Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
East of Norwich is such a dumb location. West of Norwich makes much more sense. Norwich is the most likely destination in Norfolk and most people will be coming from North, West or South.
Apparently, they are planning on one to the East of Hull too. There's not much to the East of Hull.

I don’t think east of Norwhich is a dumb location. I don’t think west of Norwich makes much sense unless you mean on the junction with the A11. I agree that could have been a better location if your traveling to Norwich but that’s more south than west though and doesn’t really consider the bigger picture.

I wouldn’t have thought Norwich is the intended destination either for a lot of people, it’s more about unlocking the north and east of Norfolk for people coming up from the south. If Norwich was the intended destination then I’d have thought a load of destination chargers in the city would have been a better use of time and money.

Isn’t there also a huge business district off that roundabout with lots of people traveling up there for that reason.

At the end of the day, I’m sure they did their market research for the best spot.

🔥Orpington Supercharger site is well underway. 20x V3. Site status is that 5x cabinets are delivered and on site, ducting and cables present too, and some digging has already begun. Ruxley Manor garden centre, DA14 5BQ
Very impressive - set to be the largest V3 Supercharger in the UK (so far) when it opens.

Ruxley Manor appear to take sustainability very seriously so the Supercharger is a nice fit (and very apt to hear about this on Earth Day!). Some public-domain info is in this Facebook post from the garden centre. Based on that info and some discussion from a few weeks ago on TOUK (which I just found) the stalls will be located at approx (51.413000, 0.134300).

Reactions: CMc1
Very impressive - set to be the largest V3 Supercharger in the UK (so far) when it opens.

Ruxley Manor appear to take sustainability very seriously so the Supercharger is a nice fit (and very apt to hear about this on Earth Day!). Some public-domain info is in this Facebook post from the garden centre. Based on that info and some discussion from a few weeks ago on TOUK (which I just found) the stalls will be located at approx (51.413000, 0.134300).
Correction, based on latest photos on TOUK I'd move the pin slightly within the same car park to neighbouring row at (51.412800, 0.134300)

Reactions: CMc1
I don’t think east of Norwhich is a dumb location. I don’t think west of Norwich makes much sense unless you mean on the junction with the A11. I agree that could have been a better location if your traveling to Norwich but that’s more south than west though and doesn’t really consider the bigger picture.

I wouldn’t have thought Norwich is the intended destination either for a lot of people, it’s more about unlocking the north and east of Norfolk for people coming up from the south. If Norwich was the intended destination then I’d have thought a load of destination chargers in the city would have been a better use of time and money.

Isn’t there also a huge business district off that roundabout with lots of people traveling up there for that reason.

At the end of the day, I’m sure they did their market research for the best spot.
Couldn't agree more! Also the broadbands for the holiday makers going east. if they needed to head west, the kings Lynn charger is in a reachable distance.

Reactions: Olibol and browellm
When I go to Norwich for the football, we find that parking and getting away is a nightmare as a lot of traffic is heading west so it makes sense to head east, despite us travelling to/from the North West.

We avoid the obvious route in/out and go to where the Gridserve site is and park just off the road from there into Norwich. On the way back we head towards Gridserve and get back onto the dual carriageway there and it’s pretty painless.

I was looking forward to calling in, but it may be in a few years as it looks like Norwich are getting relegated.

East of Norwich is such a dumb location. West of Norwich makes much more sense. Norwich is the most likely destination in Norfolk and most people will be coming from North, West or South.
Apparently, they are planning on one to the East of Hull too. There's not much to the East of Hull.
What’s the source for the plans?
East of Hull doesn’t make sense for domestic UK, however, it would most likely be for the port - EU inbound/outbound traffic.

Alex Rogers on TOUK has posted quotes from a DNO employee saying that a huge new substation is going in at Exeter Services to power 13x GridServe and 11x SuperchargeRS. Great news!
Compound for the substation has been built and the hardware is being craned in soon.
I always get a bit excited over posts like this … even when I remember it’s over 400 miles away!

Thats where you need them - hundreds of miles away

(says he from his hotel room at Scotch Corner where when I arrived here at 5.30pm today found all SC bays empty!)
Wow its never empty when I go there , managed to dodge Scotch Corner this trip now I have a LR , been there 2 times and ether full or badly parked cars meant you could not charge.

Came back from Immingham to Aberdeen on Friday and the traffic was going slow .. possibly saving fuel ? Original routing included Scotch Corner but ended up at Adderstone took a longer charger ... coffee and food and could have made it home but I stopped at Dundee just to have a break for 10 min

Managed about 4.4 Mil/kWh, last but was faster as not much traffic

Alex Rogers on TOUK has posted quotes from a DNO employee saying that a huge new substation is going in at Exeter Services to power 13x GridServe and 11x SuperchargeRS. Great news!
Compound for the substation has been built and the hardware is being craned in soon.
Gridserve have recently installed an Electric Hub at Moto Exeter with 12 high power ("up to 350 kW") chargers - this went live at the end of March.
Their press release talks about capacity to expand to 24 high power chargers - presumably this, plus the addition of Tesla chargers, awaits the power supply upgrade.
I speculate that Gridserve are getting priority ahead of Tesla at Moto sites where both are looking to expand charging provision but there isn't sufficient power. It would make sense to put in universal chargers and then wait for power upgrades before adding Tesla stalls/expanding further, and it does appear that a number of the joint Gridserve/Tesla sites (identified from planning applications) have initially started with groundworks for Gridserve only.

Norwich Gridserve now on the Nav - official name Norwich, UK - East. Hopefully the "East" label is an indication that a second Norwich supercharger at the Service Centre is in the pipline...

2022-04-27 Norwich E Nav Sm.jpg

Reactions: CMc1 and browellm