Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK and Ireland sub forum - your thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When US forum members try to answer questions here they often end up not helping.. because their experience is so different, despite posting with the best of intentions. Their experience is so different, and the terms they use are often quite different too.

In the context of a global forum global just becomes synonymous with 'American' because of their overwhelming numbers.. and effect is things which don't affect them are minimised or even treated as trolling (try saying voice control sucks on reddit, for example).

Here is a community of people with the same experience. We help each other, and the moderation is pretty good and keeps us civil. I'd be sad to lose that.

I’ve found this UK&I forum invaluable. Useful, helpful and relevant advice galore. And it’s the relevance point that adds value. A discussion on the supercharger network, or delivery issues, or service issues on the generic or model related forums tends to get USA focused quite quickly. I have no issues with that but it doesn’t help me to know how wonderful the charging infrastructure is in California, I’m more interested in what’s happening in the UK.

I‘d say I use the UK&I forum for 90-95% of my time on here. I occasionally dip into the Model 3 forum for car related info or, as I’m craving a hatchback, the Model Y forum to read about user experiences and issues there. It’s good to have both the global and local perspectives and discussions available.

When I first joined, I found it quite difficult to find the information I was looking for. I came across the UK & Ireland sub-forum and was pretty pleased tbh. There was so much other information across the forum that wasn’t relevant to my experience here, it was good find threads that seemed to be more relevant, and crucially, easier to sift through. I wouldn’t mind if this was a little wider and covered Western Europe too, but the RHD experience in this part of the site is quite specific.

When I first joined, I found it quite difficult to find the information I was looking for. I came across the UK & Ireland sub-forum and was pretty pleased tbh. There was so much other information across the forum that wasn’t relevant to my experience here, it was good find threads that seemed to be more relevant, and crucially, easier to sift through. I wouldn’t mind if this was a little wider and covered Western Europe too, but the RHD experience in this part of the site is quite specific.
When you get to my age, it’s a toss up whether to drive on the left or the other left…. :eek:

I posted a thread on the U.K. forum asking for views on people being very negative about the change to EVs.

I wanted a specifically U.K. perspective on this, because our transition to EVs is different than California. EVs are cheaper there. We have more choice of EVs here.

When the thread was moved by Moderator to the main global page, it took a very American focus.

The U.K. forum has its benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neilio and M3noob
When the thread was moved by Moderator to the main global page, it took a very American focus.

Moderator comment - It had already taken a very American focus by the time it was moved, which is why it was moved - not a decision taken lightly but it had gone far too global by then to have any UK and Ireland focus. If you want to ensure a UK and Ireland focus, it needs to be made clear in the post and/or title. Many people reply to posts they see in the latest or similar posts/threads feed and do not realise that they are posting in a regional sub forum.

I almost exclusively use the UK and Ireland forum. For all it’s many many stickies I just feel it’s more relevant to me.
The rest of the forum is pretty heavy with North American users. Which is fine, and obvious. However the driving experience in the US is so different to the UK that any comments on trips alert aren’t really relevant to me. Also there may be RHD quirks and they definitely have lower expectations with regards to build quality. I just find the UK Ireland forum suits me better.

Moderator comment - It had already taken a very American focus by the time it was moved, which is why it was moved - not a decision taken lightly but it had gone far too global by then to have any UK and Ireland focus. If you want to ensure a UK and Ireland focus, it needs to be made clear in the post and/or title. Many people reply to posts they see in the latest or similar posts/threads feed and do not realise that they are posting in a regional sub forum.
Thanks for that Vanillair-UK

That makes sense. Great job moderating by the way.

The combining of related posts does help to develop a more cohesive discussion. It also makes the site much more useful as a reference source over time.

Thanks

Llama