Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get how people get in this situation. I'd never get down that low on the way to a supercharger. The car tells you how much you have, where to go, and will automatically re-route if you're running low or the sites are busy. The information available to drivers is excellent, and you can see how busy chargers along your route are getting, and use common sense to deduce that certain days of the year will be super busy. Then you adjust your route or charging to compensate, eg, stopping to charge earlier than you need to if there's a quiet charging site, and putting more in so you can skip your original choice
Will it do so on the fly? I've never been in a situation where that was necessary, but it's comforting to know it is in there.

We've come to realise that the 'Peak Times' issue is not going to go away anytime soon. As fast as they build the chargers, there are more and more EVs on the road every day. Add to that the fact that the railways are in disarray and crazy expensive and the promised bus revolution never happened, means more and more people are driving. The roads are jammed but its really obvious in the service stations - they are rammed, not just the chargers. We've started doing our regular Cardiff-Newcastle drive as early as possible in the morning - leaving at 6. This makes a big difference with supercharger availability. It seems the queue periods only last a couple of hours, so just try as best to avoid those hours and so far have never had to queue. I know the M6 North of Preston is harder though.

Will it do so on the fly? I've never been in a situation where that was necessary, but it's comforting to know it is in there.
Yes we drive long distance a lot and the car is constantly changing it's mind on which supercharger to use based on how busy they are. It works well for the most part, however it would be better if it predicted how busy a site was a bit better. eg. Driving south, headed for Mansfield to charge, Mansfield gets busy in the middle of the day. A queue formed and the car re-routed us to charge at Scotch Corner. However, as Mansfield was still 2 hours away we guessed correctly that it would have quietened down by then, so ignored the satnav and carried on. Sure enough, it was fine when we got there. Luckily on that route there are lots of alternatives - Wetherby(Gridserve superhub), Leeds, Woodall, Ferrybridge, so we just go to whatever has the best availability.

I don't get how people get in this situation. I'd never get down that low on the way to a supercharger. The car tells you how much you have, where to go, and will automatically re-route if you're running low or the sites are busy. The information available to drivers is excellent, and you can see how busy chargers along your route are getting, and use common sense to deduce that certain days of the year will be super busy. Then you adjust your route or charging to compensate, eg, stopping to charge earlier than you need to if there's a quiet charging site, and putting more in so you can skip your original choice
If you ever travel north of Manchester or Leeds you will be faced with this situation all the time. There is an absolute paucity of Supercharges up the M6 and M74 or up the A1M and A1 or A19 north of Leeds. Other roads such as the A66 and A69 although carrying lots of traffic have none. Major conurbations such as Teesside and Tyneside are neglected too. Cumbria as a large County serving millions of tourists and day trippers all year round only has Tebay South which is really only for the M6.

Abington should shortly be more favourable. There are the 6 x Tesla SC as well as the 2 Gridserve points that have been established for a while, but now there are 8 x Applegreen rapid chargers at 175kW speed already built and shortly to be commissioned. The Tesla bays can be seen on the left.
Abington also has a few 50kW chargers in the town itself.

I think Tebay only has 8 older V2 chargers at present so the throughput is quite low when it’s busy. The Tesla coming soon page is showing some new chargers on the other side of the M6 at Tebay North so these should also help, especially if they put V3 chargers in.

CMc1 : Please can you advise how to view pricing within the iPhone Tesla app as mentioned in the above quote?

I can view the pricing ok in the car, but in the App, no pricing is shown when you click on the red tag at the supercharger - just the number of stalls / stalls available and kW max. Thank you
The only way I've managed to find pricing within the app is to click on your profile picture and scroll to the right where it says charge your non-tesla vehicle. Click on it and it'll show you the closet site to you which is open to all EVs. There you can see the non-member charge vs member charge (which is those that own a Tesla).

I'm not sure if it's varied pricing across the country or flat rate fees against listed hours.

how do you find the "Charge Your Non-Tesla" when you already have a vehicle in the app?

Client the "person" icon, top right which brings up a list of all your vehicles and Powerwall, etc. etc. ... if you only have one then probably never noticed this :)

On mine I scroll all the way to the right and "Charge your non-Tesla" is the last item after "Tesla Shop" and "Order Now "

Out of interest, how do you find the "Charge Your Non-Tesla" when you already have a vehicle in the app?

Under 'my account' (the head icon top-right), then scroll right past your car(s), Tesla Shop etc and there's "Charge Your Non-Tesla"

However, this has changed recently - not long ago the price info was attached to the entries for the 'nearby superchargers' at the bottom of 'location'.

Client the "person" icon, top right which brings up a list of all your vehicles and Powerwall, etc. etc. ... if you only have one then probably never noticed this :)

On mine I scroll all the way to the right and "Charge your non-Tesla" is the last item after "Tesla Shop" and "Order Now "
Under 'my account' (the head icon top-right), then scroll right past your car(s), Tesla Shop etc and there's "Charge Your Non-Tesla"

However, this has changed recently - not long ago the price info was attached to the entries for the 'nearby superchargers' at the bottom of 'location'.

Thanks both, but think I must be missing something in my app then. As I have none of that haha.

1672912593013.jpeg