Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what happened with fleet eastbound?
Westbound has been in purgatory since the dawn of time, but noticed recently that the half of the eastbound chargers that had never been energized have been rebadged by some other network!
Seems crazy, if there is a decent grid connection there, for Tesla to voluntarily leave extra bays not connected. Fleet isn't *that* busy any time I've been there, but sales are accelerating...
There were about 6 tombstones that used to have a Tesla hoodie on them. Who’s taken them over then?

This was discussed a couple of weeks ago:
with no firm information, but background info that since the Applegreen takeover of Welcome Break (and the departure shortly before that of the Tesla-driving MD of the independent Welcome Break) WB have been much less keen on Tesla and are now promoting their own charging network. Other sites have seen similar reduction of Tesla capacity and installation of own-brand Applegreen chargers.

The exact reasons and future rules of engagement are probably known only to those few who have sight of the contract documents between WB and Tesla.

Reactions: CMc1
Westbound has been in purgatory since the dawn of time, but noticed recently that the half of the eastbound chargers that had never been energized have been rebadged by some other network!
Seems crazy, if there is a decent grid connection there, for Tesla to voluntarily leave extra bays not connected. Fleet isn't *that* busy any time I've been there, but sales are accelerating...
This was discussed a couple of weeks ago:
with no firm information, but background info that since the Applegreen takeover of Welcome Break (and the departure shortly before that of the Tesla-driving MD of the independent Welcome Break) WB have been much less keen on Tesla and are now promoting their own charging network. Other sites have seen similar reduction of Tesla capacity and installation of own-brand Applegreen chargers.

The exact reasons and future rules of engagement are probably known only to those few who have sight of the contract documents between WB and Tesla.

Pretty sure Gridserve are also finding the same? WB only want to put in their own chargers…

fuel shortages, caused by panic buying.
Which in turn was caused by the lies told by the media which whips this nation into a frenzy regularly.

Media - Killer death murder snow to hit leaving millions with no power and hundreds dead.

Reality - 3 flakes of snow in the Scottish highlands / winter

Media - killer heatwave to cripple nation

Reality - summer

Media - toilet roll shortage to last decades

Reality - one shop misses a delivery of toilet rolls a and the country looses all sense normality and rationality

Which in turn was caused by the lies told by the media which whips this nation into a frenzy regularly.

Media - Killer death murder snow to hit leaving millions with no power and hundreds dead.

Reality - 3 flakes of snow in the Scottish highlands / winter

Media - killer heatwave to cripple nation

Reality - summer

Media - toilet roll shortage to last decades

Reality - one shop misses a delivery of toilet rolls a and the country looses all sense normality and rationality
When people realise the media/news is only there to scare people the better the world will be.

Don’t pay any attention to any of these media outlets, it’s a much better way to live.

Which is great, 8 super chargers and 4 apple green chargers is better than the status quo (nothing).

The whole notion of Tesla’s only charging at superchargers is silly. I just charge where it’s convenient be that Tesla or otherwise.
The Tesla infrastructure is still the most convenient and reliable for Tesla owners! So I can’t fault them for choosing this!

I have free supercharging so I would try to use SuC if I can but will depend on the route, timing, price per kWh and location of third party ones.

Reactions: Sean. and M1tch
The Tesla infrastructure is still the most convenient and reliable for Tesla owners! So I can’t fault them for choosing this!

I have free supercharging so I would try to use SuC if I can but will depend on the route, timing, price per kWh and location of third party ones.
I don't think they foresaw quite where electricity prices would go especially in Europe/UK, given wars and energy price armageddon, but they are standing by their 'lifetime free supercharging' commitment..at least for the time being, so we may as well make hay....

Makes more sense than ever to choose (free) Tesla SC'ing that over any paid alternative.

I now have a foot in another EV camp, so for me depending on what I'm driving the decision gets a bit more complex. There is discounted 350 kW capable charging that is roughly half the price (for now) of paid Tesla Superchargers, but a fraction of the number of Tesla SC's.

I was at Tebay on Tuesday evening and there was 9 cars in front of me queueing to charge, at just after 9pm. It took an hour to chug through them before we could charge.

A guy in a model S was saying the queue was 3 hours long at one point so as he was down to 3% on arrival, he just parked up, had dinner and joined the queue just behind us.

There was certainly a problem at Tebay.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Does anyone know if the Reading Superchargers are access able again can you access them when the service Centre is closed ?
Do you mean the Reading services ones? I made an error a couple of weeks ago and put the "Reading superchargers" as a waypoint on my way from London to Exeter not realising these were NOT Reading services but some out of the way place on the wrong side of the M4. It's an easy mistake!

There's something afoot at Hopwood Park with fencing up and 'stuff' around here.

My sleuthing skills aren't very good and so I can't find any planning documents. Given the 'far corner' location, my guess would be chargers. Can't guess who though.

David
New chargers are going in but they’re not Tesla ones unfortunately. Frankley services on the M5 will be getting Superchargers this year.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
I was at Tebay on Tuesday evening and there was 9 cars in front of me queueing to charge, at just after 9pm. It took an hour to chug through them before we could charge.

A guy in a model S was saying the queue was 3 hours long at one point so as he was down to 3% on arrival, he just parked up, had dinner and joined the queue just behind us.

There was certainly a problem at Tebay.
I don't get how people get in this situation. I'd never get down that low on the way to a supercharger. The car tells you how much you have, where to go, and will automatically re-route if you're running low or the sites are busy. The information available to drivers is excellent, and you can see how busy chargers along your route are getting, and use common sense to deduce that certain days of the year will be super busy. Then you adjust your route or charging to compensate, eg, stopping to charge earlier than you need to if there's a quiet charging site, and putting more in so you can skip your original choice

I don't get how people get in this situation. I'd never get down that low on the way to a supercharger. The car tells you how much you have, where to go, and will automatically re-route if you're running low or the sites are busy. The information available to drivers is excellent, and you can see how busy chargers along your route are getting, and use common sense to deduce that certain days of the year will be super busy. Then you adjust your route or charging to compensate, eg, stopping to charge earlier than you need to if there's a quiet charging site, and putting more in so you can skip your original choice
In general I agree: I used to aim to arrive with ~5% as it makes quite a difference charging times in my MS70 (faster at start, less time topping up slowly at higher SOC for the extra buffer to the next stop). However this winter I've been more cautious as it allows more flexibility if certain supercharger(s) are busy (or to deal with road closures/poor weather). The info provided by the Nav is as good as it can be I think, other than some sort of automatic queue management.

That said, cars like mine have to use at least one (normally two) of Tebay - Gretna - Abington when travelling along the M6/M74 and now at peak times there are queues at all three with no viable alternatives, so having a mindset that that you might need to wait 1hr+ for a charge could remove some stress from the journey. At peak travel times the only solution is more chargers; third party ultra-rapids are thin on the ground in this area so hopefully Tesla's plans for Tebay northbound and Annandale Water will come to fruition.

Reactions: CMc1 and adsheff
Abington should shortly be more favourable. There are the 6 x Tesla SC as well as the 2 Gridserve points that have been established for a while, but now there are 8 x Applegreen rapid chargers at 175kW speed already built and shortly to be commissioned. The Tesla bays can be seen on the left.
1672835442547.png

Last edited: