Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any photos please so I can update relevant sites?
Here you go, credit to local owners group, exact location of the stalls is 54°35'00.1"N 5°57'38.3"W

311738198_10160386176972433_1040125810064241788_n.jpg
311978268_10160386176542433_8131456096082670963_n.jpg

Here you go, credit to local owners group, exact location of the stalls is 54°35'00.1"N 5°57'38.3"W

View attachment 868411View attachment 868412
Gosh is that the same hotel where Tesla used to conduct test drives on the original Model S - I guess it was 2014 or so?

They had no physical ‘bricks and mortar’ *anything* in this country - just a dude who lived in that Model S…

Edit - just checked my diary. Nope - the early doors test drives were at the Marriott. A few minutes walk up the road. It was 12 December 2013 - and we didn’t end up buying one then. A few years later though :)

Last edited:
There's something afoot at Hopwood Park with fencing up and 'stuff' around here.

My sleuthing skills aren't very good and so I can't find any planning documents. Given the 'far corner' location, my guess would be chargers. Can't guess who though.

David
welcome break are rolling out their own Alpitronic 150 kW chargers across their sites, so likely those

Reactions: adsheff
welcome break are rolling out their own Alpitronic 150 kW chargers across their sites, so likely those
That’s a shame. The Applegreen (WB‘s parent company) charging points at South Mimms services don’t have a very good reputation at the moment, frequently out of order. They do have access to 350 kW chargers, but I don’t know if they have appeared in the mainland UK yet.

I went to Cumbria for a funeral on Thursday. Called at Warwick for first top up. Said 2 spaces available. By the time I got through the traffic to the tombstones there were none available and I was third in the queue (11am ). Went on to Hilton which always has spaces and was not disappointed. a 100% charge allowed me to get to Tebay. All tombstones occupied and 4 waiting! These need expanded (plenty of space) and upgraded to V3. After all theirs is the only supercharger in the whole of the Lake District, ridiculous when you consider the number of tourist every day of the year.
Returning on Friday evening, I stopped at Tebay again only in a queue of 3 this time. Typical Friday traffic my research informed me that there was little point heading down the M6 so I crossed to the A1(M) to go to Ferry Bridge. At last a sensible number of V3s, only about 2/3rds occupied. Very quick refill took me to Surrey and home. 7 hours going North on Thursday, 7 hours coming back on Friday.
30 years ago I used to do the same trip in 4 hours on one tank of Diesel on much worse roads. The traffic is ridiculous, the continuous road maintenance is ridiculous.

So, just stopped at the Colchester (Marks Tey) SC right now. It is in the car park of a tired old hotel where you used to be able to get a coffee and go to the loo.

I walked up to the front door, walked in and got accosted by a concierge asking me what I wanted. I said a coffee and the loo. NOT ALLOWED he said and pushed me out of the door.

Best Western Marks Tey hotel (maybe worst western).

Just something to bear in mind if you want to charge here. Zero facilities.

So, just stopped at the Colchester (Marks Tey) SC right now. It is in the car park of a tired old hotel where you used to be able to get a coffee and go to the loo.

I walked up to the front door, walked in and got accosted by a concierge asking me what I wanted. I said a coffee and the loo. NOT ALLOWED he said and pushed me out of the door.

Note on the hotel website, presumably why they were so brusque.
We would like to advise that the Hotel is temporary closed for exclusive use. If you would like to contact the team about a booking please contact [[email protected]] and for events [[email protected]].

It’s now a temporary refugee / asylum centre. I believe the DoubleTree adjacent to Wokingham SC is functioning as the same.
Obviously a bit of an inconvenience to SC users, but I can see why they wish to limit access to the hotel.
I haven’t checked the in-car SC info to see if the reduction in nearby facilities has been noted.

• Informative
Reactions: arg
It’s now a temporary refugee / asylum centre. I believe the DoubleTree adjacent to Wokingham SC is functioning as the same.
Obviously a bit of an inconvenience to SC users, but I can see why they wish to limit access to the hotel.
I haven’t checked the in-car SC info to see if the reduction in nearby facilities has been noted.
At least the refugees can charge their Teslas while they're there. Not all bad news then.

• Funny
Reactions: arg
Abington update. There are now 8 bases installed (non-Tesla). They are on the end four bays back-to-back on each side of the divide just uphill and opposite the Tesla SC's.

As the SC here often has a short delay, there are already 2 x Gridserve chargers available if needed. Eight more chargers will help! I got a slow charge on 1A there on Wednesday (34kw and no higher at any point, 1B came after me and he then started drawing 55kw - and the car display said 1B was offline!) so packed up and went to Gretna as all other chargers were taken. All SC were full at Gretna but I got the 10% I needed to complete the journey at Gridserve as price is comparable. Teslas were queuing but the Gridserve were available alongside.
Was there yesterday for an early charge as was empty. There’s me on my lonesome😞

Also, here’s some pics of the new chargers going in which will hopefully help even things out when Tesla further open up their network. Apologies for the quality of the photo, was early with a low sun behind.

Attachments

• A130E8CC-E827-47DD-822C-B905553EC48C.jpeg
    A130E8CC-E827-47DD-822C-B905553EC48C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 42EA4671-D258-40E7-A495-F1FAEFBFBD87.jpeg
    42EA4671-D258-40E7-A495-F1FAEFBFBD87.jpeg
    745.1 KB · Views: 63

Watford gets turned down again...the irony and stupidity of the comments from the planning officer...

"But a council officer concluded the development causes “harm to the significance” of the Grade II listed hotel, while also failing to “preserve” the openness of the green belt."

What tosh!

Reactions: JupiterMan

Watford gets turned down again...the irony and stupidity of the comments from the planning officer...

"But a council officer concluded the development causes “harm to the significance” of the Grade II listed hotel, while also failing to “preserve” the openness of the green belt."

What tosh!
I wonder what approach that council takes to allowing petrol stations within the green belt?

Reactions: Wattsisname