Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, Guildford Spectrum: Popped in today for a few electrons on the way back to London. What a sorry sight/site; 12 lovely shiny
units, 3 with Teslas Charging, 1 with a non Tesla Ev charging and 8 ICE cars. I also notice a few non Tesla chargers which were also occupied by ICE cars.
A model 3 vacated to be replaced by a crew-cab ICE truck occupied by guys of Tyson Fury proportions but not as pretty. What's that? No! of course I didn't but I had to restrain SWMBO!
It was already a very busy car park for the leisure centre (and when the park and ride was operating from there). I can imagine a lot of people not caring when space is at a premium ("look at all these charging spaces reducing the amount of real spaces for me to park in").

Needs some real parking enforcement.

It was already a very busy car park for the leisure centre (and when the park and ride was operating from there). I can imagine a lot of people not caring when space is at a premium ("look at all these charging spaces reducing the amount of real spaces for me to park in").

Needs some real parking enforcement.
Indeed it does. However, their location would lend itself to being "fenced" off with a recognition camera operated gate.
I'm sure Tesla A.I. could learn to recognise a Tesla. There is probably not enough potential fines revenue for those private parking firms also, what really matters to Spectrum are their customers rather than us transients. The Tesla SUC rollout folk need to think this matters through during the project planning and contract stages. The location, as you imply, could not be better chosen if the required outcome is a cluster f uck.
No! Honest, I was not that irritated - really.

So, Guildford Spectrum: Popped in today for a few electrons on the way back to London. What a sorry sight/site; 12 lovely shiny
units, 3 with Teslas Charging, 1 with a non Tesla Ev charging and 8 ICE cars. I also notice a few non Tesla chargers which were also occupied by ICE cars.
A model 3 vacated to be replaced by a crew-cab ICE truck occupied by guys of Tyson Fury proportions but not as pretty. What's that? No! of course I didn't but I had to restrain SWMBO!
8 ICE. What!!! Shoulda summoned the T posse! 😅

Reactions: Wattsisname
). I can imagine a lot of people not caring when space is at a premium ("look at all these charging spaces reducing the amount of real spaces for me to park in").
I agree; that is probably how they are thinking. In our defence There were 1000 free parking places at the Spectrum. Tesla Chargers have reduced that number by 12 or 1.2% 😃" Thin end of the bloody wedge."

Reactions: randompixel
Indeed it does. However, their location would lend itself to being "fenced" off with a recognition camera operated gate.
I'm sure Tesla A.I. could learn to recognise a Tesla. There is probably not enough potential fines revenue for those private parking firms also, what really matters to Spectrum are their customers rather than us transients. The Tesla SUC rollout folk need to think this matters through during the project planning and contract stages. The location, as you imply, could not be better chosen if the required outcome is a cluster f uck.
No! Honest, I was not that irritated - really.
Doesn't need to be that complex. Number plate camera with a hookup to DVLA can tell you what's powering a car. Stick one of those bollards that sink into the road they use on bus lanes, pops up quickly enough to damage a sneaky ICE trying to tailgate in.

Or maybe this is why Tesla are making Tesla Bots (AKA Terminator T800's) to solve this issue.

Reactions: Wattsisname
😀Robotics 101 : Must not harm humans ( or our pets). Even so......
I bet the military won't be adding that into their robots and I suspect the non military ones they'll try but it'll have bugs. It'll be something like we are all living in perfect harmony with our robot friends until the Y2100 bug strikes. The robots will revert to thinking it's the stone ages where it was perfectly fine to club humans to death. ;)

Planning application for the Ipswich charger has gone in:

A few interesting things in that application, though the council haven't bothered putting up the covering letter that is referenced in the application form and might give more details.
  • It's specified in two phases - 12 stalls/3 cabinets to be fitted immediately, ground works in place to upgrade by a further 8 stalls later.
  • Whoever drew the plans can't count! It says "13no charge points" for the first phase, which seems a bit odd with V3 cabinets, but when you count them on the drawing there's only 12, which makes a lot more sense. Then it says "8no charge points" for the second phase, but there's only 7 on the drawing - again obviously an error as they've shaded 8 spaces and these are left-handed stalls so they've forgotten the post for the 8th one. Hopefully they fix this before the contractors start work!
  • The application squeezes in extra spaces across odd corners of the rest of the carpark. Is this to ensure no net loss of spaces for parking?
  • The IP1 4BY postcode prominent in the application as it appears on the webpage is misleading. Actual postcode of the site is IP1 5QP.
Edit: there's a note on the top corner of the layout plan, which confirms 24 bays removed to create 20 charging bays, but then 12 standard bays and 8 parent+child bays created elsewhere to give a net gain. Note also confirms that these are "Tesla EV bays", despite the applicant's name having been redacted from the application form.

Last edited:
A few interesting things in that application, though the council haven't bothered putting up the covering letter that is referenced in the application form and might give more details.
  • It's specified in two phases - 12 stalls/3 cabinets to be fitted immediately, ground works in place to upgrade by a further 8 stalls later.
  • Whoever drew the plans can't count! It says "13no charge points" for the first phase, which seems a bit odd with V3 cabinets, but when you count them on the drawing there's only 12, which makes a lot more sense. Then it says "8no charge points" for the second phase, but there's only 7 on the drawing - again obviously an error as they've shaded 8 spaces and these are left-handed stalls so they've forgotten the post for the 8th one. Hopefully they fix this before the contractors start work!
  • The application squeezes in extra spaces across odd corners of the rest of the carpark. Is this to ensure no net loss of spaces for parking?
  • The IP1 4BY postcode prominent in the application as it appears on the webpage is misleading. Actual postcode of the site is IP1 5QP.
Edit: there's a note on the top corner of the layout plan, which confirms 24 bays removed to create 20 charging bays, but then 12 standard bays and 8 parent+child bays created elsewhere to give a net gain. Note also confirms that these are "Tesla EV bays", despite the applicant's name having been redacted from the application form.
Well anyway it due to go to committee today. So will probably find out if it’s been waved through in the next week or so.

Thanks for this summary, I had a quick look and suspected there were some inconsistencies.
I'd estimate the map coordinates as (52.084200, 1.117500), in the Anglia Retail Park.
I've also added some links to the wiki post at the start of this thread.

Reactions: CMc1
Thanks for this summary, I had a quick look and suspected there were some inconsistencies.
I'd estimate the map coordinates as (52.084200, 1.117500), in the Anglia Retail Park.
I've also added some links to the wiki post at the start of this thread.
Pretty sure this is the proposed location…
D5D3F18C-56DF-470D-8F5C-BD5B8CD323AF.jpeg

Reactions: cezdoc
Thanks for posting the summary up, I think it’s actually being heard this week so we should have a result shortly.
Pretty sure this is the proposed location…
View attachment 904708
That is the exact location.

I’m local to the area and I’m really not sure why they are bothered about the loss of parking spaces in this retail park. They are not at a premium at all, the car park is massive, even with the proposed Lidl store going in.

One thing that are not a premium is pot holes and overly harsh speed bumps to ruin your suspension and wheels on.

I see that a planning application has been found for Merry Hill too: 12 supercharger stalls at Port West Retail Park, Dudley. I did a search and didn't come up with anything but it's referenced by MarcoRPTesla on Twitter:

Planning reference now found: P15/1758/C2, approved 06-Aug-21. If I understand correctly, the one of the planning conditions (specified in 2016) for this retail development was to provide electric vehicle charging points, and the supercharger (plus some some third party rapid units) allows that condition to be discharged. The site plan and Highways consultation response refer to a 12 bay Tesla Supercharger.

Reactions: CMc1 and arg