Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly Ferrybridge looks very much designed to allow non-Teslas with the charge port in stupid locations easy access to charge.

Not sure it is, they need to spread the bays out or people will still be blocking chargers.

There really needs to be one tombstone on every other space, that way it doesn’t matter if the port is on the left or right.

Either way good to see it progressing as it’s really needed on the A1 and will make trips to that area much easier, particularly going east from there.

Reactions: iandko and roadcred
Not sure it is, they need to spread the bays out or people will still be blocking chargers.

There really needs to be one tombstone on every other space, that way it doesn’t matter if the port is on the left or right.

Either way good to see it progressing as it’s really needed on the A1 and will make trips to that area much easier, particularly going east from there.
I don't think Ferrybridge has the space to support that. That layout might allow the cable to reach the port on a car with the charge port on the left front wing which is not the case with the normal placement so it might be a step in the right direction if you count allowing non Teslas to charge as the right direction that is).
Not sure it would reach an ID3 though.
I guess we will need to go back to choosing alternate stalls like in the V2 days to minimise the chance of someone coming in and using the wrong one if and when they expand the "trial" our way :)

Superchargers at Woodall Services on the southbound M1 are really poorly signed - nearly ended up back on the motorway and surely they could put a slip road in properly. Whole set up looks like an afterthought.

Outside of Woodall Spa, South Yorkshire as a whole could do with more options and availability. The only option other than the services are the ones at Tankersley Manor. Both options are on/just off the M1 and quite a distance between. Some more accessible options would be helpful.

That’s said any further options for rapid charging would be equally appreciated.

Popped into Harrogate for a coffee, guy serving us didnt know when the chargers would be activated but said there had been more than a few folks asking..great place for a stop off and stock up in the food hall..

Attachments

• 5E164223-74ED-4B91-9791-CD7C19E2049E.jpeg
    5E164223-74ED-4B91-9791-CD7C19E2049E.jpeg
    932.9 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: bctomuk
Superchargers at Woodall Services on the southbound M1 are really poorly signed - nearly ended up back on the motorway and surely they could put a slip road in properly. Whole set up looks like an afterthought.
I know what you mean, thankfully I turned right too early so just had turn round and head back. The no entry sign that has writing on the say other than Tesla's confused me on the approach and I didn't really want to end up back on the M1. Though I could have made it to Mansfield easily and they're faster chargers I think.

Gretna - northbound
Was I being thick? Had a stinker yesterday heading north in Storm Franklin.
All Tesla chargers full, but the end one (away from the service station)didn’t seem any use as I had to park on the motorbike section and the cable wouldn’t reach the car as it was too far to get to the other side of the car (reversed in).
So sacked that, and charged on an ecotricity that “promised” either 120 or 150 but delivered 30kw. Car was on 7% and pre-conditioned.
Eventually some Tesla spaces opened up. So I got a mere 65kw juice up and carried on my way once I hit 50%.
All in all a disappointing experience.

Gretna - northbound
All Tesla chargers full, but the end one (away from the service station)didn’t seem any use as I had to park on the motorbike section and the cable wouldn’t reach the car as it was too far to get to the other side of the car (reversed in).
So sacked that, and charged on an ecotricity that “promised” either 120 or 150 but delivered 30kw. Car was on 7% and pre-conditioned.
Eventually some Tesla spaces opened up. So I got a mere 65kw juice up and carried on my way once I hit 50%.
All in all a disappointing experience.
Yup was there last night too. Had better luck than you as it was showing waits most of the way there, but got space on arrival. A load share on a V2, seems lame these days. That whole stretch of north M6/M74 needs more capacity. Getting worse every boat load of Teslas in Southhamption !

Gretna - northbound
What were the other cars doing? All are supposed to be reversed into a space and using the post which straddles the space they are parked in and the one towards the passenger side. So the post that straddles the line between the motorcycle bay and the charging bay to the left (as viewed from the centre of the carpark looking towards the verge) is meant to be used by a car parked in that bay to the left, not anything parked in the motorcycle bay.

Some sites are laid out such that cars can park forwards or backwards and doing it the opposite way to how the designer intended ends up wasting a bay at the end (Darts Farm Exeter is notorious for this - and once some people have started using it the wrong way and you come along wanting to use the one free bay, you are then forced to continue getting it wrong). However, I can't see how that could happen at Gretna.

Or are you being confused by these double-cable V2 posts? Although each post has two cables (unlike those for V3 superchargers that have only one), you can only use one cable at a time from each post - the two cables are there to suit Model S/X vs. Model 3/Y which have different connectors. On the V3, drivers of Model S/X have to carry an adaptor.

Reactions: cezdoc
What were the other cars doing? All are supposed to be reversed into a space and using the post which straddles the space they are parked in and the one towards the passenger side. So the post that straddles the line between the motorcycle bay and the charging bay to the left (as viewed from the centre of the carpark looking towards the verge) is meant to be used by a car parked in that bay to the left, not anything parked in the motorcycle bay.

Some sites are laid out such that cars can park forwards or backwards and doing it the opposite way to how the designer intended ends up wasting a bay at the end (Darts Farm Exeter is notorious for this - and once some people have started using it the wrong way and you come along wanting to use the one free bay, you are then forced to continue getting it wrong). However, I can't see how that could happen at Gretna.

Or are you being confused by these double-cable V2 posts? Although each post has two cables (unlike those for V3 superchargers that have only one), you can only use one cable at a time from each post - the two cables are there to suit Model S/X vs. Model 3/Y which have different connectors. On the V3, drivers of Model S/X have to carry an adaptor.
I think, and I am easily confused, that it was maybe a case of once someone parked wrong it was a hard habit to break. All the cables seemed to be being used so not a one cable or the other. And they were short. No chance I could’ve parked nose in. Parked in the aforementioned motorbike section and had a go but no way was the cable reaching.
As has been mentioned, the route “norf” needs a bit more capacity. I was game for some low battery roulette as I couldn’t be bothered driving into Tebay north going across the little road to get Tebay south and back again, so all my eggs were in Gretna’s basket.
As an aside. On the southbound journey, the day before, the satnav showed a clock on the Tebay chargers (assumed that meant a queue) but when I arrived they were literally all empty. 2pm. Strange?

7B1D4170-ABDA-4B6F-A8AA-BA93D04B4F08.png

You can see the one on the right and how it was no use to me (google maps) with what I think is a beemer in a Tesla space.
Or is that just 4 sharers? Thus my confusion?

Edit - google has cleared this up. I think I was clouded with rage and bad weather. Sorry.
So only 4 chargers. My error.
Worth the hassle of a u-turn to get to the 8 at Tebay, or trying to get to the 6 at Abingdon.
Gretna is dead to me now!!
And those ecotricity chargers. Jesus wept. What a waste of time and false hope.

Last edited: