Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bpth Birch and Rownhams have been approved for Green Recovery Scheme funding to enhance grid capacity in these areas, so hopefully these will resurface once grid capacity is available.
Heywood Birch area strategic reinforcement (£0.7m): laying 2 x 4km cables to increase network capacity and help facilitate new connections, including EV charging at Birch MSA and future low carbon technologies around Birch Business Park.
Rownhams - North Southampton (£9.6m): reinforcement of Rownhams substation and the installation of two 33kV new cables from Rownhams substation to a new substation at Rownhams MSA, creating 30MW of additional capacity. SSEN believe that scheme proposes a long-term, whole system optimised solution at both the north and south sides of Rownhams MSA.

Reactions: cezdoc
So, thanks to some incompetence on my part I ended up leaving work this morning on 13% charge. Decided to stop at a supercharger and use some of those free miles that expire next month so checked the map to decide between my 2 usual options, South Mimms or Chelmsford.

Then I saw Grays?? I'm sure I've never seen this one before. Did some googling but couldn't find any info so took a chance and here it is, a beautiful sight indeed right in the Lakeside car parks.

These are new surely?

Attachments

• PXL_20220211_040751085.jpg
    PXL_20220211_040751085.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 138
According to first page of our excellent Wiki it opened 25 Jan

Last edited:
Poor pics, but latest at Wetherby

View attachment 760445View attachment 760446View attachment 760448

Not the typical Tesla set up…furthest bays could be the 90° variant set up (different to shown on planning) as looks like the first lot are slightly different ready for GRIDSERVE

Visited Whetherby a few days ago and all is quiet, clean and tidy with little progress since last. No materials on site, other than some larger HV cables. Could be waiting for HV cable pulls before progressing with stalls etc.

Visited Whetherby a few days ago and all is quiet, clean and tidy with little progress since last. No materials on site, other than some larger HV cables. Could be waiting for HV cable pulls before progressing with stalls etc.
I was looking at the foundations and comparing your previous pics with some of the Gridserve Electric Highway expansions, e.g. as tweeted by Maz Shar (link below). I can't see anything in the foundations (sockets in tarmac or charging cabinet bases) that looks like Tesla equipment at this stage. The sockets in the tarmac all appear to be arranged in groups of three: two protection posts and a conduit for the charging unit cables. I'm not sure if it's possible to tell if they will be the new 350 kW units as used at Swansea or a series of more conventional rapids like the ones that have gone in at Gordano (see pics in tweet thread).

I'm steeling myself for disappointment just in case Tesla chargers don't appear but if Gridserve can effectively support and maintain the new upgraded units they will be a huge asset for all long distance EV travellers.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
Does anyone know whether the 2nd set of tesla superchargers at fleet services (north side) will be opening anytime soon?
It says Q4 2021 on the tesla map which is of course in the past :p

I can't charge at home so will be mostly relying on the fleet superchargers and the south side is a lot less convenient for me

Does anyone know whether the 2nd set of tesla superchargers at fleet services (north side) will be opening anytime soon?
It says Q4 2021 on the tesla map which is of course in the past :p

I can't charge at home so will be mostly relying on the fleet superchargers and the south side is a lot less convenient for me

the 8 there not enough for you :p

Are they an expansion or were they there before but covered up due to lack of power? Was there an hour ago and they were still covered up with ‘coming soon’ which isn’t any help. Two gridserve chargers too closer to the services building so at least two more hopefully reliable chargers available.

Adderston supercharger, 3 not working (2A, B & C). Camt get in touch with Tesla to report it because they are only open office hours.

Only car here and managing a meagre 60kW.

Stopped earlier at a busy Scotch Corner and only managed 50kW.

This is my first long trip in a tesla and far from impressed at supercharger network so far.

Adderston supercharger, 3 not working (2A, B & C). Camt get in touch with Tesla to report it because they are only open office hours.

Only car here and managing a meagre 60kW.

Stopped earlier at a busy Scotch Corner and only managed 50kW.

This is my first long trip in a tesla and far from impressed at supercharger network so far.
If I remember Scotch Corner is V2 and if it was busy, I'm guessing most stalls, you would have shared the max output. On top of that, depending on the percentage of charge your car already had, it drops down gradually as you fill up. Did you also preheat prior to arrival as well?
I very rarely have any issues at superchargers compared to the other available networks, but everyone's experience can differ.

I was looking at the foundations and comparing your previous pics with some of the Gridserve Electric Highway expansions, e.g. as tweeted by Maz Shar (link below). I can't see anything in the foundations (sockets in tarmac or charging cabinet bases) that looks like Tesla equipment at this stage. The sockets in the tarmac all appear to be arranged in groups of three: two protection posts and a conduit for the charging unit cables. I'm not sure if it's possible to tell if they will be the new 350 kW units as used at Swansea or a series of more conventional rapids like the ones that have gone in at Gordano (see pics in tweet thread).

I'm steeling myself for disappointment just in case Tesla chargers don't appear but if Gridserve can effectively support and maintain the new upgraded units they will be a huge asset for all long distance EV travellers.

Agreed, but IIRC the orientation/layout of a few of the sockets in the tarmac are different to the rest implying a different charger type for a few bays. Maybe it’s my mind playing tricks. Will double check on next visit.

Also worth noting that the full row of bays haven’t been worked on yet (if final design still matches planning), so might be part of a different phase. Fingers crossed.

I’ve noticed Intu Metrocentre Green and Blue zones are bringing 46 additional charge points as part of their solar canopy project. Plans council’s site only show 14 (and not Tesla layout) but on-site PR mentions additional 46 EV bays coming. Current chargers on site are ran by Hubsta, via Elmtronics.

Latest plan amendments were approved 3rd Feb 22.

Metrocentre is situated alongside the A1 in Gateshead.

Tesla have been involved at other Intu shopping centres.

One to to potentially watch.

DF008B10-19BC-439C-9FE9-8F7B3E931A36.jpeg

Last edited:
Over on another forum, it looks like Ferrybridge is progressing with pictures of some of the 12 bases being installed for the Tesla Superchargers.

It was posted by a Zoe driver looking for some new Gridserve chargers, which don’t look to have started yet. To be fair to Gridserve, with the Wetherby and Swansea hubs going in and all the old mostly broken Ecocitricty chargers at the Welcome Break services finally being replaced, they are quite busy at present.