Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, there are only 2 units there, the main Edinburgh superchargers are a 5 minute drive from there and V3. Scotland really gets shafted with supercharger locations, the main locations in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow are not in convenient locations at all. Perth, Inverness and Fort William on the other hand have decent locations.

All things considered we've not done to badly IMHO. Since I picked up my car (September 2019) there have been 5 new sites added to the previous 6 in Scotland ... so nearly doubled the count. Most appear to be on main routes. We could do with a few more, but look around the UK, ... we're not alone!

All things considered we've not done to badly IMHO. Since I picked up my car (September 2019) there have been 5 new sites added to the previous 6 in Scotland ... so nearly doubled the count. Most appear to be on main routes. We could do with a few more, but look around the UK, ... we're not alone!
Wales would like a word...

Cardiff still charging at max of 50kW according to local user reports :(

The amount of superchargers isn't the problem, it's just the general locations. Hopefully Glasgow will get better once the service centre opens up.

The amount of superchargers isn't the problem, it's just the general locations. Hopefully Glasgow will get better once the service centre opens up.
The locations are generally good but not really for Glasgow or Edinburgh. The Kennedy st site will be a plus, and the Newbridge ones are really likely to get seriously snarled in queues leaving at the roundabout. Certain times of day I would still choose to head over to the airport (Edinburgh seriously sucks for ANY EV charging).
Yeh forgot the excellent Dundee ones. Perth, Abingdon and Gretna are spot on. However, I have used the Eurocentral ones way more than the others. The location is not that bad for somebody from Glasgow seriously on the go East or North and I would generally stop at Gretna if required heading south.. I would say that with the legs of a Tesla the density is pretty damn good. Stirling would be the icing on the cake. SW is a prob (ignoring Abindon and Gretna), but I would eventually like to see them cover the ferry terminals at Ardrossan and Cairnryan.

The locations are generally good but not really for Glasgow or Edinburgh. The Kennedy st site will be a plus, and the Newbridge ones are really likely to get seriously snarled in queues leaving at the roundabout. Certain times of day I would still choose to head over to the airport (Edinburgh seriously sucks for ANY EV charging).
Yeh forgot the excellent Dundee ones. Perth, Abingdon and Gretna are spot on. However, I have used the Eurocentral ones way more than the others. The location is not that bad for somebody from Glasgow seriously on the go East or North and I would generally stop at Gretna if required heading south.. I would say that with the legs of a Tesla the density is pretty damn good. Stirling would be the icing on the cake. SW is a prob (ignoring Abindon and Gretna), but I would eventually like to see them cover the ferry terminals at Ardrossan and Cairnryan.
On the ferry terminals - yes they are a strategic gap, especially since Stena/P&O moved from Stranraer (where there are at least a few public chargers) to Cairnryan. However I think I read somewhere on this thread that there's going to be a supercharger in Belfast reasonably near the port at the other end of the Stena ferry route.

York (well anywhere north or east of Leeds) and the whole nort east of England area is massively underserved by SuCs. My other half lives in York and her folks live close to Middlesbrough (I'm in Derbyshire). If I want to charge on the way to York I have to divert up the M1 (and also several miles off the M1) instead of the shorter A1 route, and the closest SuC to Middlesbrough area is Scotch Corner which is a 45 minute drive away.

We're in desperate need of the Ferrybridge SuC being put into place, along with (ideally) Wetherby services too.

Doesn't that happen at petrol stations? And it doesn't have to be a bank holiday weekend for that to happen either. Its not just a supercharger problem. I think many of us are use to rocking up to superchargers and not having to wait, so queuing is unusual, but not unknown.

It can of course though each car is maybe there 5 minutes vs 30 minutes to an hour is all. In reverse though no one can fill up an ICE car at home so it's hard to judge how much of a problem this might or might not become. I suspect more people getting electric cars at the moment considering the higher cost of them vs ICE are more likely to have off road parking to charge at home. Once prices come down to be closer or maybe even cheaper plus the push by the government away from ICE I expect public chargers will get a lot more people wanting to use them quickly.

Really important they keep building more quickly, make sure they work well and charge at good speeds if possible to stop people having to wait too long. Feel like it could get a bit messy overall in this transistion between ICE and electric but got to be done :)

Reactions: DigbyChicken
York (well anywhere north or east of Leeds) and the whole nort east of England area is massively underserved by SuCs. My other half lives in York and her folks live close to Middlesbrough (I'm in Derbyshire). If I want to charge on the way to York I have to divert up the M1 (and also several miles off the M1) instead of the shorter A1 route, and the closest SuC to Middlesbrough area is Scotch Corner which is a 45 minute drive away.

We're in desperate need of the Ferrybridge SuC being put into place, along with (ideally) Wetherby services too.
There are Instavolts in Ripon, Topcliffe and Darlington if they’re any use

Wetherby, being before the A1/A19 split would definitely be a bonus. It would also ease traffic on Scotch Corner too. Scotch Corner was super busy all last weekend.

to keep in it perspective though, we pulled into Durham Services Bank Holiday Monday because we needed food, toilets and a dog run so thought I’d grab me some ‘public’ . bonkers busy services and one lonely Ecotricity Chademo which is now showing out of service since yesterday. In the overall scheme of things we do have first world charging problems compared with everyone else don’t we? ;)

Reactions: browellm
I have to say I do like the software improvement that shows the number of stalls that are available at a supercharging site.
However, when you arrive at a site that has apparently 10 stalls available out of 16 and yet there are only 2 cars charging my heart sinks because it is very likely that 4 stalls are unserviceable, but which ones?
It would have been ever so thoughtful of Tesla to have included some sort of indication as to whether a charger was working or not, but to my knowledge they haven't. They all still glow with the reassuring red TESLA logo egging you on - "Try me!". You are almost guaranteed to find one of the unserviceable ones on your first pick. The occupants in the 2 cars opposite look away as they get great satisfaction in seeing someone feel as foolish as they did 10 minutes ago when they did the same thing. Why is it always raining when this happens?

So from now on folks, if you find a supercharger is unserviceable please wrap the cable over the top so when I turn up I don't get unnecessarily wet. Thankyou.

IMG_0263.jpeg

would have been ever so thoughtful of Tesla to have included some sort of indication as to whether a charger was working or not, but to my knowledge they haven't
They have, just isn’t rolled out everywhere in typical Tesla fashion. From what I gather it’s inputted manually and not the stalls talking to the car’s data. - maybe one day.

Are they though? Tesla charges for DC delivered to the car. Ecotricity for AC consumed by the Charger. You probably need to add 10% the Eco price to compare.
Lesson learnt.

Ecotricity charged my credit card £9.42. Tesla logged 27.4 kWh used. That's 34.4 p/kWh, against an advertised 30 p/kWh and the supercharger rate of 33 p/kWh.

If the TeslaFi data is accurate, this means that the Ecotricity charger efficiency is only 87.3% - I think that's very low. Solid state power electronics should be achieving well above 95%. Though, it's worth adding that the charger spent a reasonable time approaching 100% charge, so the efficiency would have dropped as the charger was only partially loaded, but I wouldn't have expected this much of a drop.

Luke

Reactions: Aero and ringi