Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022-03-25 Rownhams Canopy.jpg

Although Tesla removed their "coming soon" map marker for Rownhams last month, the project is very much in progress with a splendid solar canopy getting planning approval yesterday. The image above is taken from one of the planning docs on Test Valley Council's planning portal - ref 22/00430/FULLS.
Site plans now show 12 Supercharger stalls + 12 Gridserve rapid chargers (IIRC it was 12 + 10 on older plans).

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and arg
I don't get why they would do that. If Tesla opens it's superchargers to everyone, it has instantly lost its most unique selling point.

Unique selling point for what? Cars or energy? Tesla is pretty clear that it’s mission is to ‘accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy’. It doesn’t even mention cars. It shouldn’t be a surprise that it would want to widen access to superchargers. It would probably hinder its mission if it didn’t.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
if correct the fact that this is coming from a Govt. minister means the agreement to open is part of some sort of deal. I wonder what Tesla are getting in return for screwing its customers over.....
Access to new sites and power. We shouldn't be thinking about other cars using the existing network, maybe a few of the newer larger sites like shopping centers, but generally the network is going to grow far faster than it has before.

Otherwise we would be in a problem, Tesla's are growing fast and all the major opportunities for new sites will be gifted to competitors.

How long does it take for a super charger site to be identified, go through planning to being constructed? 12 months, 2 years?

I see things getting worse before they get better. On the plus side we'll have better choice of evs to choose from
People said the same when Model 3 sales ramped, "the network will never cope", but it just grew and is generally better now than before. There are exceptions, peak days and underserved locations, but its better than it was even 3 years ago.

I don't get why they would do that. If Tesla opens it's superchargers to everyone, it has instantly lost its most unique selling point.

They wouldn't have a choice, it's pretty clear legislation is already in place or will be soon to demand all EV chargers aren't brand specific.

What would happen if Shell only allowed VAG cars to refuel at their petrol stations? This is exactly what's happening at present with Superchargers.