Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m planning to use the Warwick SuC on Saturday either on my way to the Tesla event at Bicester or on the way home to Macclesfield.

Has anyone used them recently and do they get busy?
They do get busy at times, both N and S bound.

You might want to consider using the Banbury SC as an alternative which is between Bicester and Warwick, but is further from the M40. There’s also a popular InstaVolt at Banbury right by the M40 as another alternative.

They do get busy at times, both N and S bound.

You might want to consider using the Banbury SC as an alternative which is between Bicester and Warwick, but is further from the M40. There’s also a popular InstaVolt at Banbury right by the M40 as another alternative.
Banbury is of course open to non Teslas now. Not sure how much of an impact that has but if I was approaching and the utilization was over 50% I would start to worry whether the remaining bays are actually usable or blocked by people charging on the "wrong" side. Given the big Instavolt nearby though I doubt it it too much of a problem in reality.

Banbury is of course open to non Teslas now. Not sure how much of an impact that has but if I was approaching and the utilization was over 50% I would start to worry whether the remaining bays are actually usable or blocked by people charging on the "wrong" side. Given the big Instavolt nearby though I doubt it it too much of a problem in reality.
There’s also a big Osprey hub next door, so this is the most unlikely supercharger site to ever have an issue.

Reactions: Utumno
You're absolutely right on this, but easy enough to check on the day and Osprey are on the same car park, so non-Tesla users might well gravitate to those chargers anyway. Plus Banbury's SC's are a new install, 250kW and x12 stalls, and there are several more options too unlike Warwick's SC's where there's nothing but those for miles and are 150kW and 8x stalls. I'd normally expect Banbury to turn over charges more quickly than Warwick

I don't much like where Tesla have put the SC in Banbury physically (InstaVolt clearly got the best location!) but they're fast and there's lots of them.

🔥Good news re: Exeter Services if accurate and just in time for me to use them in the summer!
1C2003D2-2BFA-4D92-984D-0C15BE79F921.jpeg
1C2003D2-2BFA-4D92-984D-0C15BE79F921.jpeg

You're absolutely right on this, but easy enough to check on the day and Osprey are on the same car park, so non-Tesla users might well gravitate to those chargers anyway. Plus Banbury's SC's are a new install, 250kW and x12 stalls, and there are several more options too unlike Warwick's SC's where there's nothing but those for miles and are 150kW and 8x stalls. I'd normally expect Banbury to turn over charges more quickly than Warwick

I don't much like where Tesla have put the SC in Banbury physically (InstaVolt clearly got the best location!) but they're fast and there's lots of them.
I did a similar journey today, NW to Bicester. On the way down I noticed that Warwick Southbound always had spare capacity when I looked, but not much. As it’s V2 I would have likely have charged slowly as it would have likely split the power with the bay next to me.

I’ve stopped at Warwick many times, in an ICE vehicle as well as we often grab a brew at the Starbucks drive through next to the Superchargers, although we go inside to use the toilets.

Today I decided to call at Banbury instead. Loads of empty bays and as others have said, non-Tesla’s have plenty of choice in the area so the only charging non-Tesla’s were in the Osprey bays.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Exeter Services missing from this. Now in construction phase for 16x V3. Any other info needed?
Guess we were waiting on confirmation like Tesla equipment on site since Tesla aren’t on the planning docs. Otherwise we’ll have another confusion like Wetherby… when it’s in fact GRIDSERVE doing their bit.

Unless we’ve missed the confirmation?

It’s about time Tesla redesign their charging solution, they are now form over function.
Maybe for use by third parties. But as a Tesla device, for me, it represents everything about Tesla design that makes it not only appealing but commercially viable. A Tesla charger has nothing it doesn’t need to charge a Tesla. no more; no less. It’s also cleverer and more adaptable. The app just works and the system just works, including real-time status and price etc. all this while being arguably the cheapest rapid charger to manufacture and maintain. Buttons and switches and display panels are so last decade.

whilst I respect your view that you feel it needs changes, I really hope that the changes you wish for aren’t changes to make them like other networks because the last decade has proven than most of them fail in so many areas.

what would your redesign entail Masklin? I can only assume it’s to accommodate other cars because there’s little to nothing that doesn't work for a UK Tesla driver unless towing.

Maybe for use by third parties. But as a Tesla device, for me, it represents everything about Tesla design that makes it not only appealing but commercially viable. A Tesla charger has nothing it doesn’t need to charge a Tesla. no more; no less. It’s also cleverer and more adaptable. The app just works and the system just works, including real-time status and price etc. all this while being arguably the cheapest rapid charger to manufacture and maintain. Buttons and switches and display panels are so last decade.

whilst I respect your view that you feel it needs changes, I really hope that the changes you wish for aren’t changes to make them like other networks because the last decade has proven than most of them fail in so many areas.

what would your redesign entail Masklin? I can only assume it’s to accommodate other cars because there’s little to nothing that doesn't work for a UK Tesla driver unless towing.
Well said

It is simply that if the aim is to ultimately open up the UK network beyond what is being trialled, then going forward it really needs to be capable of one car/one stall charging irrespective of make. It seems ludicrous to continue building and opening new installations that now have a known and limiting design flaw for all make charging.

Given Musk’s other interests, unless the decision to start opening up was done somewhat spur of the moment, you wouldn’t have thought it would have been rocket science to plan ahead for it.

If in future though I’m delayed charging at a Supercharger because one non-Tesla is blocking two stalls in order to charge, I suppose I can at least console myself with the thought that the charger I can’t use looks nice.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Toblerone