Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🔥Anthony Wootton is there now and confirmed the new power transformer installed at Reading Service Centre. It is down the ramp at the service entrance. Looks like it will be 18 bays when opened but on the top level on the ‘left’ of the site rather than right hand side of site as per planning permission.
Service Centre itself needed a power upgrade so this transformer solves that but will have Been specced to accommodate superchargers too.
406896C5-8C72-4058-8CFA-9F3834FFBAC9.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
But the presence of the motorway between the two sites might mean the power supplies are completely different

Was that the one where they had a scheduled closure of the motorway, partly to run a fat-cable over the bridge ... and then something didn't happen on-the-day and another motorway closure then never got rescheduled?

My memory is sketchy and I may also be confusing it with some other location. Someone with a younger memory will hopefully be able to remember.

Was that the one where they had a scheduled closure of the motorway, partly to run a fat-cable over the bridge ... and then something didn't happen on-the-day and another motorway closure then never got rescheduled?

My memory is sketchy and I may also be confusing it with some other location. Someone with a younger memory will hopefully be able to remember.

I believe the incident you are remembering applied to Leicester Forest East (which was to have storage on one side of the motorway and superchargers on both sides, connected via a cable over the footbridge, according to the plans). But in the end that never got built at all for other reasons.

I hadn't heard any such suggestion for Fleet, and there appears to be a power shortage on both sides there.

New planning application for 12 Superchargers in Guildford - Spectrum Leisure Centre. See planning 22/P/00643 on Simple Search

So for 12 V3 supercharger stalls, plus 4 bays with AC.

One interesting quote from the documents:

It is anticipated that there will be approx. 120 users of the chargers a day, with 18-20 users
per hour between peak hours. It is anticipated that there will be between 8-10 users overnight.

The drawings and text both mention, in addition to the usual Supercharger cabinets and DNO cabinet, a "site controller". Is this just the usual LV switchgear cabinet, or something more?

Also amusingly the "superceded location plan" is a plan they accidentally sent in for "Tesla Supercharger Units Airport House 265 Purley Way, Croydon". Do we know about that one?

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Had a towbar fitted at the brand new Tesla Northampton located at the Riverside Retail Park - really friendly bunch and good to see more service capacity given MK is maxed out.

I asked them why they hadn't got any superchargers on site given the opposite side of the road had a full 275kV sub-station, presumably to supply the whole retail park.

They confirmed the good news that they are getting 8 superchargers in the near future, some ground works to be done first.

A bit out of the way for the M1 but probably useful if cutting cross-country or the others are all max'ed.
I had a dig around and found planning applications for new signage & a smart paint booth at the new Northampton Service Centre. I didn't come across explicit mention of Superchargers (which isn't unusual) but the proposed site layout drawing for the smart paint booth application includes eight stall bases, a power supply/transformer and two charger cabinets. Nuggets in other docs include "Vehicle Charging" on a wayfinding sign and an entrance labelled "24/7 Customer Lounge". If these plans come to fruition that would put the supercharger stalls next to the main entrance at approx (52.242500, -0.834100).

West Northamptonshire Council planning search - WNN/2021/0798, WNN/2021/0799 (Sept 2021) & WNN/2022/0139 (Feb 2022).

1652872916668.png

1652872953128.png
1652872846347.png

• Informative
Reactions: arg and Derek25
These 15 according to Autocar: The 15 sites that will initially be opened up to non-Tesla owners are: Aberystwyth, Adderstone, Aviemore, Banbury, Birmingham St Andrews, Cardiff, Dundee, Flint, Folkestone Eurotunnel, Grays, Manchester Trafford Centre, Thetford, Trumpington, Uxbridge and Wokingham.

Stay of execution for the ones I use most

These 15 according to Autocar: The 15 sites that will initially be opened up to non-Tesla owners are: Aberystwyth, Adderstone, Aviemore, Banbury, Birmingham St Andrews, Cardiff, Dundee, Flint, Folkestone Eurotunnel, Grays, Manchester Trafford Centre, Thetford, Trumpington, Uxbridge and Wokingham.

Looks like some in Austria & Spain have been opened up a well.

The map seems to suggest Wyboston as well?

Reactions: Tonybvi
Does anyone have any idea when Taunton might actually open? Eg got a location? Or is the Q3 timeline just a bit of a guess.
I don't think I've seen anything specific that could be linked to a Taunton site. The Taunton Tesla map marker has been around for a while but was given a more specific "Q3 2022" target date in April having previously been "2022" which is a step in the right direction albeit in the knowledge that the markers are far from trustworthy.

If you look at supercharge.info you'll see a "permit" marker nearby at Bridgewater which is connected with a proposed business park development - but that could be years away from being constructed. Locals may know more about possible sites in the area...

Balls. Haven't even got our tesla yet but Flint would have been our 'local'. The exclusive supercharger network was a massive reason for us to go with Tesla. I should have done a bit more research. Hopefully it doesn't have too much impact in practice.

if you have charging at home, you’ll probably never charge at flint. You want super chargers to be 100 miles away, not on your front door.

My ‘local’ chargers are both 35 miles away, I’ve never* needed to charge at either, the ones that are 75-200 miles away I’ve used quite a few times.

Edit:
*apart from the day I picked the car up as it was at low on charge.

if you have charging at home, you’ll probably never charge at flint. You want super chargers to be 100 miles away, not on your front door.

My ‘local’ chargers are both 35 miles away, I’ve never* needed to charge at either, the ones that are 75-200 miles away I’ve used quite a few times.

Edit:
*apart from the day I picked the car up as it was at low on charge.
Yes, trying to get our charge point installed at the mo. Flint's about an hour away from us on our regular trips into North Wales so we're bound to need it sometimes. Probably just on the return journey depending on my range anxiety!