Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there are plans for a Supercharger in East Lothian or the East side of Edinburgh?

Having to travel to the airport is not the greatest if your journey only takes you to the east of the Capital city of Scotland.
Seems unlikely - there are other sites in Scotland that I would expect to be a priority. Edinburgh Newbridge is getting an addtionaol 8 stalls currently and you can get there on the A720 City bypass without having to drive through the city. There are 50KW rapid chargers at Sheriffhall park & ride if you prefer not to do that (which are quieter now Midlothian council charges for them) Unless you have an older M or S without the CCS upgrade the aiport is best avoided as there are only 2 V2 stalls and sometimes a queue. Plus the traffic can be horrible. Going up or down the A1 Adderstone is a helpful addiiton.

James George on OTUK has spotted that Dartboard Service Centre appears to be having Supercharger works today. They already had a couple hidden inside for service centre use, so it may be this is related to those (E.g. moving them outside) so we will have to wait and see for more details.
If they are new and for public use these will be useful for the M25.
4902FDE5-F476-48ED-8344-F37A8EE1756F.jpeg

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
James George on OTUK has spotted that Dartboard Service Centre appears to be having Supercharger works today. They already had a couple hidden inside for service centre use, so it may be this is related to those (E.g. moving them outside) so we will have to wait and see for more details.
If they are new and for public use these will be useful for the M25.View attachment 741536
Latest info is it will be 12 V3 Superchargers in the paint shop area, and they will be open to the public. More details to follow.

Reactions: CMc1
Latest info is it will be 12 V3 Superchargers in the paint shop area, and they will be open to the public. More details to follow.

Location looks likely to be (51,453800, 0.247800), as shown below, based on photo above plus one more shared on TOUK. Preferable to navigating the Bluewater shopping centre in terms if time rather than facilities is a priority.

2021-12-07 Dartford SC SuC Location.jpg

Reactions: CMc1 and PB1975
That is a hell of a lot of superchargers all within only a few miles of each other, even allowing for how jammed the dartford crossing gets.
- lakeside (16v2)
- service centre (8)
- bluewater (17v2)
- Thurrock services (16)

Very nearly as much as all the other m25(ish) sites put together!

Location looks likely to be (51,453800, 0.247800), as shown below, based on photo above plus one more shared on TOUK. Preferable to navigating the Bluewater shopping centre in terms if time rather than facilities is a priority.

View attachment 741579
Agreed on location vs facilities. I have a project just inside Kent so I arrive from the North West a couple of times a month needing a local charge and seeing the Tesla logo coming over the bridge then continuing to BlueWater always has me thinking 'I wish'. However, it really is a solution to a 1st world problem though as BlueWater (once you've found then the first time) is a many charger, covered location which has stuff a few minutes walk away. We are kind of spoilt with Tesla compared with other networks to even be pondering to ourselves how two charger locations a few miles apart have pros and cons. Just finding a working one without a queue is most other people's daily problem!

I also used Sevenoaks recently too which is another completely different vibe and setup. I'm in either an S 75D or a 3 SR+ so the more the merrier for me in winter. I've never been in a panic so what there was 2 years ago was pretty good but being able to plan my day around more chargers is the dream of the future we're seeing come to fruition in some areas proving the concept that EVs can work for ordinary folk too, not just diehards. it's great that Tesla keep plugging on and if you have a bit of time to spare, go back to the beginning of this post with a brew. It's like flicking through a family album of your kids growing up! Ha!

Gridserve announcing 20 new motorway charging hubs, and electric forecourts for Gatwick and Norwich openings ...

GRIDSERVE’s latest sites:

Electric Hubs

• Currently in construction: Swansea (Moto), Heston West (Moto), Severn View (Moto), Wetherby (Moto), Burton in Kendall (Moto), Exeter (Moto), Woolley Edge North (Moto), Woolley Edge South (Moto), Thurrock (Moto), Leigh Delamere Westbound (Moto), Reading West (Moto).

• Entering construction early next year: Reading East (Moto), Grantham North (Moto), Scotch Corner (Moto), Washington North (Moto), Washington South (Moto), Cornwall Services, Annandale (Roadchef), Magor (Roadchef), Rownhams North (Roadchef), Durham (Roadchef), Watford Gap North (Roadchef), Watford Gap South (Roadchef), Northampton North (Roadchef), Northampton South (Roadchef), Strensham North (Roadchef), Strensham South (Roadchef)

Electric Forecourts®

• Currently in construction: Norwich Electric Forecourt® (opening April 2022), Gatwick Electric Forecourt® –(opening Autumn 2022).

• Planning permission secured: Uckfield, Gateshead, Plymouth, Bromborough.

Personal favorite would be Annadale, relieving pressure on Gretna and Abington when heading up the M74 to Glasgow.

Clearly some sites there that will benefit from being SuperChargers, and also some that are clearly going to be duplication (Scotch Corner, Washington South, Northampton South), perhaps Tesla will phase out some of these older v1 sites.

Apparently 20 sites will be open by Spring 2022.

Dear Gridserve (and Tesla),

You may be surprised to learn that the M1 does in fact continue past Northampton and we'd be very grateful if we could have more than one broken 50kW charger between there and Scotch Corner.

Love and kisses,

EV drivers.
I think your map needs updating. Rugby has both Tesla and Gridserve, then there is Tesla at Leicester and Mansfield, Southbound at Woodall. Yes we need the new one that's meant to be coming at Ferrybridge.

Gridserve has 7 of the smaller sites on that route, and as per the post above will be opening bigger hubs at Woolley Edge and Wakefield in 'Early 2022'.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Rugby has both Tesla and Gridserve, then there is Tesla at Leicester and Mansfield
All of which add at least twenty to thirty minutes to the length of a journey, not counting charging time. Rugby is fantastic, but you have to drive three miles down the M6, drive almost the entire perimeter of the services, and then once charged take an A-road and four roundabouts back to the M1.

Edit: so Woolley Edge is just off the M1 and not in Devon as I thought. Sat nav generation etc. In my defence I rarely drive that bit of the M1 having cut across to the A1 at that point.

Swansea Services now underway and at a similar stage to Reading West (grid contractors starting work).
Looking forward to this one, I visit a few times a year and this will give me a lot more flexibility in terms of routes and charge stops.
I've seen a long list of Moto and Roadchef sites slated for rapid charging hub upgrades - how certain is it that they will include Tesla superchargers too?

(Gridserve's list for reference:
Electric Hubs currently in construction: Swansea (Moto), Heston West (Moto), Severn View (Moto), Wetherby (Moto), Burton in Kendall (Moto), Exeter (Moto), Woolley Edge North (Moto), Woolley Edge South (Moto), Thurrock (Moto), Leigh Delamere Westbound (Moto), Reading West (Moto).
Electric Forecourts® currently in construction: Norwich Electric Forecourt® (opening April 2022), Gatwick Electric Forecourt® –(opening Autumn 2022).)

Tesla confirmed/shown on plans: Heston West, Wetherby, Exeter, Thurrock, Reading West, both Electric Forecourts.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMc1
Looking forward to this one, I visit a few times a year and this will give me a lot more flexibility in terms of routes and charge stops.
I've seen a long list of Moto and Roadchef sites slated for rapid charging hub upgrades - how certain is it that they will include Tesla superchargers too?

(Gridserve's list for reference:
Electric Hubs currently in construction: Swansea (Moto), Heston West (Moto), Severn View (Moto), Wetherby (Moto), Burton in Kendall (Moto), Exeter (Moto), Woolley Edge North (Moto), Woolley Edge South (Moto), Thurrock (Moto), Leigh Delamere Westbound (Moto), Reading West (Moto).
Electric Forecourts® currently in construction: Norwich Electric Forecourt® (opening April 2022), Gatwick Electric Forecourt® –(opening Autumn 2022).)
From what we understand all Moto sites are under the same network-wide project so every site should be GridServe and Tesla. There is government support for getting HV power to site now so most sites are now viable for full-scale installations, and the days of ‘experimenting’ with offering EV charging are over so hopefully it is full steam ahead!
We don’t know for sure about Roadchef, but my money is on it being a similar model. The services get a complete offering for the project and Tesla and Gridserve get reduced costs for their installs so it makes sense for all three. Also, the government are keen to have competition at services (although they’ve never cared about competition for petrol stations at motorway services!) so having both also ticks that box.
For Cornwall services it is GridServe only.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cezdoc