Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 75D or 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one regret people have after buying the x is they didn’t buy the 100 battery
We have x100d and love it, absolutely no range anxiety. I recommend bitting the bullet and get the 100d

Not for a country as small as the UK. 150 miles in virtually any direction from my house will see me at/near the coast. Even our old 60D X was fine for range in the UK.

If your rolling around in money than clearly buy a P100D, but for alot of people in a country like the UK the extra range of the 100D over 75D will rarely if ever be needed.

Range anxiety is what you experience in a 24kWh Leaf going down the A14 in rain/cold with a lorries lining up trying to overtake you as you limp home at 50mph after daring to travel 30 miles away from the house - trust me its not fun, in a Tesla it just doesn't exist, which ever battery version you get.

Last edited:
Not for a country as small as the UK. 150 miles in virtually any direction from my house will see me at/near the coast. Even our old 60D X was fine for range in the UK.

If your rolling around in money than clearly buy a P100D, but for alot of people in a country like the UK the extra range of the 100D over 75D will rarely if ever be needed.

Range anxiety is what you experience in a 24kWh Leaf going down the A14 in rain/cold with a lorries lining up trying to overtake you as you limp home at 50mph after daring you travel 30 miles away from the house - trust me its not fun, in a Tesla it just doesn't exist, which ever battery version you get.

I don't have my MX yet but from all the reading and calculations ive done on my journey deciding if i should go EV the 75D is plenty. In the past 6 months the longest single journey ive done was a 150 Mile roundtrip which took me past 2 super chargers, not that id need either.

I could agree more with @gangzoom if you got money to burn "like Tesla is doing,,,, lol" they go for it but that £17 could be better spent i'm sure :)

If your actually doing maybe 50 - 60 miles a 75D is plenty range. To put things in perspective I used a Kia Soul EV as my commuter doing that. Also, for those longer drive days or trips where you actually might need to charge check to see about local charging stations in your area both by Tesla and for other EVs. Have a few adapters handy.

Ignore the more gadgets in 100D remark, other than a larger battery pack you can have the exact same features. Finally, double check your local insurers... there was no real difference between 75 & 100. What made the difference for insurance in my area is getting one with ludicrous mode.

I have a somewhat different perspective, but agree that it takes some Man-maths to justify the bigger battery ... and if you genuinely don't need it then you definitely don't need it.

Occasionally you might find you are sitting at a super charger for fifteen minutes longer than you would have done had you bought the 100D and very occasionally you might do an extra super charger stop.

I drive about 27,000 miles p.a. use a Supercharger about one day a month (sometimes twice on that day). If I had a 75 (rather than 90 in my case) I'd use a Supercharger on about 3 days a month; allowing for the time to get off the road into the services and some charging time even a splash-and-dash is probably minimum 15 minutes, and perhaps 30 minutes for a 100 mile top-up. On my occasional longer journeys I'd add 30 minutes or more in 75 rather than 100. Those savings are definitely worth £300 a month to me ...

Self-driving and autopilot I can drive myself.

That's not my view. I arrive FAR more refreshed on AP than I ever did driving myself, and I have had at least one occasion where AP (most probably) saved me rear-ending a car. Joined highway, engaged AP, a few 100 yards later looked down at dash. I was at a sensible distance from car in front, had reasonable view of road / traffic beyond that, but as I looked down the traffic slowed up abruptly, first I knew about it was because AP was slowing down. Maybe I would have seen, and reacted, in time .... either way, I don't care if ME or AP deals with danger, the both of us is better than either of us on our own. Cheaper insurance with AP too (in UK at least). Bumper-to-bumper traffic is FAR less stressful / effort than manual driving too. Plenty of that in the UK ...

150 miles in virtually any direction from my house will see me at/near the coast

That's fine if you have charging at destination. My normal max-range journey is also 100-150 miles max, but its an out-and-back journey so going to need some charging.

So, anything ~200 miles or less round trip Neither have to charge, and anything over ~250 miles you will have to charge with both. That leaves a ~25 mile extra distance from home range that you can make in a 100D than a 75D, not likely to happen all that often and if it does it takes 10-15 minutes to get that extra range at a supercharger.

I do the maths a bit differently.

My 90 is good for 220 real-world miles (normal, fine, warm day) if 100% charged. Worst case I have ever had was charged to 100% at departure, 160 mile journey, torrential rain, and arrived with only 1%

If my journey is 160+ miles I (now) charge to 100%. I do get detours for one reason or another: road closed, Waze takes me the wrong way round M25,(because its going to save hours!), or Wife calling me and wants me to pick something up ... in all such cases chances are with a 75 I would be needing to charge or I would forgo the the option (not if the journey was short in the first place of course ... but on a longer journey if the unexpected requires extra-charging its a PITA)

For me a larger battery is about:

On a longer journey stop for less time to charge, and borderline journeys no charging needed at all (i.e. where a 75 would need charging). If you can do Emails at the Supercharger, which you would otherwise have to do when you got home, it makes no difference, and the enforced-rest is good for the driver anyway. But for a passenger it just prolongs the journey ... my wife is quite happy to Supercharge, but she hates the delay when I am driving ...

I most definitely do NOT want to have to charge on outbound leg. I have an arrival time (e.g. with client) and don't want risk that the stalls are full and I have to wait, or the charger is running slow for some reason. On the way home I don't care much, I just arrive home a bit later (having done some extra emails ...). So absolutely do not want a battery that requires any (reasonable length) journey to require outbound-charge. If I cannot get to Client AND back to Supercharger then I would have to charge on Outbound leg.

Superchargers are not that abundant in the UK. Of course that situation is improving all the time ... and my purchase decision was based on how it was, back then, a couple of years ago. If buying today I would review all the out-of-range journeys that I am likely to make, and see how well they are served by Superchargers. I can get up the A1 in the 90 where (in a 75) I would probably have to detour to the M1 to get a Supercharger for some of the east-side-of-country places that I visit.

Bigger battery also gives more options as to WHERE to charge. Supercharger stop can involve a detour (if not en-route) so that's more miles used detouring there, and back ... and time. Or using a slower charger to avoid the detour ... if bigger battery enables charging somewhere more convenient, and avoids that detour/delay, there is a cost/benefit to consider.

If you have CHAdeMO (what's that? £300-ish perhaps??) then you have a fall back for 50%-supercharger speed, but if not you are on Type-2 and that's dismally slow unless you are there for a long time for other reasons. I've used my CHAdeMO twice in two years, but my guesstimate is that if I had 75 I (in my circumstances) would have had to use it more. Probably to the tune of several £n,000 of my time ... (but Cash is King of course, so Man-Maths involved to justify spending any extra cash!)

The other edge-condition is for the travelling-salesman. Stopping multiple times, for an hour, in winter lets the battery cool and the energy used for the first 10-20 minutes of each resumed journey is horrific. Luckily I don't have that type of usage. (If you can plug in, even to 13AMP, at each client then that would significantly mitigate that resume-journey energy penalty)

@Dilvid My recommendation would be to try out your worst-case routes in A Better Route Planner. You can set MS / MX (or M3 even) and 75 or 100 (make sure that the Wh/mile changes appropriately when you select a different vehicle type), and if you like you can also set temperature to 0C and a reasonable wind speed, and for the worse possible journey select the "Heavy rain" energy-penalty. It will route you via Superchargers if needed, so easy to compare how a journey would be with one model vs. another.

(You might want to also have a look in the UK Sub-Forum - folk there may miss posts in the main forums as they are so busy - by comparison the UK-forum is a backwater, but the incumbents may have useful info :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: J1mbo
I drive about 27,000 miles p.a.

27K PA is about 3 times more than what the 'average' UK driver does!! In your case surely getting a 100D is a no-brainer?

I've done 16K in our X in 12 months, which I think is good going given my commute is only 5 miles!! I've genuinely have come across no issues for range, but I did own a 24kWh Nissan Leaf for 2 years, so I understand the ture meaning of range anxiety.

What it really comes down to is how much £300/month or £17k is worth to you. Only the OP knows their personal finances.

In your case surely getting a 100D is a no-brainer?

Majority of my annual-miles is the daily commute, which is well within range, so the frequency of my "out and about" journeys are probably not that dissimilar to "normal" user ... although my AP stress-saving is probably much higher :)

meant to say earlier: for best-range have the smaller wheels, although some people particularly like the look of the bigger-diameter ones. Could easily be a 20% extra energy penalty with the bigger wheels.

Reactions: gangzoom
Majority of my annual-miles is the daily commute, which is well within range, so the frequency of my "out and about" journeys are probably not that dissimilar to "normal" user ... although my AP stress-saving is probably much higher :)

meant to say earlier: for best-range have the smaller wheels, although some people particularly like the look of the bigger-diameter ones. Could easily be a 20% extra energy penalty with the bigger wheels.

You must be doing 100 miles a day roughly for commuting, so 2-3hrs a day in the car??

I did that for 3 years nearly killed me towards the end, I know people do manage longterm(like yourself) but there are days when I wish my 5 mile commute was shorter!!!

Anyone spending that long in any car should get spend as much on the car as they want, if your spending so much time in it makes sense to get the best you can afford, maybe time to swap the 90 for a P100D L :).

You must be doing 100 miles a day roughly for commuting, so 2-3hrs a day in the car??

Just under (but some running around to nearby clients would bring it up to that daily-average). Its all dual carriageway, commute leave-early, return-late, so normally miss any heavy traffic and then its 45 minutes each way ... but it will be bliss when the thing drives itself, FSD, to work ... that's nearly 2 extra working hours a day to bill out :)

maybe time to swap the 90 for a P100D L

I'll tell wifee that you thought it was essential ... :)

I went with X 90D....and can tell you that my next car will be a 100D. I have a relatively small commute and technically only would need to charge every other day. That said, i still charge every night as you never know what emergency or additional trip one may need to take on. On longer commute or travel, you will be facing range anxiety...and as more people get electric cars, charging at public station may become more difficult during specific time of the year (vacation, Xmas, etc..)....it s not just stopping but also having to find a spot.
last but not least, i find that what ever range my car is telling me it can do, I have to remove 1/3 of it due to either air conditioning, heat,( or my driving style).
I came to realize that as much as i love my tesla, it could not be my primary or only car. To dependent of charging station location and my region (jersey - NY) have a tendency to lose power during storm or winter to frequently.

I'd get the 75D. There are lot's of superchargers in the UK (compared to Australia).
I live 20kms from a supercharger and never go.
Totally depends on your usage though, but if you don't need the range don't bother.

disclaimer...i do not have any information as to the status of supercharger network in Europe (growth, availability, etc..) ...but from the US perspective, growth in chicago- detroit has been quite slow and the east coast has some particular gaps...(no chargers in philadelphia- king of prussia area?).
What s fueling my concerns is that the growth of charging stations is not matching the growth of electric cars (such as Model 3). I have not had any issue finding a spot in charging station in US but i am concerned that it may be an issue in the near future...again i might be overly cautious as this is not an issue today.

but from the US perspective, growth in chicago- detroit has been quite slow and the east coast has some particular gaps

The key thing is OP is based in the UK. Uk is a tiny country compared to the US. Add to that the majority of the population live south of Edinburgh/Glasgow, and once you North of Aberdeen it really is just empty of any thing.

Before we got our X I looked at how far 150 miles of range would get us. As you can see thats pretty much the whole of England!!!

A true 300 mile range EV like a long range Model 3/100D S could pretty much get us from our house to anywhere we would want to go and back without ever needing to worry about charging!!

31198160895_ca255c3afb_o_d.jpg

I made an out-of-range trip yesterday, I don't know if it is the sort of thing that O/P would do, but its representative of my once-or-twice-a-month type of trips (got another one today, as it happens ...)

From work, near Cambridge, went to Birmingham, and then back home (Suffolk). There isn't a suitable Supercharger directly on route. The direct route is 249 miles, 3h39m driving and looks like this:

TR01.jpg

Supercharger choices involve a detour:

TR02.jpg

my favoured route would be #1 Hopwood Park (loads of stalls, big motorway services, the downstairs Starbucks had run out of Hot Chocolate but the one upstairs hadn't ...)

#2 at Northampton is 6 stalls and a hotel to sit and have a coffee in, Newport Pagnell has 12 stalls but a bit inconvenient unless travelling South (its at Southbound motorway services, but there is a "No unauthorised access" route to it).

A Better Route Planner favours stopping at Northampton on the way home. That detour adds 15 miles ... (it predicts arriving at 15%, personally I would have stopped at Newport Pagnell (11%), more stalls there ...)

I favoured Birmingham Hoopwood because it gave me the option to stop outbound if we were in good time (Google said the outbound journey could be between 2 and 3 hours on a Friday afternoon ... so leaving 3 hours meant guaranteed arrival time if traffic, or arrival with full charge if medium traffic :) )

ABRP said return journey charge would be arrive at Hopwood Park 40% and charge to 78% 18 minutes. Detour added 11 miles. Total driving +13 mins and 18mins charging.

I also checked the outbound-charge in ABRP and it predicted arrival SOC as 42% and charge to 82% (which is into taper of course, so not ideal timewise) driving also +13 mins and 22mins charging. As it happened we made reasonable time and charged outbound. There was a major holdup on A14 and mile after mile of roadworks on M6 and we arrived at 46% (so a couple of minutes charging saved ...)

We left when time was up on the basis of also charging on way home if necessary. Actually (now I check TeslaFi) we left spot-on 82%.

I figured we could detour down M1 on the way home if necessary ... the roadworks on M6, homebound, increased car's TRIP energy graph by a couple of percent and predicted arrival at home at 14% so when I got to the decision point at the M6/M1 split I was confident no need to stop, so we came home the direct route and arrived at 15% (cruise set to 75-80 where no traffic)

ABRP says that a 75 would need to charge (outbound at Hopwood Park) for 30 minutes (charge to 88%, lots of taper ...). Clearly we would have had to leave earlier, or abandon that charge and top-up on way home (ABRP would take me to Thetford on the way home which would be pretty soul-destroying as its near home, but in the wrong direction!) adding another 10 miles. Adding Newport Pagnell instead would be much the same Driving +25mins, total charging 22 mins (more efficient as both stops at low SOC and no taper)

So my actual 90D route prediction was 3h52m, and the 75D route was 4h05m, an extra 13 minutes driving and an extra stop ... the range-convenience (once I got over the initial purchase cost increase ...) is definitely nice-to-have.

IMO the mistake people make is to focus on a single journey.

If you dont have home or destination charging then the bigger battery can mean less trips to public chargers.

While working 100 miles away from home last year, it was a royal PITA to have to spend over 2hrs charging (incl. driving to the nearest rapid charger and back) on a Weds or Thurs evening because it was my only charging option for getting home. Hotel was about 10miles from office. Nearest SC was a 60 mile round trip.

A 100D would have just about done it, but no chance in the 90D.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I did 430km hop yesterday in 75D. It used 110kWh for the trip and there were no superchargers on the route, only chademos. Neither 100 or the 75 would survive without charging all the way, but the 75 had to fill up for 50kWh and the 100 would have managed with 30kWh fill-up (it consumes a bit more). 20kWh more that the 75 had to charge from chademo is 30 minutes. 100 is clearly better for sure. Hope we eventually get a supercharger here...

Personally I think 300 mile-range will become the norm fairly soon (well, for those who need more than "local"), and I think that will happen at about the same time as Government spend a fortune of taxpayers money subsidising a rapid charger network -- which will then be significantly less necessary.

I think the issue for 100D vs. 75D, for those who don't need it often, is justifying it in the first place.

I ordered an 85 (at that time 75, 85 and 90 available) which was discontinued during my Wait, so I had the option to take 85 immediately (no good for me) or downgrade/upgrade.

I struggled with the Upgrade decision on the grounds that I had done all the "research" originally and decided 85 was sufficient, and 90 was a fair bit more. Now that I've forgotten about how much that cost I'm glad I went "up" rather than "down".

In that scenario I seriously wouldn't consider buying an EV in the first place.

Well, I did - took delivery when the only SC in the UK was at the Crystal and couldn't get home charging for about 6 months. Worked out OK but nowhere near as convenient as home charging. A 100D (not available at the time) would have worked better than the P85.