Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used the 32A granny type charger for 7kw charging? any pros/cons would be greatly appreciated. I prefer the thought of a high level out of general view 32A commando rather than a big wall box on view outside of my property with a fixed cable for the kids to play with 😆. Something like this below I am considering.

Has anyone used the 32A granny type charger for 7kw charging? any pros/cons would be greatly appreciated. I prefer the thought of a high level out of general view 32A commando rather than a big wall box on view outside of my property with a fixed cable for the kids to play with 😆. Something like this below I am considering.
Tesla provide you with one that does 32a charging, you just need to buy the 32a commando adapter for about £30 and have a commando socket, but the regs for a commando socket are more or less the same as those for a regular EV charge point, that’s where the bulk of the cost is for many.

Last edited:
Tesla provide you with one that does 32a charging, you just need to buy the 32a commando adapter for about £30 and have a commando socket, but the regs for a commando socket are more or less the same as those for a regular EV charge point, that’s were the bulk of the cost is for many.
So with the adapter I will be able to get the same 7kw charge rate? Excuse the lack of knowledge around this. Charging my iPhone is my current ability. ;)

Could you send me a link to the adapter please?

Really appreciate your assistance.

Another alternative is a charger without a tethered cable, ie a type 2 socket. Some are smaller than others.

Any recommendations for an installer in Glasgow area ? Got quoted £1400 for a zappi install from someone local. My install is apparently straight forward. Not decided on charger so flexible there. Thanks in advance.
I’ve just had a hive (untethered) charger installed by British Gas (the unit is actually a hive branded Alfen eve s-line).
I didn’t really choose them though - was part of my lease deal. However they were pretty good comms wise and fitted it promptly once I’d got some work done (isolation switch) as part of smart meter install.

They did want to charge me £140 for installing the cable under the floor though, which I thought was a bit cheeky.

Any recommendations for an installer in Glasgow area ? Got quoted £1400 for a zappi install from someone local. My install is apparently straight forward. Not decided on charger so flexible there. Thanks in advance.
I used a Company called Smarter Utility who I believe are based in East Kilbride about £1,100 including Charger and Installation, not sure if they do Zappi's.

Reactions: miasoldman
Hi guys, I am new to this, have just ordered a Model 3. And obvs I have some charging installation issues and this is where I need your help with some ideas/advices:
1. Can I use any wall charger or does it need to be Tesla ?
2. Do you have an idea of a professional installer in Colchester who can pay me a visit, just for consultation and eventual some work if the rice is correct ? All of them that I spoke to, they started giving me headaches with the fuse that it is on the house, that I need at least 80 Amps fuse, one of them said that I need 100 amps fuse. Suffice to say, that none of them came to my house to wee what is all about.
They will be more questions, but if you could answer these, it would be great.
Thank you.

Hi guys, I am new to this, have just ordered a Model 3. And obvs I have some charging installation issues and this is where I need your help with some ideas/advices:
1. Can I use any wall charger or does it need to be Tesla ?
2. Do you have an idea of a professional installer in Colchester who can pay me a visit, just for consultation and eventual some work if the rice is correct ? All of them that I spoke to, they started giving me headaches with the fuse that it is on the house, that I need at least 80 Amps fuse, one of them said that I need 100 amps fuse. Suffice to say, that none of them came to my house to wee what is all about.
They will be more questions, but if you could answer these, it would be great.
Thank you.
You do not need to use a Tesla Charger and there are plenty of decent alternatives about - The Tesla charger is a tethered unit (car charge cable permanently attached) but you can buy untethered so if you later changed to a car that had a different charge socket you could just replace the cable.
I've just been through the Fuse upgrade saga today (fuse is 60A currently) and have several appointments booked:
Charger being installed by approved electrician on 10th March. I got a list of approved local installers on the Tesla App.
Electricity Meter supply tails being replaced on 4th April by energy provider (Shell Energy) as you need to have 25mm2 tails for 100A Fuse - mine are oddly 16mm2 going into the meter and 25mm2 coming out!
Fuse being replaced by UKPN some time in April after tails replaced (just waiting for confirmed date).
If you have a 60A fuse you just need to apply a bit of load management so that you don't risk blowing the fuse (for example charge the car overnight without any high load appliances like electric cooker operating).

Hope that helps

Reactions: TimboUK
You do not need to use a Tesla Charger and there are plenty of decent alternatives about - The Tesla charger is a tethered unit (car charge cable permanently attached) but you can buy untethered so if you later changed to a car that had a different charge socket you could just replace the cable.
I've just been through the Fuse upgrade saga today (fuse is 60A currently) and have several appointments booked:
Charger being installed by approved electrician on 10th March. I got a list of approved local installers on the Tesla App.
Electricity Meter supply tails being replaced on 4th April by energy provider (Shell Energy) as you need to have 25mm2 tails for 100A Fuse - mine are oddly 16mm2 going into the meter and 25mm2 coming out!
Fuse being replaced by UKPN some time in April after tails replaced (just waiting for confirmed date).
If you have a 60A fuse you just need to apply a bit of load management so that you don't risk blowing the fuse (for example charge the car overnight without any high load appliances like electric cooker operating).

Hope that helps
Thanks a lot, it is really helpful. I got someone to come today and check the fuse, see what they say. I am very reluctant to touch that thing. lol

Isn't that lead a little on the short side to plug one end into the Commando and the other end into the car?

I've checked my blue 32A Type 2 lead that came with my M3, and I don't think the adapter will fit on the end.
Are you confusing which end does what? The commando connector swaps out for the 3 pin plug connector (they just pull out of the UMC) so it's the same length as it was before.

• Helpful
Reactions: RedMod3 and kiranl
Are you confusing which end does what? The commando connector swaps out for the 3 pin plug connector (they just pull out of the UMC) so it's the same length as it was before.
Thank you, I thought the black lead with the 3 pin plug on the end was only rated at 10A; I checked the adapter and it is rated at 32A, then tugged the 3 pin plug and it came out of the adapter as you explained. I shall get one of those commando adapters.

I appreciate your help on this. :)

Reactions: Adopado and TimboUK
Thank you, I thought the black lead with the 3 pin plug on the end was only rated at 10A; I checked the adapter and it is rated at 32A, then tugged the 3 pin plug and it came out of the adapter as you explained. I shall get one of those commando adapters.

It's rated "up to" 32A. The maximum output it can actually give is set automatically by whichever adapter is plugged into it. Once charging you can adjust downwards from the maximum.

Yes, it can come as a surprise that the supplied portable UMC can actually handle as much power as a dedicated wall charger... so long as it is connected to a suitably robust, safe, supply.

Hey everyone,

Any recommendations for Hampshire? Looking for someone to install a Tesla Wall Connector. Just got a quote from Smart Home Charge for £900 (£612 for labour, extra cabling + £288 for a "single phase EV voltage monitoring and protection device" which I presume is a PEN fault detector). Is this a reasonable quote? I was hoping I could get it for cheaper.