Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maidstone

I've stopped there a few times coming back from Chunnel, but I don't do that anymore as everyone coming off the Chunnel (ferry too I expect) stops there and limited (6) stalls, old 150kW charger (so charging speed is as per "paired" if other stalls are full, even if not also had to queue), and nothing to do in the vicinity. So I choose to charge before boarding Chunnel on return, even if I miss a train, rather than get stuck waiting / slow-charging at Maidstone.

On return leg any delay just adds to arrival time, but on outbound leg, if you want to make a particular crossing, then a delay is less acceptable

If you are in a bind (outbound) then there is a Supercharger in Coquelles, Calais (i.e. outside the Chunnel complex). If you are heading SW along the cost, from Calais port, it will be on your way ... and if you are heading SE it won't be :) and the next one, SE, is Lille which is be another 70 miles

Tebay V3’s are open, 12 stalls. V2’s are closed and to be removed.
Link below to a tweet showing a successfully charging car for reference.

It remains to be seen what happens to the V2 stalls. For the time being at least, Tebay S is V3 only but a previous poster on TOUK said they'd been told four of the eight V2 stalls would be retained.
All the V2 stalls have now been covered up in black plastic which is a bit ominous but that could be to prevent drivers trying to use them while they are powered off.
As I write this, the Tesla app is still showing 18 stalls total with 2A & B, 3A & B and 4A & B "out of order" - but 1A & B have disappeared. When I visited last weekend, 1A & B were already fenced off and there was paint marking on the ground for new power supply equipment ("DNO" is written in front of 1A).

It's impressive that these got built and installed in time for the next bank holiday weekend. I reckon there will still be queues but with 12 V3 stalls any wait times should be much shorter now.

2023-05-21 Tebay 1A 1B sm.jpg

1A/B SUC down at Calais Le Shuttle terminal, for me earlier - never commenced a charge. Tried a different bank and it refused to pull more than 47kw. Got to 20% and then went o the ionity norrhbound on the other side, as I didn’t want to miss the train waiting. Don’t think it was the car as it was preconditioned and did 171kw on the ionity (LFP 22M3)

Reactions: cezdoc
update on the progress at Pease Pottage.

This tweet does not reference superchargers, but it looks like them based on the tombstone foundations in the photo.

Agreed - the foundations look like 16 x V3 supercharger square ponies (foundations) in two rows of 8, matching up with the four charger cabinets previously mentioned as being at Pease Pottage (and also visible (in covers) in the background on the left of the site photo).

Reactions: JupiterMan
Link below to a tweet showing a successfully charging car for reference.

It remains to be seen what happens to the V2 stalls. For the time being at least, Tebay S is V3 only but a previous poster on TOUK said they'd been told four of the eight V2 stalls would be retained.
All the V2 stalls have now been covered up in black plastic which is a bit ominous but that could be to prevent drivers trying to use them while they are powered off.
As I write this, the Tesla app is still showing 18 stalls total with 2A & B, 3A & B and 4A & B "out of order" - but 1A & B have disappeared. When I visited last weekend, 1A & B were already fenced off and there was paint marking on the ground for new power supply equipment ("DNO" is written in front of 1A).

It's impressive that these got built and installed in time for the next bank holiday weekend. I reckon there will still be queues but with 12 V3 stalls any wait times should be much shorter now.

View attachment 940950

So where do we want the next upgrade? if we all turn up there at the same time and queue, having tipped off the tabloids of course, then maybe we can get that one fast tracked :)

Tebay Southbound today - when I left all 12 were in use! Talked to some folk with Tesla lanyards on - the old chargers are definitely going, the other side will hold generic chargers...
View attachment 941731

To be fair as these are exclusive I kinda think that’s only fair… need enoigh capacity for everyone, and the DNO connection will have a limit.

Latest from Birch Westbound - 10 stalls
View attachment 941873
If I squint it looks to me like there are 12 bases in this picture. Although there were 10 shown in the planning drawings it would be neater (in terms of multiples of 4 to fully utilise the charger cabinets) to have 12 eastbound and 12 westbound at Birch (to add up to the 24 total quoted in the G4E tweet).

Reactions: CMc1
Tebay Southbound today - when I left all 12 were in use! Talked to some folk with Tesla lanyards on - the old chargers are definitely going, the other side will hold generic chargers...
View attachment 941731
I called in here intending to charge on the way home from mountain biking in Keswick - only to find all chargers down. It looked like 5 or 6 Teslas were waiting parked up, implying some of the chargers were coming back on. I'd got around 160 miles of range so I set off thinking I'd use Charnock Richard, only to remember you can't access north bound from south bound these days.

So I headed off again starting to feel a bit nervous - I think this is the only time I've ever started considering third-party chargers other than when pre-planned. Fortunately I remembered Keele southbound has 4 chargers and plodded there relatively cautiously, arriving with about 8%. Had I not kept some contingency when leaving Keswick, it might have got "interesting". That'll also teach me to check the supercharger status in future, quite a shock to roll up and nothing is working 😬

My woes aside, the new set-up at Tebay looks good.