Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.2.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaFi said:
Software version 2023.2.0.5 f93797d0a was just installed on a 2015 Tesla Model S 90D in North Carolina United States. Follow the 2023.2.0.5 f93797d0a release at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker.

First evidence of a 2023 update

Preliminary unofficial release notes. Many not UK relevant 2023.2.0.5 unOfficial Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

Sentry mode changes maybe useful if it reduces light distractions for all lighting configurations.

Seems like there are different versions of heated steering wheels. Irrespective, not relevant to us but some may find it useful. I quite like the auto seat heaters that we already have.

Last edited:
I have it waiting for download - which I’ve delayed, purely because the battery is only 22% after I forgot to plug in last night. Release notes are 'minor bug fixes'

(i should add that I have no access to cheap night rates and I don't like the car plugged in overnight on cold nights..warm batteries attract rodents despite 'ratmat' and deployed bait boxes)

Reactions: MrBadger
Not a very ambitious update if these release notes are complete.

I'm interested in the 'Speed assist' feature. The car already seems pretty good at detecting speed limits and the position at which they change in my experience, even dynamic (eg motorway gantry) ones. Have I been imagining this and just getting very lucky with map data? The release notes imply that the car currently doesn't use the camera for this function.

I'm interested in the 'Speed assist' feature.
Germany and Spain only it seems. Not sure if they lagged the current UK functionality or if this is an improvement over the existing UK functionality.

Imagine hearing all the feedback about people unhappy with Sentry flashing the headlights on activation, and deciding that instead of making it configurable that it should pulse for 60 seconds instead.

I've not seen the feature in action yet but a 'pulse' effect to me suggests it's less dramatic than a full on flash. I've no idea why it's required for 60 seconds though, perhaps a regulation somewhere that states you need to let people know if they're being filmed?

I'm interested to know if the pulse effect works on pre-matrix headlamps too.

A user in the US has confirmed that they can still vent their windows with this update for anyone that was worried about this function being removed.

Reactions: Mullermn
I've not seen the feature in action yet but a 'pulse' effect to me suggests it's less dramatic than a full on flash. I've no idea why it's required for 60 seconds though, perhaps a regulation somewhere that states you need to let people know if they're being filmed?
I was wondering if this is why the flashing is present.

I think it's debatable that this would constitute informing people if it was challenged in the UK since you'd have to know Teslas pretty well to spot the significance of the flashing but this could be a(nother) case of Tesla chancing their arm with an approach and waiting to see if they get challenged on it.

Germany and Spain only it seems. Not sure if they lagged the current UK functionality or if this is an improvement over the existing UK functionality.
Having checked the UK Model Y manual (which I should have done in the first place) it provides a list of reasons why the speed detection functionality might not work:
Speed Assist may not be fully functional or may provide inaccurate information in these situations:
Visibility is poor and speed limit signs are not clearly visible (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.).
Bright light (such as from oncoming headlights or direct sunlight) is interfering with the view of the camera(s).
Model Y is being driven very close to a vehicle in front of it which is blocking the view of the camera(s).
The windshield is obstructing the view of the camera(s) (fogged over, dirty, covered by a sticker, etc.).
Speed limit signs are concealed by objects.
The speed limits stored in the map database are incorrect or outdated.
Model Y is being driven in an area where GPS or map data is not available or where speed limit signs can not be detected.
Traffic signs that do not conform to standard recognizable formats, such as digital or temporary speed signs.
A road or a speed limit has recently changed.
So that would suggest it already uses both maps and cameras, but doesn't clarify what the logic is.

I was wondering if this is why the flashing is present.

I think it's debatable that this would constitute informing people if it was challenged in the UK since you'd have to know Teslas pretty well to spot the significance of the flashing but this could be a(nother) case of Tesla chancing their arm with an approach and waiting to see if they get challenged on it.
Agreed, the notification was just a supposition and seems unlikely. I guess the only reasons the lights flash are to attract attention to the car and anyone trying to harm it.

Source for the Germany/Spain only for 'get speed sign recognition':

Maybe they were using map data before, instead of car cameras?
I think you're right.

The string of responses under that tweet are a mix of people across Europe saying 'So we still don't get it?' and 'I'm confused, don't we already have this?' so it seems to vary depending on region.

Reactions: Medved_77
Having checked the UK Model Y manual (which I should have done in the first place) it provides a list of reasons why the speed detection functionality might not work:

So that would suggest it already uses both maps and cameras, but doesn't clarify what the logic is.
Given the number of times mine picks up 30 signs from junction exits while I'm still driving on the right lane of the motorway and start chiming believing I'm doing 40 over the speed limit, I'd say it needs to be improved before it gets any wider roll-out...