Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any thoughts/info/guidance they can provide on the need for extra breakdown cover for a model 3 in UK? (I know, it's never going to break down, but....)

I'm hopefully picking up my model 3 this week & just arranged insurance with Direct Line. They offered me additional national breakdown & recovery cover, including HomeStart via Green Flag for what seems a pretty reasonable price (£43) & I'm wondering if it's worth considering.

I know the car comes with Tesla's roadside assistance which would obviously be my first port of call, but is there any likely benefit in having this additonal cover, just in case there are issues with Tesla (belt & braces approach!) or would I just be wasting my money on the extra cover?

Anyone have any experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance in UK?

Anyone have experience with Green Flag or other breakdown organisations & Teslas?

I think the Tesla.assistance is limited to a warranty covered breakdown only?
Green flag will.recover you if you hit a rock and damage suspension etc, and can't drive.
Direct line told.me they only use Tesla for.repairs, but I don't know how unique, true, or useful it is...

• Informative
Reactions: Grummi3
If you buy additional cover, you will never need it. If you don't buy it, something will happen to make you wish you did.

I have no experience with Tesla roadside recovery, but from what I hear, it can be a bit, urm, Tesla like, plus it seems to have geographical limits, like 50 miles from a service centre for tyre issues.

I've got AA cover. It covers the person not the car. So it doesn't matter what car any member of my family is travelling in, including my 15 year old who has his own AA card, the car that they are travelling in is covered. So its not like you are duplicating the cover solely on the car. It may cost a bit extra, but if you are sitting in middle of nowhere in the dark in the cold, knowing that someone is coming to get you, it's priceless.

Last edited:
The folk at Stockport service centre told me not to rely on the Tesla breakdown service!

I’ve used Autoaid for many years. It’s personal cover, so any vehicle, includes spouse, for £60 a year. I’ve had to call them out twice and both times the service was both quick and efficient, in my experience (admittedly a few years ago) quicker than either the AA or RAC.

I've got AA cover. It covers the person not the car. So it doesn't matter what car any member of my family is travelling in, including my 15 year old who has his own AA card, the car that they are travelling in is covered. So its not like you are duplicating the cover solely on the car. It may cost a bit extra, but if you are sitting in middle of nowhere in the dark in the cold, knowing that someone is coming to get you, it's priceless.
Same here my dad has been an AA member since 1982 and added me to his plan, been on it for about 14 years now. They don't check who's car it is, they will just help you no matter what.

Called them out a few times in the past when i've owned crappy cars when I was younger, they are great. Called them out to help my ex wife when her car broke down and they did that too.

I'd definitely recommend getting AA cover (or similar) in addition to the Tesla Roadside Assistance.

• Informative
Reactions: Grummi3
Does anyone have any thoughts/info/guidance they can provide on the need for extra breakdown cover for a model 3 in UK? (I know, it's never going to break down, but....)

I'm hopefully picking up my model 3 this week & just arranged insurance with Direct Line. They offered me additional national breakdown & recovery cover, including HomeStart via Green Flag for what seems a pretty reasonable price (£43) & I'm wondering if it's worth considering.

I know the car comes with Tesla's roadside assistance which would obviously be my first port of call, but is there any likely benefit in having this additonal cover, just in case there are issues with Tesla (belt & braces approach!) or would I just be wasting my money on the extra cover?

Anyone have any experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance in UK?

Anyone have experience with Green Flag or other breakdown organisations & Teslas?
Strange I was going to have that on mine and the guy on the other end of the line said don't bother just use teslas own

One more thing to add specifically regarding Teslas and breakdown...

If your Tesla does breakdown for some reason and you call the AA or similar, note that the car can only be transported by flatbed, it cannot be towed behind the AA van. The AA should be aware of this but something to tell them if you call regarding a Tesla breakdown.

• Informative
Reactions: Grummi3 and Roy W.
Came across this thread whilst mulling over whether to get extra breakdown cover (I am now, including homestart in case of waking up to a flat tyre), but what's a "jacking puck" and why might I need to get (buy?) one to stick in the car?

The base of the car is almost all taken up by the flat underside of the battery. A jack in the wrong place can result in expensive damage. There are 4 holes which are designed to take a jacking pad/puck. These are specific to the car so it's possible that someone comes out to you without the necessary pads and just "makes do" ... and damages your car. I took 4 pads to the garage when I had winter/summer tyre changes and they were happy to make use of them.
Tesal3jacking.png

Came across this thread whilst mulling over whether to get extra breakdown cover (I am now, including homestart in case of waking up to a flat tyre), but what's a "jacking puck" and why might I need to get (buy?) one to stick in the car?
Search is your friend! ;)

Model 3 Jacking Puck

They locate in a hole at the jacking points, and stop the jack from damaging the battery pack. I bought a set of four from eBay when I got the car, and they’ve been used several times when I’ve had my kerbed alloys repaired :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Lucanesque