Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Accessory suppliers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few things I want but not urgent to warrant buying from the states and pay extortionate carriage, and customs charges.

Are there any web sites or places to get things like the roof noise reduction kit, or anyone know the exact size etc, there are plenty of silicone tubing / cord manufactures in the UK.

Stickers for the door opening buttons.

Any wrapping companies in the SE that can wrap the wood effect console, and centre console.

there is a mint to be made for a UK dealer like abstract ocean.

I have a few things I want but not urgent to warrant buying from the states and pay extortionate carriage, and customs charges.

Are there any web sites or places to get things like the roof noise reduction kit, or anyone know the exact size etc, there are plenty of silicone tubing / cord manufactures in the UK.

Stickers for the door opening buttons.

Any wrapping companies in the SE that can wrap the wood effect console, and centre console.

there is a mint to be made for a UK dealer like abstract ocean.

No, there isn’t. You can get a few items Abstract Ocean quality in the UK direct, but if you want a centre console wrap, for example, you need to go to AO.

We tagged ours onto our Abstract Ocean order. Model 3 Noise Reduction Kit works out about £15.50 less any further discount code plus p&p/import

Excellent video on there too which convinced me to buy.

Does this make a noticeable difference to wind noise? I saw another video of someone fitting a similar door noise reduction kit, seemed a little more complex. And I did wonder, why the hell would a £50k car need this? I can obviously hear wind noise in my Model 3 but I’m not sure it’s much worse than my previous Audi. A little perhaps.

Awaiting delivery, but will update once fitted.

But lets put it this way, with the gaps around the roof glass like there are, I would be surprised if it did not make a difference. Not sure if I would have bothered if I was not already ordering stuff.

Does this make a noticeable difference to wind noise? I saw another video of someone fitting a similar door noise reduction kit, seemed a little more complex. And I did wonder, why the hell would a £50k car need this? I can obviously hear wind noise in my Model 3 but I’m not sure it’s much worse than my previous Audi. A little perhaps.
I imagine it does make an improvement. Given the gaps around the roof glass panels, I assume so. I am not bothered by the wind noise on my 3 and don’t find it worse than other cars we have owned. The wind noise may be more noticeable because of how quiet the cabin environment otherwise is (I also notice more tyre noise and am pretty sure the tyres are no worse than on other cars we have owned, so chalk that up to the quiet cabin as well).

As to why Tesla did not include the stripping on the roof, perhaps it is due to not being machine installable and requiring extra hand work on the assembly line? Every extra step must be costed in and inevitably there will be compromises made. This from a company that is now excluding front boot mats, even on premium interior cars. The mat must be a pretty low cost item to Tesla if they sell them for £30...

thanks, quicker we get a UK supply the better, someone is missing out :)
Working on it...just need the Brexit shenanigans sorted out, as that (potentially) has an impact on strategy.

Honest question though, is it the shipping cost (Around $6 for a console wrap, less if you have VIP status with us), the time in transit (around 12.5 days is our current average for the lowest cost option), or the risk of duty/customs/other BS fees that's off putting? I assume the time in transit, since Amazon sets the bar for that sort of thing, and having local fulfilment would of course help with that. Anyone remember the days of mail order, where you had to wait 4-6 weeks? Those were the days :)

Reactions: ProfessorK
Working on it...just need the Brexit shenanigans sorted out, as that (potentially) has an impact on strategy.

Honest question though, is it the shipping cost (Around $6 for a console wrap, less if you have VIP status with us), the time in transit (around 12.5 days is our current average for the lowest cost option), or the risk of duty/customs/other BS fees that's off putting? I assume the time in transit, since Amazon sets the bar for that sort of thing, and having local fulfilment would of course help with that. Anyone remember the days of mail order, where you had to wait 4-6 weeks? Those were the days :)
For me at least it’s the “risk” of potentially getting stung with duty and VAT. I’ve been very lucky with my Tesla parcels, but in the past I’ve had to pay duty and VAT, plus anything up to a £15 “handling fee” for processing the payment. Even Royal Mail charged an £8 handling fee the last time I got caught with them.

I would prefer the duty charges to be included at the invoice stage.

Reactions: MrBadger
it is the import duties, and fee, for a £160-00 transaction, that included £25-00 carriage, I was stung for over £40-00 import and handling fee, fee was £12-00 for parcel force, and the time, it was in customs for over a week.

if you source stuff though amazon, it seems like they have a deal, and you pay very little for some stuff. they get around import duties etc.

What gets me you order from china, it costs a couple of pounds for carriage, no import duties, and here in a couple of days.

Understood. The duty/tax thing varies by carrier. The short version is that anything that comes in through Royal Mail will rarely get caught if it's below 2.2kg, and generally 'looks' like a low value item (a value is always declared on the packaging, but as noted, the Chinese imports tend to be very low; we do show a reduced value, but we have to keep it within reason). Our 'lowest cost' shipping ultimately is delivered through Royal Mail. This will get interesting depending which way Brexit goes; if everything coming in from the EU also has to be 'checked', then Royal Mail are screwed, more so than they already ar with this stuff, and stuff will either get very slow, or slide through even easier.

The other carriers (DHL & UPS) are far more modern, and everything is transmitted electronically, and the declared value is supposed to include the shipping cost, which of course they know, so it's fairly easy for a package going through them to pick up duty, even if the declared value is low. Anything over $150 ships with one of those carriers, since we have to insure them, and that's either not possible, or stupidly complex with the lower cost options. We do have options though, we're working with both of them to waive the handling fee. This is a noegitated option, and I'm not sure if either will comply, but I'll know by next week. That's option 1. Option 2 is to deliver 'duty paid (DDP), this would of course mean that there's nothing required upon delivery, as it's either pre-paid, or charged back to our account for later payment. We're looking at options around this as well; there's various services that can figure out the duty (which vary by country, and product, so it's complicated), but the integration is difficult, and the shipping logic we use is already quite complex, so I'm cautious about messing around with it at this time of year. Finally there's another company owned by BA that might be a decent option, they do delivery DDP, and they're quite quick - in the 4-6 day range). We have a quote from them that we're going back and forth on.

This is a long way of saying that we get it, I've plenty of experience of ordering stuff from the US into the UK, and we're always looking to make the experience better. This feedback helps though.

Reactions: Obliter8 and Roy W.
We do have options though, we're working with both of them to waive the handling fee. This is a noegitated option, and I'm not sure if either will comply, but I'll know by next week. That's option 1. Option 2 is to deliver 'duty paid (DDP), this would of course mean that there's nothing required upon delivery, as it's either pre-paid, or charged back to our account for later payment.

I ordered on Saturday. Didn't see any option for duty paid. Just DHL or UPS (iirc). Did I miss something? I would have preferred to pay duty up front and not get stung by extra handling charge. Pretty sure I will incur duty as its got the jack point protectors in there so will probably be heavy.

I chose DHL as with UPS the best they can say for delivery is 'end of the day' so you end up having to wait in all day for a delivery. Plus DHL was cheaper as it was not expediated - didn't need that within reason. That said, I've also had problems with DHL in the past when package gets delivered to wrong address - maybe they will pay my duty!

Ordered my Model X (black with blk/white interior) last week and went for the standard silver 20" alloys as didn't want to pay the £5400 for the black 22" onxy ones. So looking for a good reliable 3rd party set... any recommendations?

Also read somewhere that the 22" seriously reduce the range (some people even changing back tot he 20" rims), anybody else found this or any advise?