Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🔥Ferrybridge Superchargers appear to be live. Photos of first car connected on TOUK with the tombstone Logos lit.
12x V3.

NICE.

I’m 430 miles up to East Yorkshire and back in 1 day on Saturday with no destination charging. This is in a great spot and greatly extends the first leg. The alternative was stopping at Shell Recharge/Instavolt outside Retford on the A1 which is too early. It makes getting back to the chargers at Grantham very easy.

Excellent news re: Ferrybridge. The lack of a Woodall North, the awkward locations in Leeds and the two-stall SC at Barnsley have always hampered the whole Yorkshire area for North-South trips, meaning I often have to stop way too early on my route in order to make it to Scotch Corner (in the winter). Ferrybridge changes all of that in both directions!

As an aside, despite the silly parking rules, Scotch Corner hotel staff are always lovely, the bar is a nice place for a coffee and they let you take your dog in with you while you charge. It also has a big lawn out the back so great for dog owners - I'll continue to use it when it's convenient.

Other action in that area - not necessarily Superchargers. Next to Scotch Corner and separate from the Designer Village (and its likely slow chargers):

https://documents.richmondshire.gov...c/pagestream?cd=inline&pdf=true&docno=1701584

It’s a new filling station, a couple of drive-throughs and chargers between, flavour unknown unless someone can divine more than me from that plan. There’s also a bunch of new chargers within the boundaries of the filling station on the south of the plan.

Local contact says old cafe on site currently being knocked-down in preparation.

Looks like one charger rectangle per two car spaces in all locations - which isn’t promising prima facie.

Reactions: Considered1
It’s a new filling station, a couple of drive-throughs and chargers between, flavour unknown unless someone can divine more than me from that plan. There’s also a bunch of new chargers within the boundaries of the filling station on the south of the plan.

Looks like one charger rectangle per two car spaces in all locations - which isn’t promising prima facie.

The accompanying documents say "36 electric vehicle charging spaces". On the plan, there's 8 clearly marked at the filling station and then another area at the side of the site with 31 spaces but only 26 shown with charging equipment; the "Transport Assessment" document clarifies that there are 8 in the corner, 2 more immediately next to the filling station kiosk with the disabled bays, and 26 in the other area. The "Design and Access statement" says that the area with the 26 spaces is the "principal" area for EV charging (but this is maybe just on the basis of size).

Possibly the 2 by the kiosk are meant to be disabled-use charging spaces, being adjacent to the disabled parking (though it doesn't actually say so).

The transport assessment also notes that "this includes high-speed electric charging".

It seems extremely likely that, if built today, those 8 spaces in the filling station would be rapid chargers; that would be consistent with what is being done at other petrol stations and motorway service areas. Having the whole lot as rapid would be an excessive provision for today, and some could be just AC chargepoints, though it doesn't really fit with the site use (unless they envisage people parking there and walking to the "designer village" opposite).

Possibly they envisage adding the charging gradually, though they might then get themselves in trouble with a planning permission that requires all the spaces to be active from day 1 (they are using the presence of EV charging to justify the development under planning policies, so it's likely to end up with a condition attached).

It's also not clear how soon this will get permission; one of the responses from Highways England puts a block on it until September pending resolution of planned changes to roads, and the local highways consultation response raises quite a number of points that will need resolving - and all of this is just for outline planning. So very unlikely to be built before 2023 at the earliest, I would say.

One interesting point in the highways consultation response is that they point out that the proposed charging facilities are only for cars, where charging for goods vehicles is also likely to be needed.

• Informative
Reactions: nufan and CMc1
Would love Tesla to get superchargers a but more local to me, In the Worcestershire area. The closest ones are about 15 miles away (I know not to far)but is about 20 mins.
The idea is that Superchargers are for rapid top ups when on long trips. You would expect to set off with plenty of battery so 100+ miles from home are where you need them! They are not really for local charging unless you are caught out.

Dropped my car off at the Winchester service centre this morning. Seems the big bank of v3 superchargers there is no longer coned off and is up and running!

20220408_080523.jpg

The idea is that Superchargers are for rapid top ups when on long trips. You would expect to set off with plenty of battery so 100+ miles from home are where you need them! They are not really for local charging unless you are caught out.
I don't think that's fair, there are several SuC sites that aren't really for travel top-ups but for regular charging for people that don't have home charging. Take Westfield White City, Uxbridge, or in fact most of the recently opened SuC at shopping centres.

Moaning about them being 15 minutes away is a bit funny though, I guess the ideal is having them within about a meter of where you regularly park.

I completely understand that. Maybe i didn't explain myself in the correct way.

There is a large gap between the closest superchargers in the area. For me, yes I could use one when nearly home so could top up and saves having doing it at home when coming back from a long journey.

But for others, would be great as adds in another convenient stop on the M5.

Reactions: spdpsba
I don't think that's fair, there are several SuC sites that aren't really for travel top-ups but for regular charging for people that don't have home charging. Take Westfield White City, Uxbridge, or in fact most of the recently opened SuC at shopping centres.

Moaning about them being 15 minutes away is a bit funny though, I guess the ideal is having them within about a meter of where you regularly park.
Pretty sure it wasn't a moan!

Was stating like everyone does. They want it to be more convenient for them. We all want the ideal for them.

Plenty of use cases for Superchargers/fast DC chargers when not on long trips, think of the amount of vehicles that do a large amount of miles in a small area delivery, emergency services, taxi etc and it gives people who live somewhere with no possibility of a home charger a realistic option for charging an EV.

Reactions: Leehank