Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its time that N Ireland had a few super chargers installed . would I be correct in saying we are the only part of the uk that does not have any super chargers .

Soon?

1644764434899.png

I think its time that N Ireland had a few super chargers installed . would I be correct in saying we are the only part of the uk that does not have any super chargers .
Yes correct, the nearest chargers are at Castlebellingham in ROI (which do at least facilitate travel between Belfast and Dublin). Travel to/from N Ireland would also really benefit from a Supercharger serving the ferry route through Cairnryan - there's nothing SW of Glasgow and Gretna frequently sees queues these days. Fingers crossed Tesla can make their proposed Belfast Supercharger a reality soon.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
100% correct. There has been a forecast of one titled "Belfast" for most of last year, but unlikely to be most of this year too if what EVANI are reporting is a Boucher Road electricity problem.

Not that Belfast is any use for you to "drop by" on a run from Limavady!

Adderston supercharger, 3 not working (2A, B & C). Camt get in touch with Tesla to report it because they are only open office hours.

Only car here and managing a meagre 60kW.

Stopped earlier at a busy Scotch Corner and only managed 50kW.

This is my first long trip in a tesla and far from impressed at supercharger network so far.
I noticed that Adderstone was reporting 3 stalls out of service on Saturday morning so maybe you were unlucky and the fault had only just occurred. Generally they are pretty quick to pick up faults and report them back via the Nav info although it would be great to have an in-car user-report option (e.g. if there's a damaged connector which might not show up on remote diagnosis).

Sounds like you were a bit unlucky but busy Superchargers are becoming more common and there are known pinch points (e.g. Scotch Corner, Gretna) where you're more likely to share and get less power if it's a V2 site - or have to queue for a short while. At least the Nav gives some warning of this. It's still a step up from any other charging network though where you basically need a couple of alternatives for every charge stop just in case your chosen one is occupied/out of service - and you don't generally have advanced warning until you get there.

If I remember Scotch Corner is V2 and if it was busy, I'm guessing most stalls, you would have shared the max output. On top of that, depending on the percentage of charge your car already had, it drops down gradually as you fill up. Did you also preheat prior to arrival as well?
I very rarely have any issues at superchargers compared to the other available networks, but everyone's experience can differ.
Travelled from Cambridge so everything was up to temps and preheated etc. Doing journey back now from Edinburgh supercharger where I got 110kW to 53kW at Scotch Corner again. 50min wait until I can continue my journey to Grantham with battery starting at 17%. Its not the best really.

I’ve noticed Intu Metrocentre Green and Blue zones are bringing 46 additional charge points as part of their solar canopy project. Plans council’s site only show 14 (and not Tesla layout) but on-site PR mentions additional 46 EV bays coming. Current chargers on site are ran by Hubsta, via Elmtronics.

Latest plan amendments were approved 3rd Feb 22.

Metrocentre is situated alongside the A1 in Gateshead.

Tesla have been involved at other Intu shopping centres.

One to to potentially watch.

View attachment 768068

Intu went bust in 2020, Sovereign Centros are running it on behalf of the owners Metrocentre Partnership.

Nevertheless, that's pretty good news to have that many charge points at one location.

Intu went bust in 2020, Sovereign Centros are running it on behalf of the owners Metrocentre Partnership.

Nevertheless, that's pretty good news to have that many charge points at one location.
You’re right. I just couldn’t be bothered to explain and most have heard of Intu, and the link to other Supercharger sites.

Worth noting this is pretty close to the proposed (and yet to start developing) GRIDSERVE Electric Forecourt in Gateshead (which shows Tesla on the plans) as well as the Washington Superchargers.

Neither of these 3 sites are enroute or close to Tesla Newcastle service centre (which currently has inadequate power supply for Superchargers - even the destination chargers are severely load managed)

I’ve also heard of plans for a new shopping centre at Scotch Corner with plans for 2000 parking spaces with 150 charging points. If you are heading north towards Scotch Corner it’s just before the hotel with the Tesla Superchargers on the West of the A1/M1.

It might make the area a touch busy around the Superchargers.

Scotch Corner Designer Village

• Informative
Reactions: SpareHeadOne
Adderston supercharger, 3 not working (2A, B & C). Camt get in touch with Tesla to report it because they are only open office hours.

Only car here and managing a meagre 60kW.

Stopped earlier at a busy Scotch Corner and only managed 50kW.

This is my first long trip in a tesla and far from impressed at supercharger network so far.
Did you stop at the supercharger without preheating?

For the ones that I have been to, there has been no problems for me.

Faversham looks certain to be the Macknades Farm Shop (plus street food type options). The Tesla pin is at the top left corner of the property. (Tooting my own horn alert: I proposed this site so I am feeling smug today).
Guildford SC definitely have their location decided so I agree it can only really mean this site,
View attachment 764335
Yes looking at the map I would say that. There is plenty of space in the Macknade car park for quite a few Superchargers. Good to have one near the A2. I believe there's one possibly planned for Dover too? Here's some pics, no sign of any preparation yet...

IMG_6793.jpg
IMG_6792.jpg
IMG_6794.jpg

Reactions: PB1975
Yes looking at the map I would say that. There is plenty of space in the Macknade car park for quite a few Superchargers. Good to have one near the A2. I believe there's one possibly planned for Dover too? Here's some pics, no sign of any preparation yet...

View attachment 768812View attachment 768810View attachment 768811
It’s down as a Q2 project so we could see signs of activity starting soon. I only pass occasionally so won’t be able to keep my eye on it very often. Do you pass regularly?

Anyone know what’s happening with birch or Trafford centre? Seem to be ongoing for agea
No idea on Birch, but at the Trafford Centre the supercharger stalls look complete, and the high voltage enclosure looks tidy, however if you follow the trench across the car park, it is fairly obvious what remains to be done...

PXL_20220213_104840645.jpg

PXL_20220213_104844255.jpg

Neither of these 3 sites are enroute or close to Tesla Newcastle service centre (which currently has inadequate power supply for Superchargers - even the destination chargers are severely load managed)

Yeah, but to be honest that site is at the back end of an industrial estate in a compound that's supposed to be locked at night so isn't really ideal anyway.

I'm sure there was a rumour about them moving a few years ago, maybe they'll go somewhere with power and better access if they do.