Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK bike rack recommendations for MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I’ve the velocompact 927. Getting the tow hitch fitted this week so will take some pics. It worked well with the 3. Paid £370 for the 3 bike version. I think it can be added to for 4 bikes.

M3 was very weight limited for a tow hitch bike rack, but the Y is more generous. Max was 55kg but Y is 75kg which is more realistic.

Hi. I’ve the velocompact 927. Getting the tow hitch fitted this week so will take some pics. It worked well with the 3. Paid £370 for the 3 bike version. I think it can be added to for 4 bikes.

M3 was very weight limited for a tow hitch bike rack, but the Y is more generous. Max was 55kg but Y is 75kg which is more realistic.
Just my opinion, but I have found that using the old plastic tyres levers the best non-damaging (scratches/dents in the plastic) method to remove the plastic cover to access the tow-bar.

Reactions: UrbanSplash
On my previous car, which was equipped with a tow bar, I used an Atera Strada DL3 - comes equipped for 3 bikes but you can add an accessory to carry a 4th. It was excellent, easy to use, secure and the particular benefit was that it was possible to open the hatchback with the bikes installed. I bought it from Roofbox, here: Atera Strada DL3 - I see they also do another version, EVO3, for 3/4 heavier / electric bikes too.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I have a 2022 Model 3 with factory towbar so this will presumably be identical to the MY. I have a “Westfalia Bikelander with LED lights Towball Mounted Tilting 2 Bicycle Carrier”. You buy direct from the manufacture, £387. Very pleased with it. I understand the factory towbar is also made by Westfalia. It’s well made and very compact when folded. Quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent Thule, yet I really can’t find fault with it.

I have a Yakima Just Click 2 on my Model 3 which is pretty good, Only criticism would be the rachets on the wheel straps which "miss" the teeth when approaching being fully tightened. I used to have the Velospace XT3 with 4th bike adapter on my T6 California which was a really good rack but obviously would be way over the 55kg limit on the M3 fully laden . I have the Tesla roof bars and 2x Thule 591s for when we're 4 bikes up.

Yakima do a Just Click 3 with 4th bike adapter so worth looking at as an alternative to the Thule.

HI Folks, a bit of a left field question here, but am also considering adding a tow hitch to my MT for the purposes of carrier bikes. Are there no bike racks available in the UK that connect directly to the tow hitch ? They all seem to be tow bar mounted...
Not that I have seen. All hitch ones (square fitting) seem to be imports but I haven't looked that hard yet. I'm considering a Buzz Rack Buffalo when my MY arrives as seems the most weight efficient way of carrying 4 bikes.

HI Folks, a bit of a left field question here, but am also considering adding a tow hitch to my MT for the purposes of carrier bikes. Are there no bike racks available in the UK that connect directly to the tow hitch ? They all seem to be tow bar mounted...
I paid extra for the tow hitch package and ordered a tesla bike rack yakaima made and guess what it dosent fit like wtf tesla ...uk spec model y performance

Thule roof cycle carriers fit perfect on to the Tesla roof bars and they are really solid. (if you’re able to lift your bikes up that high of course.) I have 3 but pretty sure I could fit a 4th.
There’s a slot in the top of the roof bars filled with a strip of foam. Pull it out and the bolts on the cycle racks slide in perfectly. It’s pretty much a standard for roof boxes etc.
You might want to cut the foam strips and push them back in the gaps between the bolts to stop the whistling noise above 25mph though. Or you could use some bits of tape if you’re not fussy.