Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not looking good for Leavesden

I worked in Kings Langley and honestly I think this was not a good choice for a supercharger location. Fiddly access from the M25 with long queues common at J20. (Before the pandemic anyway…)

The development at the hotel itself was not very pleasant either with the massive DNO cabinet right next to the hotel drive… poorly done, unsympathetic and asking for trouble IMO.

I see J20 motorway services have been rejected too…

Have the Supercharging per kWh prices been incerased again???

I drove past Charnock Richard and its now 37p along with Oxford. Could be interesting if a Tesla owner sits on the Gridserve Electric Highway at 30p to save some cash! Surely it makes sense to match pricing at sites where both options exist?

Assuming 65kwh is required for 90% charge, a 7p saving is about £4.50. If you do a high mileage its a fair saving over time or a free Burger King in the services!

Reactions: jmh_120 and Neilio

I drove past Charnock Richard and its now 37p along with Oxford. Could be interesting if a Tesla owner sits on the Gridserve Electric Highway at 30p to save some cash! Surely it makes sense to match pricing at sites where both options exist?

Assuming 65kwh is required for 90% charge, a 7p saving is about £4.50. If you do a high mileage its a fair saving over time or a free Burger King in the services!
Tesla charge for DC delivered to the car. Everyone Else charges for AC consumed. No one knows exactly what the difference is but its probably somewhere between 5-10% so when comparing you need to add that to the other prices to get a fair comparison.

I see that what you've put was for UK sites, and that's great!!
But does anyone know anything about this new Tralee (Ireland) site that is due 2021 Q3?? (as this is a page for UK & Ireland)
Would be good to know if there is any progress too as I'm going that way soon.
Thanks in advance 😊
View attachment 694161
I work in Tralee and haven't seen any evidence of the site yet. The Tesla map shows a location at the local Dunnes Store but that's likely to be just a placeholder (and also a very busy car park so wouldn't be ideal).

Some reports that it will be located at Ballygarry House to the east of Tralee and near Manor West. However, no obvious SC construction work there either (some other building activity though).

I work in Tralee and haven't seen any evidence of the site yet. The Tesla map shows a location at the local Dunnes Store but that's likely to be just a placeholder (and also a very busy car park so wouldn't be ideal).

Some reports that it will be located at Ballygarry House to the east of Tralee and near Manor West. However, no obvious SC construction work there either (some other building activity though).
Thanks Michael.
Yeah I wouldn't want to drive my car around the Dunnes Stores carpark too much as I remember it being a bit tight and crowded.

I was thinking Ballygarry House too as a maybe as they are the only place with Tesla Destination chargers in the area and have good road links.

I've looked at all the planning around both there and around Tralee through Online Planning Enquiry | kerrycoco.ie by looking at the map (and clicking the dots) but cant find anything to do with "Tesla" or "EV Charging" unfortunately either.

Another new GRIDSERVE site with 4 “branded chargers”- pics show superchargers.

similar layout to Braintree

Neveron, Essex - SS12 0FH. Near A127 and A132

60009974-4FE4-461A-96D5-F7DB069C6194.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PB1975 and cezdoc
Tesla charge for DC delivered to the car. Everyone Else charges for AC consumed. No one knows exactly what the difference is but its probably somewhere between 5-10% so when comparing you need to add that to the other prices to get a fair comparison.
I ended up testing this out at Rugby. The Ecotricity charger delivered 87.3% of the AC energy charged for, according to the invoice, and Teslafi.

I was thinking the same thing, i charged at Michealwood on 25th July and it was 0.32 per kWh and then charged yesterday and it was 0.37.

I notice Tamworth has disappeared and Ferrybridge has changed to 2022. There is a real lack of superchargers up the M1/A1 corridor. Woodall is southbound only, Barnsley isn't useful having only two machines, the Leeds ones add a lot of time to your trip and aren't a good place to stop generally. Tesla really need Donnington, Woodall Northbound or Skelton Lake. Hopwood Park is frequently full these days, as heading north there is nothing useful on the East Coast until Scotch Corner. Gridserve/EW sites are still, as ever, really slow and really poor.

There is a real lack of superchargers up the M1/A1 corridor.

I think Tesla would build them if they could. Almost certainly local authorities or lack of electrical infrastructure stopping progress.

At least Woodall Southbound can be accessed easily from the northbound carriageway via the service road and the A618 (yeah, I know it's legally dubious but since the police don't give a *sugar* about people watching movies on their phones while driving, I doubt they're going to be bothered about someone nipping across the road to access a charger).

Reactions: GRiLLA
I notice Tamworth has disappeared and Ferrybridge has changed to 2022. There is a real lack of superchargers up the M1/A1 corridor. Woodall is southbound only, Barnsley isn't useful having only two machines, the Leeds ones add a lot of time to your trip and aren't a good place to stop generally. Tesla really need Donnington, Woodall Northbound or Skelton Lake. Hopwood Park is frequently full these days, as heading north there is nothing useful on the East Coast until Scotch Corner. Gridserve/EW sites are still, as ever, really slow and really poor.
I said this on here about 10 days ago, add A19 to that. North East England really badly served by SC.

💣NEW SITE! 12x V2 built (but not switched on) at the Intu shopping centre in Derby (rough posts code is DE1 2PL, but we are trying to get exact coordinates of the Superchargers). Intu appear to be asking for V2 hardware to make sure there’s enough dwell time t o benefit from drivers visiting shops etc.
Here is a list of the Intu sites which would be worth keep an eye on in case there are other new ones.

• Braehead, Glasgow
  • Broadmarsh, Nottingham
  • Chapelfield, Norwich
  • Intu Derby, Derby
  • Eldon Square, Newcastle
  • Lakeside, Essex
  • Merry Hill, Brierley Hill
  • Metrocentre, Gateshead
  • Intu Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes
  • Potteries, Stoke-on-Trent
  • Trafford Centre, Manchester
  • Intu Uxbridge, Uxbridge