Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK/Ireland and RHD Only - Queries and Comments for Tesla - Further Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australian issue - not a UK or RHD specific issue

Australian lanes - esp. city ones - are often MUCH narrower than those in the UK and certainly the US. On auto the car seems to be very close to the traffic on the left, so much so that I get concerned about the cost of wing mirrors!
Also, the lane changes appear nothing like as smooth (Model S) as one can see on YouTube - quite often the car almost lunges out of lane and towards the other lane - and as often changes its mind halfway and lurches back into the original lane.
There appears little forward thinking by the autopilot regarding turns even on a motorway: not dangerous, but it seems the car says "Oops - keep in lane" and makes slightly aggressive turns to keep in lane.
These, and the phantom braking events, have made it impossible for me to use the automatics when wife is with me, which is 99% of the time. Life's too short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on: Supercharger Sites with Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras

Suggested solution: Tesla to negotiate something into the lease/license with the landowner to better manage. I.e ensure Tesla cars are automatically except for a period of 3 hours. The landowner would then back that off with parking eye (* other parking co shysters do exist). Straight forward to write in. Straight forward to implement. Admittedly only works for new sites and lease renewals. Should be considered essential criteria as part of new site terms.

Along the lines of:
“The ultimate freeholder and all current and future sub-lessors agree that Tesla vehicles may visit the site for the purposes of charging at the Superchargers (or waiting for the same) without paying for the privilege or any hinderance. This includes but is not limited to paying for access, parking, maintenance or similar. Where access to the site is via 3rd party land the freeholder warrants it has secured rights of access for Tesla vehicles including the terms of this clause. Where any parking charges/enforcement/management may be implemented, any and all Tesla model vehicles are automatically exempt from such action without cause for action on behalf of the owner/vehicle occupiers/driver for a period of 3 hours each and every time the Tesla vehicle arrives on site. The driver, occupants and owner have no obligation to register their details for ANPR systems. Any Tesla vehicle staying longer than this period may be required to follow a reasonable procedure and pay for parking. This clause does not affect the right of access regarding maintenance as written elsewhere in this agreement.”

Needs the lawyers to rewrite it but the intent is there.

SPEED LIMITER. with a range of 10 - 75mph
programmable in the same way as TACC. Essential in the UK for avoiding being caught by a speed camera in areas where TACC or AP are unusable.

The number of speed cameras in the UK is positively overwhelming!
Presently, Tesla shares the same over speed ‘bong’ warning technology as a 2012 Toyota Prius!
Really annoying on motorway Cruise sets itself for 70 + 10% =77, warning 70 + 6 (max) = 76... Bong, bong, bong ...turned OFF!

How about this as an issue for the thread?: "Navigation localisation: UK driving units of miles and yards (not feet)"

It is minor, but to me a frustrating bit of the current interface. I'm happy with yards for short driving distances (I pretend they are metres), and would like to hear things like "In 300 yards, turn left" not "In 1000 feet, turn left". The closest to an existing thread I could find was here: New Maps in the UK

How about this as an issue for the thread?: "Navigation localisation: UK driving units of miles and yards (not feet)"

It is minor, but to me a frustrating bit of the current interface. I'm happy with yards for short driving distances (I pretend they are metres), and would like to hear things like "In 300 yards, turn left" not "In 1000 feet, turn left". The closest to an existing thread I could find was here: New Maps in the UK
About 600 cubits or 160 fathoms or 0.16 nautical miles...

A mix of miles and meters would be perfect for most brits under the age of 50 since that's what we've used since primary school - unfortunately it's unlikely to ever be an option.

We are a weird lot with our mix of terms! Strangely miles and meters would suit me too but it really is an oddball combination! I do agree that yards rather than feet would be fine.

I’d love to see a fix for NoA and cones!

Currently the car is obsessed with changing lanes when adjacent to cones.

I believe in America you have to leave a lane between yourself and cones, but that’s not the case in the UK.

A mix of miles and meters would be perfect for most brits under the age of 50 since that's what we've used since primary school - unfortunately it's unlikely to ever be an option.
Yes indeed totally agreed! And I am well over 50! I hear 1,000 feet and immediately start to calculate metres or yards. Actually, I just recall it not recalculate it; 1000 feet equals a bit over 300 metres.

Reactions: Adopado
Yes indeed totally agreed! And I am well over 50! I hear 1,000 feet and immediately start to calculate metres or yards. Actual, I just recall it not recalculate it; 1000 feet equals a bit over 300 metres.

Agreed ... metres or yards would do ... 'cause we all just treat yards and metres as effectively the same for these sort of rough distance judgements.

Can we take it one step further and have centimetres (instead of inches) for the parking sensors?

My preference would be:
  • Miles for long distances
  • Metres for short distances
  • Centimetres for really small distances

Can we take it one step further and have centimetres (instead of inches) for the parking sensors?

My preference would be:
  • Miles for long distances
  • Metres for short distances
  • Centimetres for really small distances
Do you notice that when you come off the Eurotunnel train, the distances on the road signs seem quite daunting but, as kilometres, they reduce quickly.
Will we ever drop the mile in the UK? Let's keep it I say; as British, we are famous for our foibles and humour like the kid who tries to make the class laugh while the rest of them get an eduction and become prosperous. Similarly, Euro countries from which we have been cast a drift by the BREXIT jokers and liars....... I'm not bitter!