Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting update to Hartshed/Brighouse Eastbound.
2 of the 6 chargers have been moved into the position of where the extra 2 once stood and Applegreen Electric (I think Welcome break own brand) have been installed in their place.
works ongoing Westbound too.

DB171339-28D1-4833-970A-66CD76D90A11.jpeg
292107D2-8C37-470C-840C-38BCD848B774.jpeg

Interesting update to Hartshed/Brighouse Eastbound.
2 of the 6 chargers have been moved into the position of where the extra 2 once stood and Applegreen Electric (I think Welcome break own brand) have been installed in their place.
works ongoing Westbound too.

View attachment 787872View attachment 787873
Good to confirm it looks like they're retaining the existing 6 Supercharger stalls on both sides.
Evidently Welcome Break have changed tack with their EV charging strategy, favouring "universal" rapids over Tesla Superchargers (I think I read something about this a while back). Up until the end of 2018 they were the main host for motorway service Superchargers but there's been virtually nothing since (just commissioning of already built stalls at Oxford and Hartshead Moor as far as I can tell). Not a bad thing to be supporting a wider range of EVs than just Teslas I guess.

Good to confirm it looks like they're retaining the existing 6 Supercharger stalls on both sides.
Evidently Welcome Break have changed tack with their EV charging strategy, favouring "universal" rapids over Tesla Superchargers (I think I read something about this a while back). Up until the end of 2018 they were the main host for motorway service Superchargers but there's been virtually nothing since (just commissioning of already built stalls at Oxford and Hartshead Moor as far as I can tell). Not a bad thing to be supporting a wider range of EVs than just Teslas I guess.

The former MD of Welcome Break (who was an early Tesla owner himself) moved on, and the business was sold to a larger group (Applegreen). Those events seem to explain the change of strategy at WB. Meanwhile, the other groups (Moto, Roadchef) had woken up to the need to be doing more - my perception of their strategy previously was that they thought EV charging in the same category as the newsagent or coffee franchise, where they pick just one brand and promote it, rather than having competing brands on their sites, in this case having picked Ecotricity and treating that as "job done".

It looks like Tesla are being left behind by gridserve and the motorway service providers. 12 new gridserves just opened in exeter, where there were supposed to be tesla SuCs as well. From the pics I can see there is no sign of any Tesla there...is this the beginning of Tesla being squeezed out? Is this why they will open the sites to all as otherwise they will never get any more motorway sites?

Reactions: GRiLLA
It looks like Tesla are being left behind by gridserve and the motorway service providers. 12 new gridserves just opened in exeter, where there were supposed to be tesla SuCs as well. From the pics I can see there is no sign of any Tesla there...is this the beginning of Tesla being squeezed out? Is this why they will open the sites to all as otherwise they will never get any more motorway sites?
looking at the planning documents (21/1957/FUL), it does not look like Superchargers were ever planned at the Exeter Moto services?

looking at the planning documents (21/1957/FUL), it does not look like Superchargers were ever planned at the Exeter Moto services?
Agreed re: no Tesla chargers in the Moto Exeter planning docs. There's a note in the wiki citing a Moto press release (mainly about Rugby opening) from which (at the time) Supercharger activity at Moto Exeter was inferred but for now it looks like it's Gridserve only. Tesla do have a "Coming soon - Q2 2022" pin located exactly on the service area so there may yet be something in the pipeline, but no hard evidence. In the meantime Gridserve are upgrading/opening some rapid hubs like the one at Moto Swansea which, unlike Rugby, don't have Supercharger stalls alongside.

Moto sites to keep an eye on are Birch, Heston, Reading, Thurrock and Wetherby. These have all started construction and include Tesla charger stalls on the planning drawings but so far there's no sign of Tesla-specific groundworks or equipment on site. Of some concern is the initial groundworks at Wetherby which have foundations for Gridserve type rapids where the plans indicated Supercharger stalls were to be located.

It's obvious Tesla needs to be open to all if it wants to compete for these prime slots in the future.

Reactions: Mrklaw and GRiLLA
Every one and their dog seems to want new DNO connections at the moment so I suspect a lot of the delays are down to the electrical infrastructure needing updating. It's looking like I need to detour via Ferrybridge on the way home from Hartlepool next week so it would be REALLY handy if the new superchargers were online.
Stopped at FerryBridge yesterday.
It looked completed but no power in the stalls.

Last few weeks I’ve been queuing at Woodhall and Mansfield SuC’s. These need expanding as this area of M1 is poor for ultra rapid charging!
pretty sure woodall would have been expanded if they could. almost certainly power constraints.
one of the companies registered by Gridserve is "MARKHAM VALE ELECTRIC FORECOURT LTD (12451374)"
Which suggests they are planning something big around there. no idea when though

any pictures of nottingham?
Random Nottingham pics aside, it is worth being more specific as there are now two Nottingham Superchargers! The Service Centre (Loughborough Road) has been open a while and Victoria Centre is the new one (that's the Nav name; on Tesla's website it's currently labelled Nottingham City Centre Supercharger). There's a photo of the latter from February on the Superchargers app showing the stalls in the basement car park - in place but taped off. The photo below is from the Victoria Centre website.

Tesla-full-width-image.jpg

I just had a look at the shopping centre website and it looks like you can pre-register for 2 hours free parking while charging. The chargers are located in the Green Zone of the basement car park; nearest access is the Glasshouse Street entrance.