Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone help from the Irish community.
Travelling from UK to West of Ireland next week via Dublin and Cork. Can anyone confirm if all 4 stalls at the Cork supercharger are working as I saw a recent picture with 2 stalls covered over. Just passing through Cork but will need a full charge before heading West,

Many thanks for any replies
Mike

Travelling from UK to West of Ireland next week via Dublin and Cork. Can anyone confirm if all 4 stalls at the Cork supercharger are working as I saw a recent picture with 2 stalls covered over. Just passing through Cork but will need a full charge before heading West,

Mike
Mike, if you tap on the pin for the charger location on the screen it will give you a real-time indication of how many chargers are free and operational IIRC. (I’d go and check if that is still the case but I’m not getting dressed and heading out there at this hour! :p)

• Funny
Reactions: GBDave
Anthony Wootton is at Winchester Service Centre today and there are strong signs of progress on the Superchargers. He is going to confirm back when he’s spoken to them, but if it is then it looks like this site can move to “under construction” stage.
205C9166-3FCB-49C7-BB18-9309E2E1CB2F.jpeg

Mike
Was over west coast of Ireland myself 2 weeks ago (Ballybunnion in Co. Kerry). Both Birdhill and Ballacolla worked fine for me (didn't get down to Cork to try that one. If you're lucky then new one in Tralee is due to appear imminently!! Otherwise just apply for an ESB eCars account (App & RFID card) as fall back, as there's loads of ESB rapid chargers about. (FYI my profile pic is at the Killinick ESB charger just off the Rosslare Ferry). Oh and if you're going with Irish ferries, I think the big slow boats have EV charge points you can book (for free) when you book your ticket. (no good for me though as I used the fast boat from Dublin back)

⚠️Tebay is said to be currently closed for “upgrading”. Currently trying to find out if this means more bays or V2>V3. My bet is the addition of additional V3 stalls to make a mixed site, rather than V2 or swapping from V2 to V3.

I am interested to know this as if this is a V3 upgrade then it will remove a site from non CCS enabled cars - unless it retains both cables (was it Park Lane V3 that were dual head?). I saw someone mention that Woodall has also been upgraded, I've checked both sites in my 2020 Model S today via the map and neither state that a CCS adapter is required (as for example, Leeds, Manchester or Flint do).

If Tebay is an expansion then that is brilliant news!

PS, I also checked Birch again and no sign of any movement

Last edited:
Reactions: Llama.
I am interested to know this as if this is a V3 upgrade then it will remove a site from non CCS enabled cars - unless it retains both cables (was it Park Lane V3 that were dual head?). I saw someone mention that Woodall has also been upgraded, I've checked both sites in my 2020 Model S today via the map and neither state that a CCS adapter is required (as for example, Leeds, Manchester or Flint do).

If Tebay is an expansion then that is brilliant news!

PS, I also checked Birch again and no sign of any movement
I firmly believe it will be additional hardware (likely V3). There is no other site where V2 was removed to be replaced by V3 and it would cause controversy with Type 2 owners who might not be aware of such a change. Also, it is just extra cost: adding more bays/hardware allows continued value to be achieved from the original V2 install. Removing it would mean it may get junked, and cost incurred for replacing them.
All in all I would be 99% sure that the V2 bays will remain!

Reactions: quavey
I firmly believe it will be additional hardware (likely V3). There is no other site where V2 was removed to be replaced by V3 and it would cause controversy with Type 2 owners who might not be aware of such a change. Also, it is just extra cost: adding more bays/hardware allows continued value to be achieved from the original V2 install. Removing it would mean it may get junked, and cost incurred for replacing them.
All in all I would be 99% sure that the V2 bays will remain!
Have you heard anything about Woodall? Or have I imaged that? It is very unusual I am not passing Tebay this week to check on progress, the last time I passed was just before the Bank Holiday and the queue for all cars was back onto the carriageway!

I also slunk through Hartshead East for a coffee on Monday and still a ghost town in the SuC department.

Reactions: PB1975
Have you heard anything about Woodall? Or have I imaged that? It is very unusual I am not passing Tebay this week to check on progress, the last time I passed was just before the Bank Holiday and the queue for all cars was back onto the carriageway!

I also slunk through Hartshead East for a coffee on Monday and still a ghost town in the SuC department.
I’m not aware of anything new for Woodall.

Reactions: quavey
I’ve got it on good authority that enabling works by NPG (supply increase) are being completed in June 2022 for Woodall’s new chargers. Should have been Autumn 2021 but contractual issues have made the timeline slip.

Before this is done there will be no V2 or V3 increases as power is already at grid capacity

• Informative
Reactions: PB1975 and cezdoc
I was at Woodall on Sunday: looked the same as it always has.

Service road on south-side might have been patched up a bit more mind, I didn’t perform half the pothole-evasive manoeuvres I have had to in the past!

I recently visited the new Trentham Supercharger. If heading south along the M6 (and you can use CCS) it's a useful alternative to risking a wait or slower charge at the often busy 4-bay Keele Southbound Supercharger. Trentham Estate is also a more pleasant place for a leg stretch than Keele, which is one of Welcome Break's older/tired looking service areas. Services at Trentham appear to be more limited in the evening although there are a couple of restaurants there I speculate the Premier Inn would allow use of their facilities if everywhere else is shut.

The superchargers are behind a barrier but Tesla's Nav and website indicate 24 hr access so presumably it's just a case of giving security a call out of hours.

View attachment 694682
I agree. Decent road in when travelling from the North. M6 was busy. The dual carriageway was not. Busy in Trentham though!

Over on the far side of the car park near the BP garage and just to the right of those white M3’s the other picture are some concrete works.

Does this resemble other V3 sites?

View attachment 707912
Yes that looks identical to foundations for other Supercharger power supplies. Expect a big green box, a thinner grey/silver one and a transformer to eventually be sited here. Nearby there will be separate bases for the V3 charger cabinets (I think 3 or 4 are expected at the Trafford Centre), I think they are prefabricated so may not be on site yet.

Reactions: Stuart1714