Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Managed a visit to the Tralee, Co Kerry, Ireland Supercharger over Xmas šŸ˜ƒ
Was very slow at 32kW but did the job eventually (didnā€™t bother moving as thereā€™s only 2 tombstones) and my battery was fairly cold.
104EC149-8C27-4C73-87D2-1349095BA1E1.jpeg
14059076-4D71-4110-92EB-FFED2AAEB6D0.jpeg
BE4544B5-EBBD-4FA1-93E4-E43F64FD16F8.jpeg

Thought you might be interested to see the latest stats that I do for TOUK.
ā€¢Supercharger growth over time (including vs Ionity as a comparison)
ā€¢Supercharger growth vs Tesla fleet on the road
ā€¢V2 and V3 rollout
ā€¢Cars per supercharger bay
ā€¢Bays per car
ā€¢Charging power (theoretical total) deployed over time.View attachment 751384View attachment 751385View attachment 751386View attachment 751387View attachment 751388View attachment 751389
Hope the SuC V cars ratio increases. Looks like itā€™s been fairly balanced in 20-21. Those ~15 sites in construction should assist with that.

Hope the SuC V cars ratio increases. Looks like itā€™s been fairly balanced in 20-21. Those ~15 sites in construction should assist with that.
The statistical dataset that includes Q3 is a few days late so the registration data only goes up to Q2. We can therefore expect a substantial uptick in the Tesla fleet so those sites in construction are desperately needed to try and counteract the flood of new cars!

Reactions: petit_bateau
Thanks PB1975, that is most useful and educating. There is obviously a trade off when sites are v3 rather than v2, and particularly where they change with an upgrade from 2 to 3. This distorts the appearance (- not that I am criticising your work!) in that 6 v3 can do the work of 12 v2 if they are all occupied. There are some sites that have regular queues that presumably will be prioritised for upgrading.

Whether they get done because of power/planning etc is another thing. Certainly the considerable increase in M3/MY owners in this and next year (me included) will want to enjoy the benefits of a reliable as well as expanded network.

My data point is that I regularly stay at Scotch Corner hotel. Over the years I have always seen plenty of availability at the chargers there, and spoken to the car owners to get a feel for the Tesla experience. When I got my M3 in September I had already noticed the increased use there and I am part of that increased fleet of M3's, although as a resident I can avoid "rush hour". Queues are now regular at peak periods. There are going to be many more Teslas by this time next year on the UK roads. The v3 bases have been sitting there for some months so somebody is working on it, albeit slowly! If the same problem exists elsewhere in the UK in the same way I fear for a crunch in a year's time.

Thought you might be interested to see the latest stats that I do for TOUK.
ā€¢Supercharger growth over time (including vs Ionity as a comparison)
ā€¢Supercharger growth vs Tesla fleet on the road
ā€¢V2 and V3 rollout
ā€¢Cars per supercharger bay
ā€¢Bays per car
ā€¢Charging power (theoretical total) deployed over time.View attachment 751384View attachment 751385View attachment 751386View attachment 751387View attachment 751388View attachment 751389
Thank you.

For the UK you are currently showing 85 cars per connector. By way of comparison Tesla's global average is now 69 cars per connector. In the last 2-years the UK ratio has gone from being significantly better than the global average to significantly worse. As other comments show, Tesla in the UK could benefit from a bit more love and attention or else it will become a poorer ownership experience.

(But Ionity ...... oh my)

1641224784193.png

Reactions: Elmet
Thank you.

For the UK you are currently showing 85 cars per connector. By way of comparison Tesla's global average is now 69 cars per connector. In the last 2-years the UK ratio has gone from being significantly better than the global average to significantly worse. As other comments show, Tesla in the UK could benefit from a bit more love and attention or else it will become a poorer ownership experience.

(But Ionity ...... oh my)

View attachment 751426
And when the Q3 data is release the ratio will worsen further (and even then we will still be one quarter behind)!
The U.K. has particularly challenging issues that make it very tough for the Supercharger team, and Tesla have said before it is their most difficult market for Superchargers. Iā€™m amazed that theyā€™ve made the progress they have so far!
The Moto projects should make a significant difference as they roll out, and if Roadchef can act similarly then service areas look much better catered for.

Thanks PB1975, that is most useful and educating. There is obviously a trade off when sites are v3 rather than v2, and particularly where they change with an upgrade from 2 to 3. This distorts the appearance (- not that I am criticising your work!) in that 6 v3 can do the work of 12 v2 if they are all occupied. There are some sites that have regular queues that presumably will be prioritised for upgrading.

Whether they get done because of power/planning etc is another thing. Certainly the considerable increase in M3/MY owners in this and next year (me included) will want to enjoy the benefits of a reliable as well as expanded network.

My data point is that I regularly stay at Scotch Corner hotel. Over the years I have always seen plenty of availability at the chargers there, and spoken to the car owners to get a feel for the Tesla experience. When I got my M3 in September I had already noticed the increased use there and I am part of that increased fleet of M3's, although as a resident I can avoid "rush hour". Queues are now regular at peak periods. There are going to be many more Teslas by this time next year on the UK roads. The v3 bases have been sitting there for some months so somebody is working on it, albeit slowly! If the same problem exists elsewhere in the UK in the same way I fear for a crunch in a year's time.
Agreed. interesting graph but it's misleading to suggest that cars/charger is the key take-away. Using the power per car is perhaps more valuable.

2021: 150MW / 65000 cars = 2.3KW/car
2020: 100MW / 50,000 cars = 2KW/car

therefore there is more charging per car this year than last. Of course this is also not ideal, v3 with 250KW won't charge cars 2x as fast as a v2, but also if all the v2s were in use then load is shared between pairs.

The important measure we won't know but assume Tesla do is the number of times people haven't been able to connect without waiting. I'm hardly a major use of SuperChargers this year, but in the 8 visits I've had I haven't queued or shared power.

Didn't get a photo but the 8 extra bays in Edinburgh are in the ground/no barriers around them, just signs on each one saying not available for use yet. They are installed differently from the first 8 in terms of positioning.
When I was there today for a charge on the way home from Preston I noticed that although the barriers are gone the barriers have been replaced by cones in each bay, presumably waiting for the rubber bump stops to be installed. The power units are still covered over as well. The chargers are parallel with the bays rather than at right angles so the car actually reverses between the chargers.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
When I was there [Edinburgh Newbridge] today [ā€¦] presumably waiting for the rubber bump stops to be installed. The power units are still covered over as well. The chargers are parallel with the bays rather than at right angles so the car actually reverses between the chargers.
Yep, I posted a photo of the bases a few pages back - different layout probably due to the hedge on this side of the road/parking. Hopefully the additional 8 chargers open soon, Iā€™ll be back there in a couple of weeks and it was full last time.

I just noticed that Derby appears to be missing from Tesla's website map. Has it disappeared or did it never formally appear?

Can't find anything specific about it in this thread since it was opened.

View attachment 754422
I've done a couple of spot checks and as far as I can tell Tesla last updated the UK supercharger list in the first half of November. At that point Derby was at least partly commissioned (6 of 12) but for some reason wasn't added - the last website updates were to remove London - Tower and add Flimwell. Derby wasn't a "coming soon" pin so I don't think it has ever been added to Tesla's webpage listing & map.
The Nav shows 12 stalls available and I think I've seen a couple of posts on FB indicating that is the case on the ground - there's been some discussion about out of hours access and getting parking tickets validated.

On a separate note the extra 8 stalls at Edinburgh Newbridge appear to be live but not yet accessible for general use. Since early January the Nav has indicated 16 total but never more than 8 free and visitors to the Service Centre report that the new stalls are either coned off or in use by the Service Centre. It may be that they are freed up when end-of-quarter rushes die down.

• Love
Reactions: PB1975 and CMc1