Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a bit confusing without context. You're saying there is a company going to build 40x 150kW fast charging stations across the UK in the 18 months? That sounds pretty good for a county the size of the UK.

If it was the article I saw, the company is Ionity (IONITY - Wikipedia) a joint venture from VAG, BMW, Mercedes, Ford and hopefully others.

The were 350kW chargers, which, as mentioned, no current car is equipped to charge at, although the Audi guy was quick to jump in and mention that an upgraded version of e-tron would.

I think the 40x is number of individual charge points, not geographical sites. There seem to be 2 UK sites so far (4 chargers each) and one in Eire. So 8 charge points in total for the whole of UK. Maybe 10 geographic sites for whole of UK? IMHO hardly worth the news story especially as it was mostly about the speed of charging from 350kW capacity stools.

200 sites, Europe wide planned by 2020.

Screenshot (142).png

Last edited:
Hi All,

32, yes, THIRTY TWO chargers to be installed at Woodall M1 northbound! Planning application should be approved imminently. In fact, they do appear to be doing a lot of groundworks there which looked remarkably like laying of cables in a trench, as I spotted yesterday.

Amazing!

Check out the site plans (2nd file from bottom)

Plan Portal

Yeeha!

32! They only have 8 the other side! I'll take a look when driving back that way Sunday and see what's going on. Wonder if they plan extending the southbound side?

Also Scotch corner is now on Zap Map, although I don't understand why they've been put at the hotel instead of the services. Makes no logical sense to me as the whole point is to juice up while grabbing a bite/toilet stop, not a destination charging facility. Especially as the services serve both north and south.

Any more news on this one? The "Decision Notice" at that link said it was approved August 2018.

Isn't it fascinating watching the almost complete lack of progress on superchargers in England, and contemplating the M3 sales buzz.

The "opening soon" sites on the map are just another example of Tesla's marketing including bare-faced lies.

There's going to be utter chaos at the popular supercharger sites within months. I'm surprised at the denial on this forum; doubling the number of Teslas on the road in a year cannot possibly result in anything other than carnage at Birchanger, Norton Park, Leeds, any of the London sites. There are going to be "I paid £40k for this car but I can't use it because I can't charge" stories in the press this time next year.

Their MO is to lie like crazy and gaslight owners; that might work OK for them when it's stuff like "breaking AP2 until it's an unusable mess and can't even do cruise control" or "removing 10kWh of capacity from peoples packs overnight" but I don't think it's going to fly when people trying to drive from London to Leeds have to queue an hour to get on a supercharger.

The "opening soon" sites on the map are just another example of Tesla's marketing including bare-faced lies.

So greedy land owners refusing to give access for power cables, or Ecotricity having a legal monopoly at most M way service have nothing to do with??

If the UK government is serious about EV adoption they need to make legal changes to allow chargers to be installed quicker.

I cannot see Fastned or Ionity managing to do any better over the next few years in the UK either.

So greedy land owners refusing to give access for power cables, or Ecotricity having a legal monopoly at most M way service have nothing to do with??

If the UK government is serious about EV adoption they need to make legal changes to allow chargers to be installed quicker.

Yes they also need to block monopolies like Ecotricity from being the only charge point operator at certain places

The other way of looking at this is Tesla's too cheap to pay the going rate or didn't think things through and ecotricity is paying for the privilege of exclusivity at some motorway services as part of its business model.

I was lead to believe the recent delay to supercharger commissioning was because of the decision to go ahead with V3. Once production of the V3 version has ramped up and existing sites are converted I would expect to see a fairly rapid expansion.

Aah... the optimism of a Tesla owner..

They could just as easily decide to let other companies roll out BP's forecourt chargemasters, the chargemasters at Mitchell and Butler Pubs, Tesco's link up with VW. Mind you there'll only be 1 or 2 stalls at each site but hopefully another site down the enxt street..Chargemaster Bingo and Polar Pogo will enter the Oxford Dictionary as Chingo and Popogo

Sussex coast is pretty baron too. Something promised for Brighton, but Havant (further west) and then Liphook changed viability for us. We don't have home charging when we are in that part of the world and 7kW (2 car point) whilst grocery shopping isn't really going to be something to rely on.

Unfortunately we have to factor in possible need for an unscheduled 50 mile dash so can't let things get too low.

Reactions: goRt
I was lead to believe the recent delay to supercharger commissioning was because of the decision to go ahead with V3. Once production of the V3 version has ramped up and existing sites are converted I would expect to see a fairly rapid expansion.

Hahaha hahaha hahahahahaha <breathe> hahahahahahaha

They didn't let waiting for v3 stop them expanding Grimtham.

If that excuse came from Tesla, it's just another example of them lying.

• Disagree
Reactions: cizUK