change my tune later if my EDD moves again.😅

Last edited:
That is the nightmare scenario, that they have messed up, don't have my car, and have just bumped me to the back of the queue. I have cancelled my old order too which was November EDD after asking them to confirm they had this car and everything was correct!

Still hoping its not that and it is just some automated system updating the EDD incorrectly, but given how haphazard their support team seem to be I do fear the worst.

Write an email to Tesla's UK CEO/MD. They have most probably allocated your vehicle to another screening customer or to a showroom. Although there is also a problem with current orders of vehicles on the high seas based on statistics which should have been matched within a few days after vessel departure and they have yet to be matched, there is clearly an outstanding issue awaiting resolution. But you purchased an inventory vehicle already on the ground, even if awaiting resolution of a recall software update (unless the remedy had a requirement for a hardware retrofit) it should have been delivered soon

I am kind of in your situation. We recently moved back from Australia to the UK. I order a MYLR in March before returning to the UK. At the time, the EDD suggested I would get the Tesla not too long after arriving, so took out a hire car. The Shanghai affair happened (not Tesla's fault) and the EDDs went very fluid, so I ordered an Inventory MYLR understanding I would get it within 2 weeks, the normal period, according to Tesla. I didn't cancel the new car order, but subsequently have been informed it may be 6 or more weeks before I get the inventory car, even though Tesla tell me it is in at the Reading dealer awaiting the Service Centre team signing off its release.

With the expectation a ship will arrive in late June, I'm now in a situation of having both cars arriving at the same time. Given I have a hire car burning a hole in my pocket, I'm taking whichever arrives first, assuming the inventory car (<200 miles on the clock) is in near perfect condition.

If I were you, I would either just wait it out as EDDs change regularly as supply changes, people cancel orders, etc. Hard news to take I know...

Last edited:
So, my trade in has expired. Email asking for latest reading. - Does anyone know how long this process takes to get a new trade in value. As now my account as been reset - showing I have the deposit to pay - I'm able to change options on my car and the delivery centre. Before it basically said you're all paid and wait for delivery. At the moment the EDD has not changed or moved - not that that really means anything. I know the first valuation was a couple of weeks. Thanks.

This is the same situation for me too. The whole purchase experience has been so far below what I would expect. It has just become a hassle trying to deal with Tesla, they don't seem to know what is actually going on half the time. I was made to cancel my order as I was promised the inventory car was ready to go and now I don't know if it even exists! :mad:

Reactions: pault1981
The whole EV market is a giant bottleneck ATM. I even considered a used car but the prices are close to, or exceeding the showroom costs. I considered getting a cheap little EV runaround but they do not exist, with an 8 year old Zoe going for close to 10 grand with a battery lease.

There is literally nowhere to go. If I could order and pick up an Ioniq 5 next week, I'd have done it by now but they have a 6+ month wait too just like all over popular EVs.

It's going to take years to stabilise, so I guess a 6-9 month wait in the scheme of things isn't the end of the world, no matter how frustrating it is when juggling holidays, selling existing cars and getting home chargers installed.

Reactions: Daedalus
The whole EV market is a giant bottleneck ATM. I even considered a used car but the prices are close to, or exceeding the showroom costs. I considered getting a cheap little EV runaround but they do not exist, with an 8 year old Zoe going for close to 10 grand with a battery lease.

There is literally nowhere to go. If I could order and pick up an Ioniq 5 next week, I'd have done it by now but they have a 6+ month wait too just like all over popular EVs.

It's going to take years to stabilise, so I guess a 6-9 month wait in the scheme of things isn't the end of the world, no matter how frustrating it is when juggling holidays, selling existing cars and getting home chargers installed.
You can buy a ZOE lease out. We did that so a 15plate car cost us all in 9.5k with 2.4K of that buying the lease.

Reactions: MattM76