Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not aware of any V3 sites in the UK that don't offer 250 kW max at all stalls.

Has anyone gathered any info on the sharing at V3 sites? It seems fairly clear from the rating plates on the cabinets that while 250kW can be delivered to any one charging stall, each V3 cabinet has only 350kW max AC input at 480V (so probably less at 400V). There is then an 800V DC bus which can be used to link the cabinets together and/or to batteries or solar; this is labelled as accepting 575kW, so would give a total of 925kW - not quite enough to give 250kW on every output, but pretty close.

It seems likely that a site with a single V3 cabinet on its own is therefore limited to something around 80kW per stall on average - but with finer-grain sharing than V2, maybe completely arbitrary sharing.

Things I haven't seen any info on regarding UK sites:
  • Are they all with Tesla-owned transformer (hence 480V) or are some using existing local supplies and hence a lower voltage and so a lower total to be shared out?
  • Are Tesla using any of the inter-cabinet DC links in the UK? I haven't seen any sign of batteries or large-scale solar, but they could be linking the cabinets together so that the sharing is across the whole site rather than just groups of 4.

Has anyone gathered any info on the sharing at V3 sites? It seems fairly clear from the rating plates on the cabinets that while 250kW can be delivered to any one charging stall, each V3 cabinet has only 350kW max AC input at 480V (so probably less at 400V). There is then an 800V DC bus which can be used to link the cabinets together and/or to batteries or solar; this is labelled as accepting 575kW, so would give a total of 925kW - not quite enough to give 250kW on every output, but pretty close.

It seems likely that a site with a single V3 cabinet on its own is therefore limited to something around 80kW per stall on average - but with finer-grain sharing than V2, maybe completely arbitrary sharing.

Things I haven't seen any info on regarding UK sites:
  • Are they all with Tesla-owned transformer (hence 480V) or are some using existing local supplies and hence a lower voltage and so a lower total to be shared out?
  • Are Tesla using any of the inter-cabinet DC links in the UK? I haven't seen any sign of batteries or large-scale solar, but they could be linking the cabinets together so that the sharing is across the whole site rather than just groups of 4.
Tesla are pretty clear that the V3 power cabinets are 1MW. Each V3 cabinet feeds 4 stalls, so that should support 250kW simultaneously at all four stalls. Why do you think the cabinets are only 350kW?

They do say "250kW peak" though - I can quite imagine that the cooling isn't spec'd to run 1MW through the power cabinet continuously.

EDIT: Given that your figure of 80kW is approximately one third of the expected answer, I wonder if you (or someone whose calculations you were relying on) neglected to multiply by three when calculating three phase power? Scratch that, that doesn't make a lot of sense. - if you multiplied the phase-to-phase voltage by the phase current, you'd only be off by a factor of sqrt(3). Still, something doesn't seem right here.

EDIT: Ok, having reread what you wrote, I see you're saying that the cabinet is ~1MW, but only by combining the AC input with the DC bus. Very interesting indeed - if that's true then it sounds like the perceived wisdom of 250kW without any sharing is simply untrue.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any V3 sites in the UK that don't offer 250 kW max at all stalls.
Some of the older V2 Superchargers have different limits: in the UK I think it's either 130 kW or 150 kW (on top power sharing limitations between charger pairs) .
Did you have a reason for asking about Grays?
(It's academic for me as my MS70 can only achieve just over 100 kW - even then only briefly when fully warm and <10% SOC).
They do have sites with a mix of V2 and V3 superchargers, though. Park Royal springs to mind.

Attachments

• 20220321_164011.jpg
    20220321_164011.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 134
Or perhaps we could start with bombarding the shopping centre with emails asking them to enforce the "Tesla only" parking
Actually I am surprised they are no more proactive on this; could be easy money for Havering.

On a wider point how does this work out in the wild? I am new to Tesla ownership, is this a common problem and do other places fine/charge ICE vehicles that park in the bays?

I think it's pretty variable depending on what else is on the site, how much parking there is generally, where the supercharger bays are etc. For example at rugby there's loads of space and the EV charges are at the far end of the carpark from the services building - there's no incentive to park there if you're not charging. At some sites that are hotels etc. it's more variable. Not something I've come across a lot in the wild though.

You'd think between the sites that don't enforce at all & the ones that ANPR and fine people who were charging but didn't enter the reg correctly at hotel reception etc. there would be a happy medium

Reactions: JamesG601 and 94jdh
Or perhaps we could start with bombarding
Perhaps we don't need the bombardment just yet. I had this in a response from the Liberty centre manager:
Tesla have launched their changing bays on a 'soft launch' and we are working with them to try and iron out this exact point you have raised. I will ensure your feedback is passed to my contact at Tesla.

My apologies for these early teething issues which I hope to be resolved in the coming days.

• Helpful
Reactions: cezdoc
Some visible progress yesterday at the Trafford Centre - looks like the mains feed has been connected in the trench, and a couple of Tesla staff were working on the chargers:

View attachment 785098View attachment 785099

Good news: it looks like they were able to power up after making the connection: Manchester, UK - Trafford Centre reported live last night on TOUK and appearing on the Nav today.

2022-03-24 Trafford Nav Sm.jpg