Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted Smart Home Charge over Christmas about installation of a Zappi charger and was told they are not currently installing them.

Annoying as both Zappi and Smart Home Charge seem to have good reviews.

Anyone aware of any issues?

Not a recommendation, but a do not use.

I had ordered an Andersen v2 through Brite Technical Service in Hillington, Glasgow back at the end of September with a 6-8 week timeframe.
Through various emails and calls through November (will be here in the next couple of days), December (delayed to January because of delays at the ports), through to yesterday when it I had a call to say that it will now be the end of March for the installation again because of parts getting delayed at the ports.

Finally it emerged that they may have not even placed the order for the charge point till earlier in that day. So 4 months of them having my money and doing nothing.

NOT HAPPY.

Cancelled the order with them so now I have the hassle of changing to another supplier and changing the grant info.

Last edited:
I can highly recommend API Electrical for EV charger installation.

Had an Ohme fitted, with O-PEN (Garo) this morning - only completed the online paperwork on Friday, they called yesterday to book as they already had another install booked nearby for today!
Turned up as scheduled, very neat work (fitted exactly where I wanted), demo'd everything, and finished in 3 hours. Power off to house for less than 10 minutes, which saved the wife from shouting at me!!

Check their installation area postcodes beforehand, to ensure you fall into their zone (basically anywhere within 2-3 hours of Manchester) so you don't waste any time.

• Informative
Reactions: yfwt and Stuart1714
On recommendation from this forum, I’ve just had a quote from Stockport Electrical Services for a Rolec EVHS2140 tethered vehicle charger (32A 7Kw single phase mode 3 fast charge). Very pleasant experience so far but it’s coming in at £632.80 after applying the OLEV grant.

That seems high to me but wondered what others think! Also wondering what folk think about tethered vs untethered.

Thanks in advance.

On recommendation from this forum, I’ve just had a quote from Stockport Electrical Services for a Rolec EVHS2140 tethered vehicle charger (32A 7Kw single phase mode 3 fast charge). Very pleasant experience so far but it’s coming in at £632.80 after applying the OLEV grant.

That seems high to me but wondered what others think! Also wondering what folk think about tethered vs untethered.

Thanks in advance.

I used Eco Charge Points UK - Electric vehicle charge points for home or business based in Cheadle who were pretty good and have been responsive since, when I had a question and some follow up. Their price was the best of 3 I looked at.

Difficult to say if the price you have is good or bad without knowing more about what is involved, that said, looks to be in line with what I would expect.

On the tethered/non-tethered argument, I would go for tethered every time. Don't need the hassle of putting a wet cable away every time you use it. Leave your cable in the boot and get the tethered version of whichever charger you go for.

I used Eco Charge Points UK - Electric vehicle charge points for home or business based in Cheadle who were pretty good and have been responsive since, when I had a question and some follow up. Their price was the best of 3 I looked at.

Difficult to say if the price you have is good or bad without knowing more about what is involved, that said, looks to be in line with what I would expect.

On the tethered/non-tethered argument, I would go for tethered every time. Don't need the hassle of putting a wet cable away every time you use it. Leave your cable in the boot and get the tethered version of whichever charger you go for.
Thanks for this; much appreciated.

Anyone used pure-ev, ecology or API Electrical? They're all similarly priced after speaking to them - wondering if anyone has good experiences?

I am in the Leeds area and used Pure-EV for installing my EO mini and O-PEN device back in October last year. They came on the day and time they said they would and the engineer was very friendly and efficient (was completed by lunchtime). To the untrained eye (i.e. me) it was working as expected and the cable run (relatively simple run) looked tidy.

However... last month I had a smart meter engineer out to my house to see if he could resolve my smart meter issue as it had stopped sending meter readings automatically, he wasn't able to get it working (weak eSIM signal), but the engineer did spot some exposed wire where the cable goes from the O-PEN device to some sort of junction box before entering the Smart Meter. You could only see it if you were on your hands and knees shining a torch into the point where the cable entered the junction box (Sorry not sure what the right terminology is for the junction box). As the Smart Meter engineer had spotted the poor workmanship, it meant he had to replace the wiring as apparently they could get audited and he would get in trouble if they hadn't sorted it there and then (as you can imagine he wasn't best pleased).

That poor workmanship sounds like a serious issue, it'd be a C2, possibly a C1, so something requiring immediate remedial work. For an installer to leave an exposed live conductor accessible, even if only by someone poking something conductive up there, is a major failing.

The regs state that all live conductors must not only be insulated, with no exposed copper accessible, but that there should be two layers of insulation, so if even the inner insulation layer on the tails is exposed at the connector block it's unacceptable.

I have also recently had a Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed by Eco Charge Points UK and would recommend them. They came out to the house to do a survey rather than me having to send photos which is what the other suppliers wanted me to do, this also gave me the opportunity to have a proper discussion about the best location to mount the charge point based on their experience and my requirements. The installation was neat and tidy and they took the time to test that it all worked on my car and to show me the features of the app.

I know we're quick to complain about bad service etc , so I'd just like to say I got my zappi installed today by MrCharger - they were very quick to come back to me, had a great system for submitting site photos. Arranged an install date a week later - turned up on time, took 1.5 hours to install - all very professional and face masked up etc.

It was a really great experience.

They service S-London/ Surrey (may be more).

Home | EV Charging Station Installations | Mr Charger