Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK and Ireland Marketplace - For Sale / Wanted / Free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Sale. Aluminium foot pedal set for 2019-2021 Model 3 - £5+ P&P For sale. DM if interested.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi - Tesla S owner since 2015 here in Australia - does anyone have a broken 63A single phase wall connector with an OK cable/handle? (P)TPN: 1050069-01-G; (S)TSN: A16l0000105. I have damaged the cable on mine and would like to buy a replacement. This is a rare beast down under (here) and I note that it is an "EU" part. Tesla Australia does not sell replacement cable/connectors for this unit. Happy to pay to freight the unit to Melbourne.

Hi - Tesla S owner since 2015 here in Australia - does anyone have a broken 63A single phase wall connector with an OK cable/handle? (P)TPN: 1050069-01-G; (S)TSN: A16l0000105. I have damaged the cable on mine and would like to buy a replacement. This is a rare beast down under (here) and I note that it is an "EU" part. Tesla Australia does not sell replacement cable/connectors for this unit. Happy to pay to freight the unit to Melbourne.

What exactly is this? Unless it's for the original Roadster, I don't think any Wall Connector matching that description was ever sold in the UK.

OTOH, it seems a bit odd-ball for anything other than the Roadster: as I understand it, Model S/3/X in Australia uses the Type 2 connector (like we do here), but the Model S can't straightforwardly charge at more than 32A single phase from that.

It was rumoured that early Model S might be able to charge at higher rates if you put single phase on all three phase pins like the V1 mobile adapter did, though that would have overloaded the neutral pin and I don't think I ever heard confirmed reports from anyone who tried it. Post-refresh Model S supports single-phase differently and is even less likely to support >32A single phase.

Or maybe this is for an early import car with the Tesla North America charging connector rather than Type2? Those were never sold in the UK, but high-current single-phase wall connectors for those were sold in N. America and Hong Kong.

So I think your original quest for a direct replacement from the UK is unlikely to be satisfied. If this thing does in fact have a Type-2 connector on it and your car is somehow able to charge at 63A through that, obtaining a generic Type2 cable to suit (thus losing the Tesla button but keeping the charge capability) should be straightforward - but I'd expect you could find one of those locally.

What exactly is this? Unless it's for the original Roadster, I don't think any Wall Connector matching that description was ever sold in the UK.

OTOH, it seems a bit odd-ball for anything other than the Roadster: as I understand it, Model S/3/X in Australia uses the Type 2 connector (like we do here), but the Model S can't straightforwardly charge at more than 32A single phase from that.

It was rumoured that early Model S might be able to charge at higher rates if you put single phase on all three phase pins like the V1 mobile adapter did, though that would have overloaded the neutral pin and I don't think I ever heard confirmed reports from anyone who tried it. Post-refresh Model S supports single-phase differently and is even less likely to support >32A single phase.

Or maybe this is for an early import car with the Tesla North America charging connector rather than Type2? Those were never sold in the UK, but high-current single-phase wall connectors for those were sold in N. America and Hong Kong.
Hi arg – thank you for your response, much appreciated. Looks like I am going to find it difficult to rescue my damaged cable as Tesla will not supply and my wall connector appears to be a rarity. Following your reply I will try Hong Kong. As you can see from the photos, you are correct re Hong Kong (Chinese language); I was hoping that EU would mean UK.

For your info I can confirm charging at 63A single phase using 2 of the Mennekes phase pins. The Tesla 63A wall connector was supplied in 2016 with my P90D that had the additional internal charger – 22kW total. The connector handle is Type 2 Mennekes, as per EU. When I damaged the cable at the handle end I tried to take it apart to see if I could simply shorten and reconnect the cable, but the handle was completely filled and was solid, dismantlement was destructive. I found that to support the Neutral they had paired L3 and N cores, leaving L1 and L2 for the single phase 63A supply. The paired cores were welded together onto a special neutral sleeve. I could not get a Mennekes connector with a crimp end greater than 4mm diam, so could not copy the Neutral cable end by doubling up with a phase core. As you correctly state it would be dangerous to try to use a standard 3ph 32A cable as the Neutral will overload.

I can confirm that I currently charge at 50A single phase using a 5 core 10mm2 cable, Active through L1 and L2, with the 10mm Neutral. I use the 5th 10mm2 core as the PP. This cannot be used on the Tesla Connector as it requires 2 x 0.5mm cores through to the car, and a temperature sensor within the handle – hence my hope of finding a damaged unit. Thank you for the reply, Hong Kong next!

Attachments

• 1 63A part.jpeg
    1 63A part.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2 Data.jpeg
    2 Data.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 3 Manual.jpeg
    3 Manual.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 35
For your info I can confirm charging at 63A single phase using 2 of the Mennekes phase pins. The Tesla 63A wall connector was supplied in 2016 with my P90D that had the additional internal charger – 22kW total. The connector handle is Type 2 Mennekes, as per EU.

Aha, thanks for confirming that. It makes sense for that generation of cars, which could do 16A per phase per charger, normally used doubled-up for 32A single phase connected conventionally, and paralleled up with the V1 UMC for 32A single phase on cars with only one charger. All Model S in the UK were supplied with dual chargers (even if you'd only paid for one) due to a Government scheme subsidising (conventionally wired) 32A single phase chargepoints. Tesla experimented very briefly with getting the chargepoint suppliers to do the cross-wiring for 32A on two pins for the single charger cars, but it was discovered that this configuration (presumably the same as yours) would cause major damage to Renault Zoe if one was plugged in, so they relented and made the price of the 2nd charger give you a software unlock for 32A three-phase rather than relating the price to the hardware as originally intended.

Later Model S adopted the Model X charger so no longer had 22kW capability (but could handle 32A single phase natively).

I'm surprised you can't find a suitable connector, as 63A three-phase are quite common here on public chargepoints (for 44kW fast charging of those Renault Zoe - historically, CHAdeMO plus 63A AC dual-cable chargepoints were common). Admittedly I don't know what the connectors look like inside, possibly the neutral pin is smaller (though they don't look like it from the outside).

Edit: here's an (expired) Aliexpress listing for one: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001836076549.html

Last edited: