Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just had a look at the sites it says are open to all and it’s the vast majority.

They include some extremely busy chargers:
South Mimms
Bishop Stortford

They also include some at service centres:
Colchester

They don’t include some big sites which in my experience have spare capacity:
Grantham
Ferrybridge

It’s also good to see some more chargers going in on the A14 at Ipswich. Incredibly busy trunk road and a bit of a charging desert at the moment.

Until recently, the only high powered chargers were at rugby services at one end and at Ionity at Cambridge services which in my experience is rammed at peak times.

That said Osprey have bested Tesla to it and just opened up a 6 stall Kempower site (150kw max) a couple of junctions down the road at the junction with the A12.

The proposed Tesla site (Anglia retail park) is decent with plenty of space. There is a Burger King, KFC, Tim Hortan’s in the retail park and a 24/7 Asda and McDonalds just over the road.

Reactions: Fezza and Sean.
Has anyone seen Supercharger prices falling, or is Tesla now pocketing the government subsidies?

It’s weird how all big companies seem to start with a “don’t be evil” and “don’t abuse the customer” philosophy, and then throw it all out of the window when they’re established in the market.

Has anyone seen Supercharger prices falling, or is Tesla now pocketing the government subsidies?

It’s weird how all big companies seem to start with a “don’t be evil” and “don’t abuse the customer” philosophy, and then throw it all out of the window when they’re established in the market.
Do you mean the £65Bn or so ‘emergency energy price cap’?

Have they really opened up all these sites to non-Tesla EV's?
2022-10-07 11_32_04-Clipboard.jpg

Edit: No wonder used Tesla prices are dropping!

At the moment I don't appear to be seeing the same listing (I did try to force a refresh on my browser).

I do see a couple of minor changes including two Brighton markers but they are both still at the railway station. In the UK text listing (rather than the map) one marker says "Adur" for the address which, I gather, relates to Shoreham-by-Sea. But nothing hinting at the Marina.

There's also a duplicate Taunton marker; conversely the Leavesden and Watford markers have disappeared but apart from that the other Coming Soon markers appear unchanged for me at least. I see the newly opened London - Sidcup Supercharger is now called Ruxley.

However, at time of writing the web listing is a bit of a mess: some Service Express entries are included (they shouldn't be on the Supercharger listings) and many of the addresses are missing or wrong (last time I checked, Oxford wasn't on the M74 in Scotland although I suppose Abington and Abingdon are only one letter different :rolleyes:). Maybe it's in the process of being updated and will settle down in a day or two.

View attachment 860773
Tesla's website listing of UK superchargers is still a bit of a dog's dinner, with duplicates, missing pins, incorrect addresses and some service centres included which don't have superchargers on site. On the other hand, some long-standing errors have been corrected (e.g. number of stalls/max power at Inverness, Hilton Park Northbound and Cribbs Causeway; Belfast (coming soon) is back on the UK list - for a while it was listed under Ireland).

Current state of play
Markers for live sites missing from listing but still on map: Adderstone, Winchester SC (the latter appears under the Tesla Centre Winchester entry). Reading Katesgrove is also missing; the Service Centre details don't mention charging.
Coming Soon markers removed: Leavesden, Watford.
Coming Soon markers removed from listing but still on map: Bristol East, Cardiff, London Colney, Newcastle - North East.
Coming Soon marker reinstated: Heathrow.
New, duplicate/twin Coming Soon markers: Brighton (Adur), Guildford, Taunton

Target dates haven't, yet, been changed or updated as far as I can tell.

I’ve just had a look at the sites it says are open to all and it’s the vast majority.

They include some extremely busy chargers:
South Mimms
Bishop Stortford

They also include some at service centres:
Colchester

They don’t include some big sites which in my experience have spare capacity:
Grantham
Ferrybridge

It’s also good to see some more chargers going in on the A14 at Ipswich. Incredibly busy trunk road and a bit of a charging desert at the moment.

Until recently, the only high powered chargers were at rugby services at one end and at Ionity at Cambridge services which in my experience is rammed at peak times.

That said Osprey have bested Tesla to it and just opened up a 6 stall Kempower site (150kw max) a couple of junctions down the road at the junction with the A12.

The proposed Tesla site (Anglia retail park) is decent with plenty of space. There is a Burger King, KFC, Tim Hortan’s in the retail park and a 24/7 Asda and McDonalds just over the road.

I love that osprey site, especially using the bonnet app and not paying £1/kw! Always quiet and the speeds aren’t too bad either. That and the Tesco pod points are basically my local chargers!

I love that osprey site, especially using the bonnet app and not paying £1/kw! Always quiet and the speeds aren’t too bad either. That and the Tesco pod points are basically my local chargers!
I’m never one to shy away from a free charger but my local charger is about 6ft from my front door :D

I go to that Tesco a lot but I’ve never been minded to even go and look at the rapids round the corner. To be honest, I can’t really see me using either site as they are so close to home, I’d needed to have made mistake and be heading home on less than 5% to warrant a stop.

I’m never one to shy away from a free charger but my local charger is about 6ft from my front door :D

I go to that Tesco a lot but I’ve never been minded to even go and look at the rapids round the corner. To be honest, I can’t really see me using either site as they are so close to home, I’d needed to have made mistake and be heading home on less than 5% to warrant a stop.

I’m yet to have a 7kw home charger put in (don’t ask!) so for me, arriving home with 10% after a long day won’t work with the granny charger, so I find the osprey site handy on occasion. Also why it’s handy to get a quick top up at Tesco if I’m going there anyway :)

I’m yet to have a 7kw home charger put in (don’t ask!) so for me, arriving home with 10% after a long day won’t work with the granny charger, so I find the osprey site handy on occasion. Also why it’s handy to get a quick top up at Tesco if I’m going there anyway :)
You could get one of those caravan charger sockets put in at home as a stopgap - it still uses the granny charger but does it a bit faster than a three pin plug, and the sockets are only about £15 to buy online, plus an electrician to wire it up, which is less than an hour's job.

Reactions: Fezza
I notice the list of superchargers open to the wider public has gone back to where it was i.e, the current correct list

1665404497073.png

So the question is what was the temporary update? It was not all so it was not just a glitch. It was a specific list, so the next phase I assume but one that was not supposed to be revealed yet. It contained what appear to be some pretty busy sites like Woodall south that will start to lead to unhappy Tesla drivers when it does get implemented. I wonder how long we have.......

GRIDSERVE have opened consulation from Hartlepool Forecourt... shows four Tesla Superchargers in background.

Whelly Hill Farm

1665406863465.png

I notice the list of superchargers open to the wider public has gone back to where it was i.e, the current correct list

View attachment 861958

So the question is what was the temporary update? It was not all so it was not just a glitch. It was a specific list, so the next phase I assume but one that was not supposed to be revealed yet. It contained what appear to be some pretty busy sites like Woodall south that will start to lead to unhappy Tesla drivers when it does get implemented. I wonder how long we have.......

I was at Moto Rugby yesterday, all 12 Tesla chargers filled up with 2 Teslas waiting. Luckily the 2nd car arrived only shortly before we left so hopefully didn't have long to wait for the next departure.

Utter chaos up by the Gridserve chargers though - looked like an EV meet up, Porche, Jag, EV6, ID4, etc - but in reality everyone queuing for the chargers. Comment on ZapMap explains why. I felt sorry for all those non-Teslas waiting, and a bit sheepish driving past them after a quick 20 min stop, the drivers were looking very unhappy. If the anti-EV brigade had witnessed it they would be feeling very smug indeed.

1665411752695.png

Can you imagine these busy Tesla sites being opened to all EVs, as I think appeared in the earlier map. My decision to 'go electric' was partly influenced by the reliable and available Tesla supercharging infrastructure. I would not have purchased an EV if I had witnessed that Gridserve fiasco and assumed it was the norm. I know if I had a non-tesla and needed to charge I would always aim for Tesla chargers if they were available, even if there were dearer\slower. Other charging providers need to get their act together, and Tesla need to build more sites and hold off opening up to everybody any sites they can see are busy.

Reactions: M1tch
I was at Rugby today. Quite a few people kept pulling into the Tesla bays to try their luck. As usual all the Tesla folk were lined up in every other bay. There were still a few available when I left.

GS have a right mess at Rugby. Waiting for parts and one charger has been knocked over somehow. I think the charger manufacturer is supposedly fixing the faulty ones under warranty and GS were waiting for them.

Supposedly they were going to be fixed on Friday but it got pushed to today.