Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These chargers were never on the map. Tesla did a deal with the owner of a whole series of shopping centres to put in mainly older V2's. May have been a very good deal for Tesla.
Perhaps going forward existing v2 sites located on main transport routes could be upgraded to v3 (or v4) sites and the hardware transferred to locations where speed isn't as necessary.

But that's th

But that's the point.
You get charged for overstaying SC.
You will not go there for Shopping and will drop car for a charge while you shop.
*You* don’t go there to do that, but thousands of other owners do charge there every year and shop and move, or do a short shop and go, making use of the shopping centre sites. All of those thousands of charging episodes are ones removed from the SuC sites that you do like the location of. This means they are less busy for you.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
*You* don’t go there to do that, but thousands of other owners do charge there every year and shop and move, or do a short shop and go, making use of the shopping centre sites. All of those thousands of charging episodes are ones removed from the SuC sites that you do like the location of. This means they are less busy for you.
eh? this is completely new SC. how you know that other owners do charge there?

These chargers were never on the map. Tesla did a deal with the owner of a whole series of shopping centres to put in mainly older V2's. May have been a very good deal for Tesla.
Centre wanted them to attract more "rich" customers no doubt.
Tesla , the more superchargers the better.
Drivers the more the better.

So its win win win.

However IF Tesla now don't install chargers in another nearby more convenient location because of these then that is different but we have no evidence that that is or will be the case.
They installed in Cribbs despite having Lysander and Gordano just down the road. So in my mind these are extra and not going to look a gift horse in the mouth even if its not the best gift ever.
I was happy to go to Cribbs and get some lunch on a road trip in July when Gordano was rammed and Lysander has no facilities. Yes I had to use the loo then go back to the car for 10 minutes and then move it while my wife found somewhere to eat and get a table. And yes I had to run the gauntlet of John Lewis without her buying anything but it was still a good location for us on that occasion.
Not sure about the “level”, I just went in following M3 map/directions and it was literally up a slight ramp and they were there. I was driving from Sheffield to Stoke and the navigation originally flagged up Woodall, but changed because that was full - so this was “on the way”

Depending on which supercharger, it's not just a few pence. I stopped at the Heathrow chargers on my way back to Bath from London last night, because it was 20p kWh. The nav wanted me to charge at Membury where it's 37p kWh - nearly double.
TOUK keeps a table of Supercharger prices Including time-based ones. Partly for info but also to track how it evolves over time. I’ll find it and post a screenshot.

Reactions: timnd
As we all know - the world can’t have enough Designer Outlets…so I was overjoyed to hear from my local relatives that Scotch Corner was getting one….

54B17C32-D635-4367-A16A-F62281090936.jpeg

(Existing Supercharger red scrawl circle, Outlet to left)

Works start on the 7th (electrical first I hear), so if you see stuff happening, now you know why - but - anyone more skilled than I able to locate the plans for its car park?! It seems an opportunity I hope Tesla spotted and I wonder if the plans might show anything. Yes, quite speculative, I know.

i couldn’t find documents attached to the associated applications on the Richmondshire District Council site.

I know we’ve spotted extra concrete bases at the hotel…unmoved last I saw them in person….but it would be nice to get away from the awful Parking Eye rigmarole/risk and have v3’s. Wonder if the latter could piggyback on the local power works - even if still located at the hotel.

As we all know - the world can’t have enough Designer Outlets…so I was overjoyed to hear from my local relatives that Scotch Corner was getting one….

View attachment 760099

Works start on the 7th (electrical first I hear), so if you see stuff happening, now you know why - but - anyone more skilled than I able to locate the plans for its car park?! It seems an opportunity I hope Tesla spotted and I wonder if the plans might show anything. Yes, quite speculative, I know.

i couldn’t find documents attached to the associated applications on the Richmondshire District Council site.

I know we’ve spotted extra concrete bases at the hotel…unmoved last I saw them in person….but it would be nice to get away from the awful Parking Eye rigmarole/risk and have v3’s. Wonder if the latter could piggyback on the local power works - even if still located at the hotel.
Richmondshire District Council planning ref 20/00955/FULL > Associated Documents includes a site plan (Site Plan Proposed - Ex - 19306-0002-P-08 Site Layout). EV charging bays are listed in the amendments but I couldn't see them marked on the map (possibly the boxes adjacent to spaces at the top, i.e. NW corner, of car park). Nothing that looks like Superchargers though.

Reactions: nufan and CMc1
That’s the sort of location that it makes more sense to have hundreds of 7kw chargers over a dozen rapids. You don’t go there for a 30min stop, in reality it’s several hours.

I’d not turn down extra stalls at the existing supercharger site though if they can piggy back off the extra capacity being put in.

well, maybe not 150, but 20 or so of 7kW, or even 22kW chargers would be much better investment.

most people will arrive there more or less from home or within what, 10 mile driving distance? Why would you charge for 5 times higher cost than at home, even if it will take 5 minutes?
I'd rather drop my car there for an hour or two, it would charge while I am shopping and no idle fees when it's fully charged.
100+ kw supercharger there makes absolutely no sense. they will be empty most of the time.
There are a lot of tesla M3s used by uber drivers in london. Most ride-hailing drivers in london won't have home charging options and places like Westfield which are fairly central with a lot of ultra-fast chargers are a good option for them. Uber has committed to having 100% electric fleet in London by 2025 so I think Tesla will see high demand for these type of supercharger locations. If Tesla Robotaxis ever happen, will be exponential.

There are a lot of tesla M3s used by uber drivers in london. Most ride-hailing drivers in london won't have home charging options and places like Westfield which are fairly central with a lot of ultra-fast chargers are a good option for them. Uber has committed to having 100% electric fleet in London by 2025 so I think Tesla will see high demand for these type of supercharger locations. If Tesla Robotaxis ever happen, will be exponential.
well London centre is a bit different from Derby centre...

View attachment 760099

Drove past there yesterday and flashing signs advising road to Richmond is closed for works soon, hopefully see some progress, been waiting for this for ages, I was even scared to pop into the Hotel carpark just to see how many Teslas were charging wasn't sure if you needed to register at reception even when dropping off?

Reactions: nufan
I used Derby superchargers yesterday. They’re in the multi-story car park so undercover! My M3 sat-nav included them in my route. You have to go through barriers to enter and leave car park and exit barrier tried to charge me for the stay. I dialled for assistance and questioned this and the lady said you do not pay for parking so wiped the cost
I hope you don't have to do that every time as it sounds like a PITA. Particularly if another car is behind you waiting to get out too.

Poor pics, but latest at Wetherby

View attachment 760445View attachment 760446View attachment 760448

Not the typical Tesla set up…furthest bays could be the 90° variant set up (different to shown on planning) as looks like the first lot are slightly different ready for GRIDSERVE
It looks like they have only resurfaced part of the area indicated in the proposed site plans (highlighted below). This was the area with the oval Tesla-shaped bases on the plans but it now looks unlikely that they will be located there (otherwise they wouldn't have finished the tarmac before putting the Supercharger tombstone bases in). Let's hope the revised plans still include Superchargers - but for now I'd say there's no evidence they are imminent.
2022-01-26 Wetherby plan labelled.jpg

Reactions: CMc1