Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was up at Adderstone on Friday evening and again Saturday morning and had decent charge both times. I could see other cars charging there at same time but it was no more than 3 out 6 chargers in use at what I would consider busy periods. Did not see any evidence of chargers not working and had a peak charge rate of 252 kW at the start of one of the charges so all good.

Based on previous comments from others, more knowledgeable than I about planning regulations, I expect the original planning permission was needed for adding a tarmac area where previously part of the gravel overflow car park existed. If the extra charging stalls are located within this tarmac area then it's likely that no new planning permission was needed for these (plus the additional power supply equipment).

They are now tarmac-ing a larger area than before - as detailed in the planning application, they tarmac-ed one side of the existing gravel carpark for the stalls themselves, leaving the other half available for turning but still gravel; now they are apparently doing the same on the other side (the tarmac isn't in yet but the curbs are and the ground looks like it has been prepared for tarmac) .

The original application did have some special consideration for trees immediately behind the existing stalls, and lighting to stop you hitting bollards on the way out (was that lighting ever installed?), so those could have been considerations.

Reactions: cezdoc
I was up at Adderstone on Friday evening and again Saturday morning and had decent charge both times. I could see other cars charging there at same time but it was no more than 3 out 6 chargers in use at what I would consider busy periods. Did not see any evidence of chargers not working and had a peak charge rate of 252 kW at the start of one of the charges so all good.
Chargers 2A, 2B and 2C were all out last time I tried Adderstone in February. Did you see anyone using those ones (furthest from the Purdy Lodge)?

Chargers 2A, 2B and 2C were all out last time I tried Adderstone in February. Did you see anyone using those ones (furthest from the Purdy Lodge)?

From what I read on here Adderstone appears to be the flakiest Supercharger site in the country ... and they are a relatively recent V3s ... which also makes me wonder why are V3 chargers paired? I thought they were independently capable of full throughput.

Reactions: McXtravert
No sign of superchargers at Moto Thurrock ?View attachment 791454
Just had a look at the planning docs for Moto Thurrock (there's a link in the "Under Construction" table in the wiki post). The photo is looking west, roughly where the bollards are marked on the map looking towards the mast compound (north is to the right on the map below).

1649687735063.png

As far as I can make out
  • The Gridserve rapids are occupying the area earmarked for Tesla charging stalls in the site plans;
  • There are more than 10 Gridserve rapids (site plans indicate 16 Tesla + 10 Ecotricity) (I count at least 12 including some on pallets in the background);
  • The charging cabinets in the background don't appear to be Tesla ones although they are similar in appearance.
I do wonder if Supercharger stalls will actually end up being installed here and the other Moto services that had a mix of Ecotricity and Tesla stalls on the plans. Construction is underway at Birch, Heston, Reading and Wetherby so I expect we'll find out before too long.

Reactions: CMc1
Didn't know Ferrybridge was active

Worth trying some what-if in ABetterRoutePlanner - if you aren't familiar with that.

when I got there as the only car I was getting only 30kw with a 30% battery and pre-conditioned.

Scotch Corner is oldschool, so if cars are paired (e.g. charging at both 1A and 1B stalls) then they will share power. If you know / think that is going to happen better to prevent pre-conditioning (navigate to "nearby" rather than to Supercharger). You'll get more charge when the car you are paired with leaves, but (give-or-take) by then the 30kW supercharging will have warmed your battery, and you won't have wasted some doing pre-conditioning on the way there.

I reckon worth charging at Ferrybridge to, say, 70% even if you don't really need it by then, particularly if stalls are showing as empty - its a new 250kW V3 site. You'll get fast charging, even if you Pair, you'll arrive fairly full at Scotch Corner (if you need it - e.g. to arrive with "spare" in Edinburgh), and if you wind up at Scotch Corner paired on 30kW that will be at the top end of your SOC anyway ...

All a bit geeky / and a lottery.

Can you charge in Edinburgh? Plug the Granny Charger into your hotel room and dangle it out of the window to the car below? Scavenge for a 13AMP socket in the car park normally used for the pressure washer?!! BTDTGTTS ...

From what I read on here Adderstone appears to be the flakiest Supercharger site in the country ... and they are a relatively recent V3s ... which also makes me wonder why are V3 chargers paired? I thought they were independently capable of full throughput.

See the discussion a couple of pages back - V3 are clearly grouped in fours with some measure of shared resources within the cabinet. For a site like Adderstone with 6 stalls it would have been logical to group them 3+3, but it may be that they were done 4 + 2. The comment above that 2A/2B/2C were failed together suggests a 3+3 arrangement.

While the sharing behaviour when fully functional seems clear, the units are modular inside and like the V2 there's obviously scope for continuing to operate with reduced capability when one or more of the modules are faulty. However, the mapping of modules to input and outputs are not obvious. Photos of the inside show 5 large modules and 8 smaller modules. A plausible guess might be that the 5 large modules relate to the AC input and so give about 70kW input per module, with the 8 small modules then being 2 per stall output, DC to DC at 125kW each.

If that guess is right (and that's a big _if_), you'd expect individual stalls to fail with either half or no output, then the group on the same cabinet (assuming no cabinet interlink) to fail with output decreasing in chunks of ~70kW, so you'd need more than one car charging at once to even notice a single duff module.

Winchester: So are the SCs definitely live now?

Its was added to Supercharger Info on 07-Apr.

Its on the Tesla Website but (as seems to be the case with new openings) the PIN is in the original "Somewhere near here" position, but the the address and "Driving Directions" shows the correct location (that matches the Supercharger Info MAP, although I doubt that is independent confirmation)

At some point the original PIN gets sorted out, dunno what process that takes and why the addition of the actual address etc. does sort that out at the same time.

SuperchargerWinchester.gif

No one has a definitive list because the rates have changed so much recently. In reality they are all (bar a few exceptions that are still 20-25p) 40-45p

Wether it’s 40p or 45p it’s makes no odds in reality, you are either going to use the charger because it’s in the right location or your not. The non-Tesla chargers are similarly priced or more expensive generally.

The chargers that are still cheap are in London (Heathrow, Park Royal)

Last edited: