Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they could just get EVs to do 300 actual miles on motorways (with some spare),

My MS LR will do that - just - summer temperature, no rain.

MS with the 100kwh pack could probably do it in most conditions

I need "ideal conditions", but yeah.

I came back from Cornwall last year and averaged 240

I don't think that is doable at constant 70 MPH in M3 ...

Either way, with any of them, leaving at 100% you need to charge at around 10% for contingency. If I only need to arrive at destination (charging available) then I'd be happy to run it lower than that, I can always slow down for the last few miles if necessary ... but for a public charger I would want to assume it might be bust and I need just enough to find something / anything!! else

So 90% of absolutely max range at 70MPH for a single/first leg. And if a 2+ leg then I only really want to charge to 80%, and refuel at 10%, so that's only 70% of max range for those continuation-legs.

I tried home-to-Edinburgh (380 miles) in ABetterRoutePlanner - not all motorway at 70 MPH of course, so just to compare how much charging would be needed

2019 MS LR Supercharge 28 minutes (23% - 74%)
2021 MY LR Supercharge twice - 24 mins (21-81%) and 12 minutes (10% - 54%)
2021 M3 LR 82 kWh Supercharge 39 minutes (30% - 97%) [I presume that is better than 2-stops]
2021 MS Plaid Supercharge 34 minutes :( (12% - 82%)

(All assuming most Eco wheels)

My MS LR will do that - just - summer temperature, no rain.

I need "ideal conditions", but yeah.

I don't think that is doable at constant 70 MPH in M3 ...

Either way, with any of them, leaving at 100% you need to charge at around 10% for contingency. If I only need to arrive at destination (charging available) then I'd be happy to run it lower than that, I can always slow down for the last few miles if necessary ... but for a public charger I would want to assume it might be bust and I need just enough to find something / anything!! else

So 90% of absolutely max range at 70MPH for a single/first leg. And if a 2+ leg then I only really want to charge to 80%, and refuel at 10%, so that's only 70% of max range for those continuation-legs.

I tried home-to-Edinburgh (380 miles) in ABetterRoutePlanner - not all motorway at 70 MPH of course, so just to compare how much charging would be needed

2019 MS LR Supercharge 28 minutes (23% - 74%)
2021 MY LR Supercharge twice - 24 mins (21-81%) and 12 minutes (10% - 54%)
2021 M3 LR 82 kWh Supercharge 39 minutes (30% - 97%) [I presume that is better than 2-stops]
2021 MS Plaid Supercharge 34 minutes :( (12% - 82%)

(All assuming most Eco wheels)
I do most long journeys on the motorway at 240. I normally do 67mph on autopilot. This weekend I went 500 miles at 220.

Many/Most? MS / MX have free Supercharging, certainly all older ones (except the VERY old ones where "Free supercharger use" was an optional extra). newer ones for owners-ownership only, older ones for lifetime of the car and all future owners.

You under 37 (and been to University) or 32 (left school at 18)?

If so you've not been thorough a recession, last one was 2008. Current inconvenience of SC cost increasing will pale into proper belt-tightening and all that goes with it if current inflation drives the world to recession (hard to imagine that it won't ...)
I'm 41 and been to Uni, sold my first house during 2008 so I know all about that. I've just cancelled Netflix and Disney this week because of belt tightening lol. I'm just saying if costs keep going up then its going to be frustrating for those like me, who bought to and EV to save money in the long run.

Three years of driving EVs has taught me that efficiency, speed of charging, and good availability of ultra fast charging are more important than absolute range. It all points to cars with moderate-sized batteries that are more affordable and fit well with the routine stops you make on a longer journey. EVs don't need to do more than 200 miles but they do need to be more affordable for greater take-up.

I've just cancelled Netflix and Disney this week because of belt tightening

Sorry to hear that :(

I do most long journeys on the motorway at 240

Is that the M3 SR+ in your footer? I just wonder if the reduced weight makes that better than a LR would be (at that speed)?

efficiency, speed of charging, and good availability of ultra fast charging are more important than absolute range

Interesting to watch Bjorn's videos, in Norway. He can stop and charge at so many places that that convenience is different to where we are currently at in UK changing infrastructure. I agree, with decent charging infrastructure, the need for bigger battery will be a lot less.

Three years of driving EVs has taught me that efficiency, speed of charging, and good availability of ultra fast charging are more important than absolute range. It all points to cars with moderate-sized batteries that are more affordable and fit well with the routine stops you make on a longer journey. EVs don't need to do more than 200 miles but they do need to be more affordable for greater take-up.
But they actually do need to do a min of 200 miles all year round starting at 90% max and arriving at SUC with 10% plus. Anything less becomes inconvenient without a huge increase in ultra fast chargers like Norway.

If so you've not been thorough a recession, last one was 2008. Current inconvenience of SC cost increasing will pale into proper belt-tightening and all that goes with it if current inflation drives the world to recession (hard to imagine that it won't ...)
I can't see how it won't, particularly with most utility contracts including inflation + percentage increases baked in, which will further cement the problem.

Having said that perhaps it wouldn't kill Tesla to take some of the £2,000,000,000 profit that they made this quarter and subsidise charging for a few months.

Sorry to hear that :(

Is that the M3 SR+ in your footer? I just wonder if the reduced weight makes that better than a LR would be (at that speed)?

Interesting to watch Bjorn's videos, in Norway. He can stop and charge at so many places that that convenience is different to where we are currently at in UK changing infrastructure. I agree, with decent charging infrastructure, the need for bigger battery will be a lot less.
Yes its the Dec'21 M3 so just rear drive. Was getting 270 range at the weekend and we were close to hitting it while doing 67mph on the motorway. I didn't want to risk it so we charged a little on the way up while we had a break. 240 though is definitely possible at that speed.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Was getting 270 range at the weekend and we were close to hitting it while doing 67mph on the motorway

I redid my ABetterRoutePlanner comparing M3 LR and SR+ - it gave me identical 294 Wh/mile for the trip for both. I'm surprised because I would have expected the SR+ to need more charging stops, but to have better wH/mile ... maybe not enough data for ABRP to have optimised for specific model

2021 M3 LR 82 kWh Supercharge 39 minutes (30% - 97%) 111.3 kWh 294 Wh/mile - 363 miles
2021 M3 SR Supercharge 3x 28 mins (34%-89%), 17 mins (10%-66%), 17 mins (10%-65%) 119.1 kWh 294 Wh/mile - 389 miles

EDIT: ABRP has a 2nd 2021 M3 LR listed (ie.. not the 82 kWh) and that has:

2021 M3 LR NOT-82 kWh Supercharge 2x 19 mins (26%-76%), 11 mins (10%-52%) 122.2 kWh 303 Wh/mile - 388 miles

So maybe the 82kW doesn't have enough data and "estimated", and that is the correct Wh/mile difference (for LR/SR+ weight difference) ... but that's just 9 wH/mile i.e. 3% more, not very significant.

PS I have ABRP set to "10% over" on speed. So in principle 77 MPH where it considers the road will be clear :)

Max speed set to 67 then ABRP says SR+ Wh/mile is 269 - seems like a match for your actual :) Reduces total charging from 62 mins to 50 mins

I redid my ABetterRoutePlanner comparing M3 LR and SR+ - it gave me identical 294 Wh/mile for the trip for both. I'm surprised because I would have expected the SR+ to need more charging stops, but to have better wH/mile ... maybe not enough data for ABRP to have optimised for specific model

2021 M3 LR 82 kWh Supercharge 39 minutes (30% - 97%) 111.3 kWh 294 Wh/mile - 363 miles
2021 M3 SR Supercharge 3x 28 mins (34%-89%), 17 mins (10%-66%), 17 mins (10%-65%) 119.1 kWh 294 Wh/mile - 389 miles

2021 M3 LR NOT-82 kWh Supercharge 2x 19 mins (26%-76%), 11 mins (10%-52%) 122.2 kWh 303 Wh/mile - 388 miles

So maybe the 82kW doesn't have enough data and "estimated", and that is the correct Wh/mile difference (for LR/SR+ weight difference) ... but that's just 9 wH/mile i.e. 3% more, not very significant.

PS I have ABRP set to "10% over" on speed. So in principle 77 MPH where it considers the road will be clear :)

Max speed set to 67 then ABRP says SR+ Wh/mile is 269 - seems like a match for your actual :) Reduces total charging from 62 mins to 50 mins
ABRP used to show the LFP SR+ as beta

East of Norwich is such a dumb location. West of Norwich makes much more sense. Norwich is the most likely destination in Norfolk and most people will be coming from North, West or South.
Apparently, they are planning on one to the East of Hull too. There's not much to the East of Hull.

Very strange. When I used ABRP I found it totally incorrect and was overestimating how much the car would arrive with and how much to charge. It was using the Dec'21 beta one and had it set at 70mph. I found it was working ok a few months ago, but now I can't rely on it and I just use the car. maybe I need to reset everything to get it right.

Very strange. When I used ABRP I found it totally incorrect and was overestimating how much the car would arrive with and how much to charge. It was using the Dec'21 beta one and had it set at 70mph. I found it was working ok a few months ago, but now I can't rely on it and I just use the car. maybe I need to reset everything to get it right.
I have given up with the app, I just use it for a rough idea.
Since the car supposedly alters stop according to SC availability and your average usage. Plus now the car lets you add stops, the problem with ABRP was there was no way to send the routes to the car, so it was no better than using your phone and sending a location to the tesla app.