Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to take delivery of the new model 3 and now thinking of the charger at home..

If i would go for the tesla wall connecter, currently there is already a spare 32A circuit with RCBO + wired to the driveway.. is it possible that I can do it myself? Just wondering if it is just putting the charger on the wall and wiring into the charger itself, I can definitely manage that.

I read some threads and saw someone talking about the surge protection, does anyone have the charger without it? and what is the risk that I need to keep in mind if i dont put one in?

did I miss anything that should probably better off to let an electrician to do the job?

If you need to ask then I would suggest getting a sparky in to sort it for you :)

I am about to take delivery of the new model 3 and now thinking of the charger at home..

If i would go for the tesla wall connecter, currently there is already a spare 32A circuit with RCBO + wired to the driveway.. is it possible that I can do it myself? Just wondering if it is just putting the charger on the wall and wiring into the charger itself, I can definitely manage that.

I read some threads and saw someone talking about the surge protection, does anyone have the charger without it? and what is the risk that I need to keep in mind if i dont put one in?

did I miss anything that should probably better off to let an electrician to do the job?
There are regs and there’s paperwork that has to be done by a qualified electrician.

Reactions: Vin_TFD
Can anyone comment on the hypervolt? Specifically the pro 3. It's the top of my shortlist as I think it looks the neatest. It will be quite on show by my front door so the look of it is important
If it matters to you, what do you think?

That aside, if you are or are going to be involved with something like Octopus IO, think carefully.
I have a Hypervolt Home 2.0 and the novelty soon wears off, and the reliability of the WiFi on my 2.0 meant it needed rebooting almost daily, so consider a wired connection.

If you aren't going for Intelligent Octopus then the Anderson may be worth a look if Aesthetics are most important to you. If you do want to use Intelligent Octopus tariff, then it may be worth looking at chargers so that you can pair those instead of the car (for this reason I partly wish I had got a Zappi instead)

Reactions: trickytree1984
I have a Hypervolt Home 2.0 and the novelty soon wears off, and the reliability of the WiFi on my 2.0 meant it needed rebooting almost daily, so consider a wired connection.

If you aren't going for Intelligent Octopus then the Anderson may be worth a look if Aesthetics are most important to you. If you do want to use Intelligent Octopus tariff, then it may be worth looking at chargers so that you can pair those instead of the car (for this reason I partly wish I had got a Zappi instead)
If it matters to you, what do you think?

That aside, if you are or are going to be involved with something like Octopus IO, think carefully.
Thanks both. I'm aware if the Anderson but it's a fair bit more £££. As I understand. I'm not sure on IO yet. I'm on octopus tracker and the rates have been very good, very rarely over 20p and as low as 11p, over the full 24 hours. I plan to charge a lot at work, so long story short I need to see how much I charge to see if it's worth upping my day rate to 30p, which is nearly double what I'm paying on average now. Anyway, as I understand, the car supports IO, also I have home assistant and was planning on automation with hypervolt, IO and Tesla APIs. The zapi is probably the best bet (I don't have solar), but it's quite ugly!

Thanks both. I'm aware if the Anderson but it's a fair bit more £££. As I understand. I'm not sure on IO yet. I'm on octopus tracker and the rates have been very good, very rarely over 20p and as low as 11p, over the full 24 hours. I plan to charge a lot at work, so long story short I need to see how much I charge to see if it's worth upping my day rate to 30p, which is nearly double what I'm paying on average now. Anyway, as I understand, the car supports IO, also I have home assistant and was planning on automation with hypervolt, IO and Tesla APIs. The zapi is probably the best bet (I don't have solar), but it's quite ugly!
I have had the 2.0 installed and working for 13 months without fault or issue - wireless connection on mine. I use the Ovo EV tariff so the charger is dumb. All works very well 👍

Hypervolt did some updates and improved the wireless connection massively, maybe around Q3 2022-ish. Before that mine kept dropping the wireless connection and needed a power cycle every week or so, since then I've never needed to. It's actually maintaining a wi-fi connection far better than I'd expect given it's location and have even been able to remove a wireless extender as it's not needing it anymore.

I'm out of date with the current market but I couple of years ago I thought the Hypervolt was the best visually unless you paid more for an Andersen, one advantage with the Hypervolt is that you can coil the tethered cable around itself so making it look neater.

But, this topic is for installer recommendations rather than chargers, and whilst I've been pleased with the Hypervolt itself then attempting to book an installation through them was problematic, but this was a couple of years ago and could well have changed since.

Hey folks.
Just had my tesla wall charged installed and super happy with the outcome.
Bought the unit from tesla direct.

Reached out to a few installers including the ones listed on the tesla website and check trade..
Got a few quotes in. And had 3 turn up to look and quote.
I went with The EV Charger Hub Unit 6 Brook Street B98 8NG

These guys quoted me £600 for my job and to also
"Install PME Fault Detection CU with RCBO and surge protection"

I had another few quotes slightly lower but did not get a good vibe with the other guy. Got good vibes from the guy ev sent.

All comms over what's app. Speedy and fast.

Honestly I could not be happier with the install. They went out of their way to hide the cables and run the rest in trunking to make the cabling look as neat as possible. It took him longer to do this then actually wire everything up. Guy was super professional and got on with the job.

P. S the installers of the tesla website where quoting 1, 600k to 2k. Gtfo.. Told that guy to do one. Said it would be around 800ish (after sending him pics and video plus doing a whats app video call) came on site to quote and jumped to 1.6k...

Check trade folks where more then reasonable.. Lowest was 500 to 550 highest 650 Of check trade. I'm glad I went with these guys as anyone willing to take their time and have pride in their cabling plus tidy up after themselves is a huge tick in my box. Plus was more then happy to give me some tips and pointers on some of the other stuff I had going on with my electrics.

Commissioning the tesla wall charger was another story. Got there in the end.
Did you guys know that once a tesla wall charger loses power from the breaker and comes back online it goes back to the green light pulsing which means it's back to commissioning mode and WiFi active.
You can log in. Access the default website. You can't really do much other then turn off approved tesla only charge.
It stops pulsing after a bit and turns off its own WiFi.

Not through Costco. But currently trying to get the Hive/ BG offer for charger, install and then a year free charging. Slow at every stage. Ordered on 19 Feb and still don’t have a date to be installed. Hard to get in touch with those who can actually provide useful information and poor communication in general. If it wasn’t for the free electric for a year I’d have binned them off by now. Not sure the Alfen charger they supply would’ve been my first choice either but should hopefully be sufficient.

Reactions: Trevel
I saw it in Costco last week eo mini pro 3 you could buy the equipment there and then,and then get a discount on fitting and if through Costco you get the excellent cs it’s not moving quick enough,or Arnold Clark have the £499 offer with the Tesla I have ordered so not sure which way to jump
Hive EV Charger Mini Pro 3 - Untethered | Costco UK It was cheaper in store though cant remember how much

Last edited:
I would strongly advice people avoid EO products. We installed an EO Mini Pro back in August 2019 and as of March they abruptly told us that they are discontinuing the app and we simply shouldn't be expecting that a charge point would continue to operate for more than 5 years. It will continue as a dumb charger but can no longer be scheduled, provide reporting or the like, not a big deal for the Tesla, but a problem as we used these features for a Leaf that doesn't have the same app controls.

Be very careful with any device that relies on a cloud service and doesn't have a local way to control, I think this really would seem to go for more or less all chargers unfortunately.

Does anyone know of a charger that can be scheduled without relying on a cloud service? Either a console on the device or a local API

I would strongly advice people avoid EO products. We installed an EO Mini Pro back in August 2019 and as of March they abruptly told us that they are discontinuing the app and we simply shouldn't be expecting that a charge point would continue to operate for more than 5 years. It will continue as a dumb charger but can no longer be scheduled, provide reporting or the like, not a big deal for the Tesla, but a problem as we used these features for a Leaf that doesn't have the same app controls.

Be very careful with any device that relies on a cloud service and doesn't have a local way to control, I think this really would seem to go for more or less all chargers unfortunately.

Does anyone know of a charger that can be scheduled without relying on a cloud service? Either a console on the device or a local API
Good advice and I agree with you. I use a Tesla, Zappi, SyncEV and 32A Commando for charging. I don't like any cloud services for anything at all.

What’s the difference between type 2 and type 3 Tesla generation wall units please just looking on eBay now for 1 and get my electrician to fit it
The newest type 3 has the smarts inside to meet the current gov regulations for charge points. Scheduling, random delay offsets, reporting etc. It's largely irrelevant if you are going to charge a Tesla as it's generally better to schedule from the car, but it's perhaps handy if you charge a non-tesla.

The 3Gen Wall connector also includes a Type A RCD, which used to mean it could be installed without an RCD at the CU (fuseboard/breakers) end, but there seems to be some debate about that within standards recently that I'm not smart enough to follow, consult an electrician. Either way the install needs a Pen Fault detector at the CU which will add a few hundred in components anyway.

Reactions: Trevel