Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not smart (and at least not according to UK legislation that will prevent it), as it's the vehicle that is and manages it. To me it's an equivalent, if not better system.. but not according to the regulator apparently... And yes you are right about the extra cost of the PEN.
Still, without install, funny to see that the Tesla looks among one of the cheapest (£449) vs £550+ for the Easee and Wallbox ones (I agree the Pulsar is ugly).

Think carefully about the tethered/untethered aspect. Swiftly plugging in with a cable that's at the ready is a job taking seconds. Leaving in a hurry in the morning is a quick unplug and off you go. With an untethered charge point you have to open the boot, root out the cable, plug in at both ends ... but the killer is the cold wet morning ... unplug both ends and wrestle with metres of unweildly wet cable that's picked up dirt from the ground ... your hands are wet, your clothes are likely to be wet, your boot is wet, the car starts to mist up ... and next time you come to use the cable it's likely still wet and dirty. Not for me!
Unless you live in a high risk area, and given it is installed in your own driveway, I guess that you could still leave your cable on the wall charger end for the day, simply unplug from the car side, and don't deal with all this, no?

Unless you live in a high risk area, and given it is installed in your own driveway, I guess that you could still leave your cable on the wall charger end for the day, simply unplug from the car side, and don't deal with all this, no?
... yes but the OP's reason for not having tethered charger is because he wants the neat appearance of not having a cable draped over the charge point. This would defeat any "advantage".

...but then I have to make sure I keep the cable in the car at all times (actually, does the Tesla even come with one?!)
Yes, the car comes with a Type 2 cable. (But keep it for the occasional Supermarket charge or when you have no other options when out and about ... you'll notice from my other post that I'm not an advocate of untethered home charge points!)

Reactions: scriptedpixels
It's not smart (and at least not according to UK legislation that will prevent it), as it's the vehicle that is and manages it. To me it's an equivalent, if not better system.. but not according to the regulator apparently... And yes you are right about the extra cost of the PEN.
Still, without install, funny to see that the Tesla looks among one of the cheapest (£449) vs £550+ for the Easee and Wallbox ones (I agree the Pulsar is ugly).
Feels like the Tesla charger is the one to go for.

I am a little concerned around what will be happen if they’re deemed “illegal” in the future when it comes to selling the house & wanting to install it at a new home - doubt it would be an issue but something to think about maybe?

Edit: ignore that, just saw this from another post & I’ll be going for the Tesla Gen 3 for sure:

1652854583117.png

Last edited:
Or have an untethered wall unit that can lock the cable at the wall unit end and have the best of both worlds
Make sure that the charge point can keep the cable locked when not actually charging. A friend of mine specifically chose one that was described as being able to lock the cable but it turned out that was only during the charging process.

If the OP’s aim is for the charge point to look neat and minimal then I don’t see how it’s the best of both worlds to have a removable cable remaining attached. Unless it’s a dedicated cable then they’re also going to be driving off without a cable in the car for public charging.

Make sure that the charge point can keep the cable locked when not actually charging. A friend of mine specifically chose one that was described as being able to lock the cable but it turned out that was only during the charging process.

If the OP’s aim is for the charge point to look neat and minimal then I don’t see how it’s the best of both worlds to have a removable cable remaining attached. Unless it’s a dedicated cable then they’re also going to be driving off without a cable in the car for public charging.
Easee has the option for “Cable: always locked”. It also shows live lock status in the app . This is our install with the hook for 10m of cable and the holster
6394d098-2a1d-41ef-9ccc-8bc9397caf40-jpeg.805715

Attachments

• 6394D098-2A1D-41EF-9CCC-8BC9397CAF40.jpeg
    6394D098-2A1D-41EF-9CCC-8BC9397CAF40.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 208
Easee has the option for “Cable: always locked”. It also shows live lock status in the app . This is our install with the hook for 10m of cable and the holster
6394d098-2a1d-41ef-9ccc-8bc9397caf40-jpeg.805715
If ever there was a photo that was an inadvertent advert for an Andersen charge point then that's it!! That's despite the fact that I live somewhere where I can just leave the cable lying in the open without coiling up (plugged into a holster though) so I don't care about appearances normally! It would be different if I lived in a street.

If ever there was a photo that was an inadvertent advert for an Andersen charge point then that's it!! That's despite the fact that I live somewhere where I can just leave the cable lying in the open without coiling up (plugged into a holster though) so I don't care about appearances normally! It would be different if I lived in a street.
Oh man, I'm looking at how much this will cost to install too - never seen this brand before!

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Yeah, it is nice ... but is it £500+ nice 🤔
He he … fair point!
I’m lucky to have a spot that nobody looks at… I seriously considered getting a rusty old petrol pump to hide my charge point inside … then I discovered how much a rusty old petrol pump costs… and then there would have been a requirement for wife discussion/agreement…. nope, non starter!