Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Highest price I've seen so far, 45p/kW at Ferrybridge.
A quick search show all sites in UK (excluding NI) are £0.44-£0.46. Several site around London are £0.25p

And one site is based on TOU
88072FCD-DD5E-4D75-BD6A-DC6DB1731B39.jpeg

strange the website says its a flat rate at 49p?

Our Pricing​

We offer a simple flat-rate across our UK network of 49p per kWh, regardless of the payment method you choose. We offer contactless payment on every charger with no membership required, minimum spend or extra fees.

Local news are reporting that the Norwich Gridserve Electric Forecourt, which has some Tesla SuperChargers, has an opening date of 22nd April.

Opening Date
Local news are slightly out, its opening Thursday 21st. Evmonkey has been there every week for the last year with a report. His final build report shows the electronic sign outside advertising opening on Thursday.

Evmonkey Video

0.46/kwh at Grantham and Scotch Corner. Its putting me off using the bloody things.

Isn't pricing one of the easiest solutions to queuing/demand management?

We used Newport Pagnell at the weekend when going down to London. We actually didn't need to charge, but why pay for home charging when our car has 'free for life' SC?

What was noticeable was how many of the cars charging were older S/Xs, the 3s came and went, but the all S/Xs just sat there sucking up juice. You can be sure if I had to pay 45p/kWh I wouldn't be hogging a SC stall whilst the car is at 90% SOC and pulling energy at barely 20KW.

We are going to Cardiff this weekend, the car will do it none stop if I charge it up to 90%+, but I've already told the family we will be stopping at Birmingham. Why waste money charging the car when all we need is enough to get to the SC?

'Free' does crazy things to peoples behaviour!! If domestic electricity rates hit 40-50p/kWh this winter I will be visiting our local SC site ALOT!!

Last edited:
why pay for home charging when our car has 'free for life' SC?

Depends on how much someone values their time ...

What was noticeable was how many of the cars charging were older S/Xs

... and for that reason I never rush back to the car when it is ready-to-leave

'Free' does crazy things to peoples behaviour!!

I agree. I hate "free" for that reason. Cheap is much better, people then attach a value to it rather than abuse it.

"Free minutes" ... yeah, right :)

I have free supercharging, but with Octopus Go a £3 cup of coffee at the services costs the same as 40kWh of off peak charging. And the 7kW charging rate should be better for the battery, better for the grid and at a lower carbon intensity as it’s off peak.

So unless I (personally) need a stop anyway, I only supercharge when necessary.

In the early days, I did sometimes unnecessarily charge for free - for the novelty value - but after the novelty wore off I began to value getting home sooner more highly than the free electricity.

I have free supercharging, but with Octopus Go a £3 cup of coffee at the services costs

You mean you don't bring your own flask/thermus and than go and sip it whilst sitting in the services with 'free' heating :).

We also only really use the SCs when needed, but we tend to stop anyways on long trips as its usually to see the in-laws, so a 30 minute delay is hardly painful. DC rapid charging cost do seem to have gone from £0 (back in Ecotricity days) to been pretty much the same as our 50mpg (real life figure) post Toyota hybrid.

No one in their right mind would ever fill up at a M-way petrol station given they tend to be 10-20%+ more expensive than other petrol stations, I suspect EV DC rapid charging will quickly head that way as the car start to have the same range as combustion cars. Price has always been the easiest way to manage demand and Tesla could easily do this for busy SC sties - 70-80p/kWh will quickly see demand drop off, and reduce congestion.

No idea about SC costs in Europe though, I suspect we will get through 1000-1500kWh of electricity for the 2500+ miles road trip to Norway this summer, but if costs around 45-50p/kWh thats a 'saving' of £500+ in fuel costs which isn't insubstantial.

• Funny
Reactions: squarepeg77
Isn't pricing one of the easiest solutions to queuing/demand management?

We used Newport Pagnell at the weekend when going down to London. We actually didn't need to charge, but why pay for home charging when our car has 'free for life' SC?

What was noticeable was how many of the cars charging were older S/Xs, the 3s came and went, but the all S/Xs just sat there sucking up juice. You can be sure if I had to pay 45p/kWh I wouldn't be hogging a SC stall whilst the car is at 90% SOC and pulling energy at barely 20KW.

We are going to Cardiff this weekend, the car will do it none stop if I charge it up to 90%+, but I've already told the family we will be stopping at Birmingham. Why waste money charging the car when all we need is enough to get to the SC?

'Free' does crazy things to peoples behaviour!! If domestic electricity rates hit 40-50p/kWh this winter I will be visiting our local SC site ALOT!!
You get free SC? I don't, and what was costing me £7.50 from Essex to Stockton, is now cost me close to £13. Its gone up a lot since December. I know it sounds silly, its still saving us money compared to petrol but its frustrating the costs have gone up so quickly. Its making me not want to visit a SC unless I really need to.

I don’t know why you would want to visit a public charger unless you needed, to even if it was free. Sitting at a charger is boring and everyone should have better places to be.

There is a free Tesco pod point 10 min walk from my house and frankly I value my 10 mins more than the free electric I could get filling my car there than at home.

Reactions: Olibol
You get free SC?

Many/Most? MS / MX have free Supercharging, certainly all older ones (except the VERY old ones where "Free supercharger use" was an optional extra). newer ones for owners-ownership only, older ones for lifetime of the car and all future owners.

I don't, and what was costing me £7.50 from Essex to Stockton, is now cost me close to £13. Its gone up a lot since December. I know it sounds silly, its still saving us money compared to petrol but its frustrating the costs have gone up so quickly. Its making me not want to visit a SC unless I really need to.

You under 37 (and been to University) or 32 (left school at 18)?

If so you've not been thorough a recession, last one was 2008. Current inconvenience of SC cost increasing will pale into proper belt-tightening and all that goes with it if current inflation drives the world to recession (hard to imagine that it won't ...)

No one in their right mind would ever fill up at a M-way petrol station given they tend to be 10-20%+ more expensive than other petrol stations, I suspect EV DC rapid charging will quickly head that way as the car start to have the same range as combustion cars.

I can't see this happening any time soon. Batteries that truly match the range of combustion cars are either very big and expensive or still a technology change away. They'll probably be at the luxury end of the market for some time to come Most of us will buy cars with smaller batteries and rapid charge when we need to. That model will probably make financial sense to most people whatever happens to battery size or technology. There will need to be hundreds of DC charging stations at every motorway services to meet demand.

If they could just get EVs to do 300 actual miles on motorways (with some spare), then in the UK at least there would be far less need to use the chargers. I think this is probably doable without a step-change in tech.
For an M3 LR its already doable. Its about 250wh/mile. I came back from Cornwall last year and averaged 240. and that is a 2019. model.
but that was ideal weather and moderate traffic which kept my average speed down a bit.
Doing it comfortably while cruising at 70+ in winter in the rain with a head wind that is the trick. Mine would be lucky to get 200 then. Mind you days like that tend not to the the busy ones at the chargers.
Not sure we are far off that though. MS with the 100kwh pack could probably do it in most conditions. 2022 M3 LR is probably too far away either.
we are a long way from all EV's being able to do that though