Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a question for anyone lucky enough to already have their Tesla.. :)
Could anyone please give some dimensions of the mobile connector box (Bit with LEDs on it) + Initial Thick Cable?

Unfortunately I live a new build house which has a detached garage with no power.
So I will be running a wire through my garage shortly so I can at least slow charge my Tesla using the mobile connector. (Better than nothing)
The wire will come out from my garage door by about 1 meter where there will be an RCD socket with the tesla charger plugged in.

So I need a lockable waterproof box big enough to encase an RCD socket + mobile connector + thick wire (Bit that plugs into house socket).
But I do not know what size to get.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me the dimensions!

Kind Regards.

Reactions: Snowy77
Could anyone please give some dimensions of the mobile connector box (Bit with LEDs on it) + Initial Thick Cable?

Unfortunately I live a new build house which has a detached garage with no power.
So I will be running a wire through my garage shortly so I can at least slow charge my Tesla using the mobile connector. (Better than nothing)
The wire will come out from my garage door by about 1 meter where there will be an RCD socket with the tesla charger plugged in.

So I need a lockable waterproof box big enough to encase an RCD socket + mobile connector + thick wire (Bit that plugs into house socket).

Kind Regards.

Sorry not quite got there yet on the ownership, but there is a box on Amazon:

BMZX Tesla Home Charger Box Charging Cable Organizer Box Distribution Storage Box, Wall Mounting Connector Metal Box for Tesla Model S Model X Model 3 Model Y Amazon.co.uk

What I would say based on my experience of a Mitsi PHEV is that you need a lot of ventilation around the plug and the block.

You are basically generating heat from a 2KW charger, a kettle sized power pull.

I use a secure plug and leave the block under the car in a 20" square box with ventilation around.

Not sure if this really answers the exact question, but it works and remember ventilation is king.

Kind Regards.
From the owner's manual on the Tesla website, it is:

Height: 7.1 in (179.8 mm) Width: 3.2 in (81.7 mm) Depth: 1.9 in (47.3 mm)

The plug to connector cable is very short, certainly less than 12 inches. I'm sure you don't need me to say that it is not recommended to plug the mobile connector into an extension lead... but if you have to, please do make sure the cable you get is good and chunky!

Kind Regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 23.27.16.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 23.27.16.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 69
Sorry not quite got there yet on the ownership, but there is a box on Amazon:

BMZX Tesla Home Charger Box Charging Cable Organizer Box Distribution Storage Box, Wall Mounting Connector Metal Box for Tesla Model S Model X Model 3 Model Y Amazon.co.uk

What I would say based on my experience of a Mitsi PHEV is that you need a lot of ventilation around the plug and the block.

You are basically generating heat from a 2KW charger, a kettle sized power pull.

I use a secure plug and leave the block under the car in a 20" square box with ventilation around.

Not sure if this really answers the exact question, but it works and remember ventilation is king.
Thanks for the link, but the price for this box is crazy expensive.

There are other waterproof boxes which are a fraction of the price.

I didn't realize that they generated a lot of heat but makes sense. I will make sure I find an oversized box with ventilation now. Thanks.

From the owner's manual on the Tesla website, it is:

Height: 7.1 in (179.8 mm) Width: 3.2 in (81.7 mm) Depth: 1.9 in (47.3 mm)

The plug to connector cable is very short, certainly less than 12 inches. I'm sure you don't need me to say that it is not recommended to plug the mobile connector into an extension lead... but if you have to, please do make sure the cable you get is good and chunky!
I have seen a video on YouTube which shows a 50mtr extension lead working with the mobile connector.

I have a single piece 25 metre, 40 amp 12 gauge armoured cable which will run from an outside socket to and through my garage to the charger.

It will then go into an rcd socket which the charger will plug into.

I've spent a long time trying to work this out and this seems the correct combination.

Unless anyone else thinks differently, any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

Thanks for the link, but the price for this box is crazy expensive.

There are other waterproof boxes which are a fraction of the price.

I didn't realize that they generated a lot of heat but makes sense. I will make sure I find an oversized box with ventilation now. Thanks.

No problem, to be honest, I wouldn't pay that either. As an example of what you might need it is OK.

I sometimes find Farnell or RS are OK, but way more expensive than Amazon or ebay. Maybe split the units to help with heat dissipation.

I have seen a video on YouTube which shows a 50mtr extension lead working with the mobile connector.

I have a single piece 25 metre, 40 amp 12 gauge armoured cable which will run from an outside socket to and through my garage to the charger.

I've spent a long time trying to work this out and this seems the correct combination.

Thank you.

I agree that will work. It's about getting the heavy duty power as close as possible to the final connection

Thank you.
I'm far from an authority on these things, but should the RCD not be at the outside socket point, rather than the mobile connector end?

Thank you.
If you are relying mainly on charging from home and see yourself there for the foreseeable, give some thought to going the full way and install a home charger in garage or wherever you find convenient. it will cost some money but will charge 3 times as fast as a 3 pin plug and be safer. Just a thought

Reactions: MikeyM

Thank you.
I am possibly being a bit obtuse here, but why would you not put up aTesla 3rd Generation wall point?
They are much improved over Gen 2 but not too pointlessly clever for their own good.
What!?! I never mentioned the car itself🤔

Hi All,

QQ: I'm assuming the Model Y still comes with a Type 2 charger to plug into my PodPoint.

When I had it fitted back in Jan for a Skoda Enyaq I went with the cables version as the Skoda had all the cables needed to plug into the PodPoint.

Been thinking about the car delivery etc and forgot this rather fundamental point.

Hi All,

QQ: I'm assuming the Model Y still comes with a Type 2 charger to plug into my PodPoint.

When I had it fitted back in Jan for a Skoda Enyaq I went with the cables version as the Skoda had all the cables needed to plug into the PodPoint.

Been thinking about the car delivery etc and forgot this rather fundamental point.
Just found the following which appears to imply yes Charging Connectors

I pick up mine in Bristol which is about 1 1/2 - 2hrs from Southampton. You can add another couple of hours to London and Birmingham I suppose.

Made me ponder use of transporters:

Southampton-Bluewater (Google maps, in a car) 1h41m (Bristol is the same)

Southampton-Staines 1h01m

1 hour load, 1 hours unload, 8 hours shift - that changes the deliveries-per-shift from 1.5 to 2 ...

... and I expect that the access to Staines (looks a complete dump. in the middle of nowhere, on StreetView) is easier / quicker than Bluewater.

Reactions: Kingpopsy
Just realised this was updated in Dec 21 and doesn't take into account Model Y or mobile.power adaptor bring removed.

I know the cut off date was April 16th for the mobile power connector to be removed as a standard accessory with the car. Anyone who ordered earlier get it with their Model Y this week?
The UMC hasn’t been removed in Europe.