Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I worked in women’s underwear, I used to travel from the NW to Bracknell every week. I have a personal preference for going M6 / M5 / M42 / M40. It’s slightly longer but has fewer “managed” motorways to randomly reduce the speed limit. This route also brings the Superchargers at Hopwood Park into play.

I’m heading down that way next month and will probably stop there on the way home.
And what were you doing as a job back then?

Looks like the signs are good for Superchargers at the Norwich Service Centre. The adjacent site (the Honda dealership) has a substation on the corner, and there looks to be plenty of space to accommodate 8/12/16 bays there too. Anyone local who can keep there eye on it?
F765CB0C-3CFB-42E2-BAB4-B0F9CF51BCAA.jpeg

Attachments

• 7DD08526-B09B-4147-98C2-ABA8B97A7C1F.jpeg
    7DD08526-B09B-4147-98C2-ABA8B97A7C1F.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 53
Are they even making V2 chargers these days? I thought the only time V2s appeared was when they were being moved from another location.
Yes, occasionally they are installed, most recently at shopping centres like in Derby and Uxbridge. My bet is they are being treated like the US Urban Superchargers, where they won’t be too fast. A shopping centre wants fresh footfall to visit shops and spend money, and that might not happen of the SuCs are so fast that drivers stay with their cars. Also, this venue is part of the old Intu group like Derby and Uxbridge so may have had the same agreement for hardware.

Yes, occasionally they are installed, most recently at shopping centres like in Derby and Uxbridge. My bet is they are being treated like the US Urban Superchargers, where they won’t be too fast. A shopping centre wants fresh footfall to visit shops and spend money, and that might not happen of the SuCs are so fast that drivers stay with their cars. Also, this venue is part of the old Intu group like Derby and Uxbridge so may have had the same agreement for hardware.

I think the difference in charging time between V2 and V3 isn't really significant enough to allow useful extra shopping time. People with Model S and X who don't have a CCS adapter would be delighted to know that more V2s are being installed though.

Reactions: CMc1 and Jason71
Looks like the signs are good for Superchargers at the Norwich Service Centre. The adjacent site (the Honda dealership) has a substation on the corner, and there looks to be plenty of space to accommodate 8/12/16 bays there too. Anyone local who can keep there eye on it?
There's a separate thread on TMC about the Norwich SC and post #35 includes a planning drawing with 13 Supercharger bays drawn in; I don't know where the plan came from - it's not included in the SC planning application drawings submitted to the City Council but it looks quite plausible (apart from showing 13 which would be a weird total to choose). What is certain is that official planning drawing details include a wayfinding arrow for "Vehicle Charging" and a "SUC Lounge" label at one building entrance. This all points to the parking area at the NE corner of the site being considered for Supercharger bays.

2021-10-14 153005 Norwich SuC bays.png

2021-11-18 Norwich SC SuC area.jpg

Reactions: PB1975
I think the difference in charging time between V2 and V3 isn't really significant enough to allow useful extra shopping time. People with Model S and X who don't have a CCS adapter would be delighted to know that more V2s are being installed though.
It's a really tricky one. Superchargers don't really lend themselves at all to that environment with the possibility of idle fees.

The best charging/shopping experience is at Oxford Westgate with over 50 'free' (included in your parking fee) 7kW chargers all well maintained and easy to access.

In other news bases and charger cabinets sufficient for 8 V3 stalls appeared at Edinburgh Newbridge last week. I'm not sure if Newbridge will be expanded or they are headed elsewhere.

Newbridge gets quite busy but is also constrained for space. More likely destined for Glasgow SC? Service centres seem to get them in groups of 8. Be nice if they were for Stirling but they removed that from the coming soon list a while back.

I spoke to Tesla Glasgow a few weeks ago and they said that Superchargers were due to be installed but they didn't have a date, 8 X V3 would be great for the greater Glasgow Area and anyone passing through it.

Locals report groundworks underway indicating that the new Supercharger equipment is going in at Edinburgh Newbridge - +8 V3 opposite the existing 8 bays. Glasgow will have to wait a bit longer/make do with Eurocentral for the time being!

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
When I worked in women’s underwear, I used to travel from the NW to Bracknell every week. I have a personal preference for going M6 / M5 / M42 / M40. It’s slightly longer but has fewer “managed” motorways to randomly reduce the speed limit. This route also brings the Superchargers at Hopwood Park into play.

I’m heading down that way next month and will probably stop there on the way home.
There's a serious joke brewing following the first sentance, but I don't want to be the one! 😂🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Somex
Locals report groundworks underway indicating that the new Supercharger equipment is going in at Edinburgh Newbridge - +8 V3 opposite the existing 8 bays. Glasgow will have to wait a bit longer/make do with Eurocentral for the time being!
Would have preferred a city location but I guess it's still more capacity. Charging in Edinburgh is a pain in the backside at the moment and the lack of city superchargers in the UK is pretty disappointing compared to the US.