Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of stalls out at Fleet Services. The outage is not being reported in the app so real availability is 2 less. Looks like they have been out for a while. No idea of the nature of the fault, I’ll try and chase Tesla.

A23BD2A2-30B0-4543-8F41-AD95953E9178.jpeg 7A180123-5094-4523-BAF8-5EFDA25E0F42.jpeg

General observation, state of some of the plugs are in pretty poor state on several of the stalls. I wondered if they have been vandalised or driven over.

Last edited:
First charge for us at Membury M4 East bound. Couldn't find it at first as we were following the signs and not looking right so drove right past. Didn't help that the pin on sat nav is showing for westbound only [edit - that may be a zoom level issue] - weren't even sure if we were on the right side of the carriageway - no pin on eastbound side so were not even sure there were superchargers eastbound.

If you pass this sign (yellow arrow) to Tesla Superchargers and turn into the lorry park, you have gone too far... they are on your right (green arrow) before you get to the sign o_O

1635580335624.png

Last edited:
First charge for us at Membury M4 East bound. Couldn't find it at first as we were following the signs and not looking right so drove right past. Didn't help that the pin on sat nav is in the wrong place - weren't even sure if we were on the right side of the carriageway - no pin on eastbound side.

If you pass this sign (yellow arrow) to Tesla Superchargers and turn into the lorry park, you have gone too far... they are on your right (green arrow) before you get to the sign o_O

View attachment 727407
Very helpful advice on getting to this charger. Thank you

First charge for us at Membury M4 East bound. Couldn't find it at first as we were following the signs and not looking right so drove right past. Didn't help that the pin on sat nav is in the wrong place - weren't even sure if we were on the right side of the carriageway - no pin on eastbound side.

View attachment 727407
are those the ones next to the bins?? behind the main building along with the skips etc

are those the ones next to the bins?? behind the main building along with the skips etc
Sounds about right. Our mistake was unsuccessfully trying to find them on sat nav (no pin on Eastbound side) then following the signs and taking the 'to the right' sign too literally as by that point they are indeed to your right but behind you...
From the Superchargers you can walk around the side of the building to the right and pop out in a narrow walkway beside the main entrance.
We are doing a repeat of the journey again tomorrow but with only 6 stalls we are likely to have to head past and on to Wokingham instead - if its not flooded...

1635627683219.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Elmet
Sounds about right. Our mistake was unsuccessfully trying to find them on sat nav (no pin on Eastbound side) then following the signs and taking the 'to the right' sign too literally as by that point they are indeed to your right but behind you...
From the Superchargers you can walk around the side of the building to the right and pop out in a narrow walkway beside the main entrance.
We are doing a repeat of the journey again tomorrow but with only 6 stalls we are likely to have to head past and on to Wokingham instead - if its not flooded...

View attachment 727579
I've used them in the past, the walk up the narrow alley to the main building is not exactly obvious

Reactions: MrBadger
The DoubleTree hotel where the Tesla 'Wokingham' Supercharger is located is currently closed to the public. Do not enter unless authorised signs and tape on handles even though foyer looks open. Lots of CCTV cameras in the grounds so no chance of a splash and dash :eek: so had to hold on to things another 40 minutes...

Busiest that I have ever seen it (8/16 superchargers) and plenty of comings and goings. But at least it had spaces - Reading and Membury East were marked as waiting. Hopefully just the school holiday effect.

The new one at Flint Mountain Hotel a mile or so off the A55 J33 North Wales is open. Breakfast served 8am 10am :) lunch from 12 dinner from 7.
Small golf course if you have your clubs in the boot ;)

View attachment 727791
Is this new? I called at one off the A55 in August.

The DoubleTree hotel where the Tesla 'Wokingham' Supercharger is located is currently closed to the public. Do not enter unless authorised signs and tape on handles even though foyer looks open. Lots of CCTV cameras in the grounds so no chance of a splash and dash :eek: so had to hold on to things another 40 minutes...

Busiest that I have ever seen it (8/16 superchargers) and plenty of comings and goings. But at least it had spaces - Reading and Membury East were marked as waiting. Hopefully just the school holiday effect.
That hotel has been off limits since last year sometime, think it was used as a covid holding pen for holidaymakers.

If you follow the road round past the hotel, there is a pub behind.
Careful as there doesn't appear to be a footpath so you are walking in the road.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
In a previous post, I mentioned not seeing the Supercharger pin at Membury Eastbound, whilst it was present at the adjacent Membury Westbound. I am wondering if the issue was a sat nav zoom level issue.

Below are the services from Google maps on a PC at two different zoom levels. One show both east and west bound supercharger pins, and the other, zoomed in a fraction more, only showing the westbound supercharger pin. If there is similar behaviour on the in car sat nav, this would explain why I could only locate the westbound supercharger location pin. On PC web based Google Maps, the cutoff is zoom level 17.

tl;dr When trying to find superchargers on the sat nav map, don't zoom out too far.

1635925981599.png
1635926442882.png

Reactions: Magstauk
In a previous post, I mentioned not seeing the Supercharger pin at Membury Eastbound, whilst it was present at the adjacent Membury Westbound. I am wondering if the issue was a sat nav zoom level issue.

Below are the services from Google maps on a PC at two different zoom levels. One show both east and west bound supercharger pins, and the other, zoomed in a fraction more, only showing the westbound supercharger pin. If there is similar behaviour on the in car sat nav, this would explain why I could only locate the westbound supercharger location pin. On PC web based Google Maps, the cutoff is zoom level 17.

tl;dr When trying to find superchargers on the sat nav map, don't zoom out too far.

View attachment 728793 View attachment 728795
Good observation. A similar thing happens for Keele (Stoke-on-Trent) northbound and southbound. At sites like these it's exacerbated by the pins being almost directly due north/south of each other so they cover each other unless you zoom right in. There are lots of incorrect check-ins on things like the Superchargers app when two sites are so close together.

These days I usually zoom right in to an unfamiliar supercharger to have a look at the layout before setting off, particularly if a missed turn would result in a long detour (and risk of running dangerously low on charge!). It doesn't always save me though!

I am wondering if the issue was a sat nav zoom level issue.

I’m still wondering… I had a few minutes to kill sitting in the car so looked up Membury. Both pins were present at all levels of zoom that I tried. Sat view made no difference.

So no idea what was going on last Friday but there was definitely no pin eastbound on that occasion - we had 3 people in the car all trying to locate the superchargers on the map.

Tesla have recently made a couple of updates to the UK Supercharger list on their website which prompted me to do a quick a review of Supercharger activity to date:

• London - Tower has been closed and deleted from the list - the two charging stalls were removed at some point in October (see, e.g. comments on the Superchargers app).
  • Tesla have added Flimwell to their UK list but Derby is still missing.
I haven't spotted any changes to the target opening dates for their "coming soon" markers so there are still 8 slated for Q4 (several of which are under construction plus a few others not listed - see the wiki post at the start of this thread for details).

Some stats (my tally):

Total new Supercharger sites opened so far in 2021 is 18 (17 net): that's already a calendar year record (beating 17 in 2015 and 2020) with a few more openings expected before the end of December.
Total new bays commissioned so far in 2021: 168 (166 net, accounting for the loss of the Tower Two). This is not far behind the 2020 record of 182 net.
The 182 net added in 2020 accounts for some stalls moved from Aviemore to Inverness and the closure of London Royal Victoria Docks.
Of the 166 new stalls in 2021, 30 are V2 (at 4 new sites) and the remaining 138 are V3 (including 3 site expansions).

In other news bases and charger cabinets sufficient for 8 V3 stalls appeared at Edinburgh Newbridge last week. I'm not sure if Newbridge will be expanded or they are headed elsewhere.