Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has already been posted but having used it twice in the last couple of weeks, the charging at Notts Victoria Shopping is great... but also has it's frustrations.

I've been mid-week for work travelling up from north London and the location was perfect for me. When dropping in the morning and picking up at lunch, the stalls have been completely empty. In addition to SCs (about 12) there are also a load of BP Pulse chargers too.

You get two hours complementary parking when you show your app or proof of car at the ticket machine.

All good so far... here are my gripes.

As you can't leave hooked up or you get charged, I found myself having the option of either leaving earlier from home to get there and charge immediately before moving the car to a parking space. Or heading back to the car and sitting in while charging (incurring additional parking charges). The latter has the additional problem of not being pre-conditioned before the charge, which means a lower charge rate (think it was about 40kwh).

So fantastic set-up but not convenient if you want to leave your car charging until you finish whatever you're doing and head straight off. Oh and one last thing, exiting the card park has some very tight corners going up ramps that have curbs that are very alloy unfriendly!

IMG_20220427_122855.jpg
IMG_20220427_081508.jpg
IMG_20220427_081359.jpg
IMG_20220427_123510.jpg

That's useful info because I'd seen the shopping centre's website and the way it was worded I thought the 2 hours of complimentary parking was a one-off introductory offer the first time you parked there.

But you've also highligted perfectly why Superchargers aren't ideal for this type of shopping centre - they're too fast and idle fees are at odds with the experience.

And yes, the corners are brutal in that car park.

I just had a look at Tesla's Supercharger map to see if Norwich East has been added (it hasn't) but there's been a major refresh of their "Coming Soon" markers. No time to go through them just now but some intriguing additions plus a few removals. Those of us north of the border will be heartened to see a few new pins for Scotland, although we know that whatever the grey markers say, nothing is guaranteed until there's some lit tombstones on site.

1651163078281.png

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
I just had a look at Tesla's Supercharger map to see if Norwich East has been added (it hasn't) but there's been a major refresh of their "Coming Soon" markers. No time to go through them just now but some intriguing additions plus a few removals. Those of us north of the border will be heartened to see a few new pins for Scotland, although we know that whatever the grey markers say, nothing is guaranteed until there's some lit tombstones on site.

View attachment 798447
you are right. I see south wales is getting 3 new sites. shame about the massive hole in the middle still and the north west ( may be power related I heard) but its still progress.

Reactions: cezdoc

View attachment 798447
There’s now 2 new pins near myself, Newark (A46/A1) and Sheffield which is directly over Meadowhall shopping centre!

I don't think they have ever accounted for much ... has that changed?
I'd need to check but I have an idea that last year about half of the new site openings related to a map marker although a fair proportion of those were added after site locations had already been identified (and noted here and elsewhere) from planning/construction. There always seem to be a few examples where an unheralded site appears near a marker (e.g. from memory I think Aberystwyth, Ferrybridge & Winchester all had markers before any planning or construction was spotted).

Newport is an interesting addition as it's just appeared and the target opening is this quarter. But the flip side is that Leeds West was added in February with a Q1 2022 target and now it's disappeared...

So I find these update interesting to follow although given the uncertainty about location, timing and whether anything will materialise at all I think it's fair to argue they don't "account for much", especially if looking for reliable information :)

Strangely Swansea now has two markers both in the city centre. I know Swansea quite well and neither seem likely to be very accurate to me.

1651220096370.png

There is a retail park in that gap between the roads marked "Plantasia" and "A4067" that would be an OK location but unusually city centre so I am guessing these are very high level markers and it may not be that close to either

Strangely Swansea now has two markers both in the city centre. I know Swansea quite well and neither seem likely to be very accurate to me.

View attachment 798734

There is a retail park in that gap between the roads marked "Plantasia" and "A4067" that would be an OK location but unusually city centre so I am guessing these are very high level markers and it may not be that close to either
Yes I noticed this, as another regular visitor to the area. But if Swansea City Council are involved all sorts of crazy stuff could be in the pipeline 🤪

I'd need to check but I have an idea that last year about half of the new site openings related to a map marker

Once upon a time I did keep images of "proposed" and compared how they evolved over time ...

I posted this in August 2019

teslasc2019_uk_aug_2016change-jpg.448362

The BLUE dots were sites that had been previous promised and subsequently disappeared from the map

The PINK for sites that had been "coming soon" for more than 2 years! ...

And GREEN was recently added (without previous indication)

GREY the (at that time) current coming-soon and RED was open, at that time.

... 3 years later I see that Galway and Dublin, and Brighton are still in that boat. Enfield opened only recently

But maybe Aspiration better matches Achievement nowadays ... (Rhetorical!)

April 2022
TeslaSC_Apr2022.gif

Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
The idea is that Superchargers are for rapid top ups when on long trips. You would expect to set off with plenty of battery so 100+ miles from home are where you need them! They are not really for local charging unless you are caught out.
This is my take too. Hence why I live in West London and complain about the absolute wealth of chargers near me! I don't need them in a place were I get fuel for "free" in my apartment. It's a strange thing but it's really best to complain about a lack of superchargers 200/400/600 miles form your house!

Reactions: phil4

Brighton has also split the long-standing marker into "Brighton" and "Brighton Station" with only the latter having a concrete target date (and the "Brighton" marker is positioned close to the station while "Brighton station" is a mile or so up the road!).

So at best limited accuracy in this info.

Maybe it's intended to mean "we've got one Brighton site actively on the go, but recognize the need for more than one in the long term" - specially if the original intent was to serve through traffic on the A27 while the one actually being built is a city-centre location serving different purposes.

The double marker at Swansea could be similar.

Last edited:
Summary of changes in UK shown below (based on yesterday's website update).
18 new markers, 7 removed, and of the remainder 13 have been pushed later.

In the ROI, Dublin Sandyford has changed from Q1 to Q2 2022 and a new North Dublin pin (target Q4 2022) has been added.

View attachment 798739
I can't believe Milton Keynes has been removed! I'm sure it has the largest amount of Teslas outside of London 😐