Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
💣NEW SITE! 12x V2 built (but not switched on) at the Intu shopping centre in Derby (rough posts code is DE1 2PL, but we are trying to get exact coordinates of the Superchargers). Intu appear to be asking for V2 hardware to make sure there’s enough dwell time t o benefit from drivers visiting shops etc.
Here is a list of the Intu sites which would be worth keep an eye on in case there are other new ones.

• Braehead, Glasgow
  • Broadmarsh, Nottingham
  • Chapelfield, Norwich
  • Intu Derby, Derby
  • Eldon Square, Newcastle
  • Lakeside, Essex
  • Merry Hill, Brierley Hill
  • Metrocentre, Gateshead
  • Intu Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes
  • Potteries, Stoke-on-Trent
  • Trafford Centre, Manchester
  • Intu Uxbridge, Uxbridge
  • Victoria Centre, Nottingham
  • Intu Watford, Watford
  • Intu Arndale, Manchester
  • St David’s, Cardiff
  • The Mall, Cribbs Causeway
Sweet
There are already 20 superchargers in the Cribbs area + 8 at Gordano, so I think we can probably strike that one. unless they are REALLY making worth Teslas while.
Do they know that the difference between V2 and V3 charging is actually pretty minimal unless stall sharing. Good for the MS and MX though

I thought Intu went bust. I’ll check Newcastle and Gateshead at some point over weekend

PS doesn’t Intu Uxbridge and Intu Trafford (planning) already have them?
Sweet
There are already 20 superchargers in the Cribbs area + 8 at Gordano, so I think we can probably strike that one. unless they are REALLY making worth Teslas while.
Do they know that the difference between V2 and V3 charging is actually pretty minimal unless stall sharing. Good for the MS and MX though
Cribbs Causeway is an Intu site based on @PB1975 's list. Interesting about the V2/V3 thing - the expansion at Cribbs was V3 so it's not really consistent. But looks like a big V2 deployment is the closest equivalent to an Urban Supercharger in Europe.

Sweet
Cribbs Causeway is an Intu site based on @PB1975 's list. Interesting about the V2/V3 thing - the expansion at Cribbs was V3 so it's not really consistent. But looks like a big V2 deployment is the closest equivalent to an Urban Supercharger in Europe.
I agree with the Urban SuC comparison. If I ran a shopping centre I’d certainly not want the charge speed so fast that drivers stay with the car and then clear off… I’d want it to take just enough time for them to spend some money on coffee/food and visit a few shops.

A quick check on Wikipedia (hope accurate!?) shows Intu Derby site was sold to Cale Street Investments in 2020 and so is now held separately to the rest of the Intu portfolio.

So most likely this is the new owner looking for other forms of revenue to prop up the balance sheet, so doubt we can read much into this for the other old intu sites (although same laws of economics apply of course!)

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71 and CMc1
if dwell times is the objective then 11kw destination chargers would be more appropriate....
except I would think that 11kw are unlikely to actually attract many customers. People who are going there already would just use them.
I stopped at Cribbs specifically to use the Superchargers on a road trip and had a meal while I was there. Mission accomplished from the shopping centres point of view. How I got the missus though John Lewis with my credit card intact I will never know!

Reactions: NewbieT
A quick check on Wikipedia (hope accurate!?) shows Intu Derby site was sold to Cale Street Investments in 2020 and so is now held separately to the rest of the Intu portfolio.

So most likely this is the new owner looking for other forms of revenue to prop up the balance sheet, so doubt we can read much into this for the other old intu sites (although same laws of economics apply of course!)
I believe Intu still have a 20% stake and may ‘manage’ the site too but everything appears to be quite complex with so many different sites and different ownership situations!

💣NEW SITE! 12x V2 built (but not switched on) at the Intu shopping centre in Derby (rough posts code is DE1 2PL, but we are trying to get exact coordinates of the Superchargers). Intu appear to be asking for V2 hardware to make sure there’s enough dwell time t o benefit from drivers visiting shops etc.

Any pictures so Suoercharge.info can be updated?

Reactions: PB1975
Any pictures so Suoercharge.info can be updated?
Photo from Richard Brown
23E1124B-2859-44C5-A424-3AF4D449996F.jpeg
EBD4559C-0F88-463E-A92A-2F1EF403C3EC.jpeg

Here is a list of the Intu sites which would be worth keep an eye on in case there are other new ones.

• Braehead, Glasgow
  • Broadmarsh, Nottingham
  • Chapelfield, Norwich
  • Intu Derby, Derby
  • Eldon Square, Newcastle
  • Lakeside, Essex
  • Merry Hill, Brierley Hill
  • Metrocentre, Gateshead
  • Intu Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes
  • Potteries, Stoke-on-Trent
  • Trafford Centre, Manchester
  • Intu Uxbridge, Uxbridge
  • Victoria Centre, Nottingham
  • Intu Watford, Watford
  • Intu Arndale, Manchester
  • St David’s, Cardiff
  • The Mall, Cribbs Causeway
If the Derby site is in the Derbian underground car park, it’s quite expensive. Currently £3.10 for up to two hours minimum. Also the car park isn’t normally open 24 hours. I wonder if they will allow special access to the SCs out of hours?

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Do all Superchargers have automatic overstay charges?

I want to use the Nottingham service centre chargers while I'm in Nottingham for a couple of hours as they seem to be available 24/7.

Edit - I'd be arriving about 7pm this Tuesday for a match at Forest's ground and staying until about 10pm. I see from a quick Google that the bays have to be 50% full to incur charges. Anyone know if people park in there at match times?

Probably not worth the risk all said and done. It's not a car park after all.

Does unlocking the charge port stop the overstay charges?

Last edited:

I want to use the Nottingham service centre chargers while I'm in Nottingham for a couple of hours as they seem to be available 24/7.

Not sure how much I'd get stung for though if my charging only lasted say, an hour.
Yes, 70p a minute after 5 minutes, so you'll pay something like £40 to leave your car there for an extra hour.

Reactions: Nick77

Edit - I'd be arriving about 7pm this Tuesday for a match at Forest's ground and staying until about 10pm. I see from a quick Google that the bays have to be 50% full to incur charges. Anyone know if people park in there at match times?

Probably not worth the risk all said and done. It's not a car park after all.

Does unlocking the charge port stop the overstay charges?
Something else to bear in mind is that you'd have no way of knowing how many other cars might turn up while you're away. IIRC Nottingham is 8 bay so even if it was empty to start with another 3 concurrent arrivals (plus your car) would trigger overstay fees. When they were first introduced I remember reading of a driver in the US who got overstay fees after leaving their car overnight at a hotel supercharger, and presumably other users came and went in the night (or they got their maths wrong for calculating >=50% occupancy!).

As you say, it's not a car park so not really in the spirit of the rules even if there is a loophole somewhere. The Service Centre might be amenable to you making use of a spare parking bay if you're going to charge up before/after the game though.

Thinking about loopholes, an older, "chargegated" car might need up to 3 hours to charge to 100% if arriving near 0% with a cold battery... That would be an interesting moral dilemma :). My S70 charges more slowly than it used to, especially if needing to go to higher % values, but I don't think it's that slow!

Even with V2, this is probably going to be too quick for a shopping centre. You could easily get to full in 30 or 40 minutes, that's just time for a cup of tea and a sarny. I'd say a shopping centre should be 50Kw, so it would take an hour at least to fill up full. Otherwise you have to go back and move the car mid-shop, which could be annoying.