Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't collect my M3LR until this Saturday so obviously haven't used the charger yet so can't recommend anything (apart from it looks proper stylish 😍) but I had my Tesla gen 3 installed last week by a local southampton company that I use all the time, nice quick tidy installation and all signed off for me 👌

Could you share Southampton company details

Sure, the guy I dealt with was Simon Parker
aceplumb.co.uk
They have an electrical division as well as a plumbing division
ACE 02380777010

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jitm
Hello,

Wonder if I can pick the brains of everyone. I’m looking to get a charger in our new build property. I have been speaking with Elecology who seem pretty good to date.

They have recommended two potential models Ohme £638 and a Hypervolt £730 In my opinion the Hypervolt is slightly better looking! (After the grant)

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or comments on either of the chargers or Elecology? Does the cost sound right to you guys?

I’m based around Ely in Cambridgeshire just in case location makes a diffrence.

Thanks everyone
Elecology installed my EVBox Elvi two years ago (also near Ely as it happens). I wouldn’t recommend EVBox but elecology were good. It was a longish cable run and they left everything very tidy - they had to go under a paved path and they put it back nearer than how it was before. They were also very helpful getting EVBox to agree to replace my charger under warranty, which EVBox refused to for a while.

Reactions: GarethWhyte
Hi,

Just ordered my Model 3 :D. Has anybody got any installer recommendations for Cornwall? Already had one electrician round who reckons it could be a "big job". I'm in an old terrace house with a garden between the house and rear driveway. Or has anybody had a similar install?

Hi,

Just ordered my Model 3 :D. Has anybody got any installer recommendations for Cornwall? Already had one electrician round who reckons it could be a "big job". I'm in an old terrace house with a garden between the house and rear driveway. Or has anybody had a similar install?
I assume you've spoken to an electrician who has experience installing EV chargers and can handle the EV Grant paperwork/application etc?

EV charge points need to be connected to the meter box directly in most cases so if your meter box is at the front of the house and the garage at the back of the garden, which based on your description, it is, then I'm not surprised it's a "big job". That being said, the "big" aspect of the job will be running the supply cable from the meter box to the charge point location (the garage). That might involve groundworks and trenching, or even laying under a patio/slabs etc. Have a look at your garden and see if you can find the least invasive (but safe) route for cabling to be run. Suggest that as an option when you speak to electricians. Most EV installers will to remote or touchless surveys and will simply as for pictures, site plans etc.

I was in a fairly similar situation with my meter being at essentially the "wrong" side of the house so I'm having to get the charge point supply cable run around the rear of the house, along (under) my patio decking, and into the garage, over the inside of the garage door and the charge point mounted on the external pillar. It's around 25m of cabling and overall the install will cost me around £1,100.

I've commented earlier in this thread with my site plan etc. so take a look if you want to get a feel for what I sent to the EV installers. I'm based in Warwickshire so can't recommend anyone in Cornwall I'm afraid.

I assume you've spoken to an electrician who has experience installing EV chargers and can handle the EV Grant paperwork/application etc?

EV charge points need to be connected to the meter box directly in most cases so if your meter box is at the front of the house and the garage at the back of the garden, which based on your description, it is, then I'm not surprised it's a "big job". That being said, the "big" aspect of the job will be running the supply cable from the meter box to the charge point location (the garage). That might involve groundworks and trenching, or even laying under a patio/slabs etc. Have a look at your garden and see if you can find the least invasive (but safe) route for cabling to be run. Suggest that as an option when you speak to electricians. Most EV installers will to remote or touchless surveys and will simply as for pictures, site plans etc.

I was in a fairly similar situation with my meter being at essentially the "wrong" side of the house so I'm having to get the charge point supply cable run around the rear of the house, along (under) my patio decking, and into the garage, over the inside of the garage door and the charge point mounted on the external pillar. It's around 25m of cabling and overall the install will cost me around £1,100.

I've commented earlier in this thread with my site plan etc. so take a look if you want to get a feel for what I sent to the EV installers. I'm based in Warwickshire so can't recommend anyone in Cornwall I'm afraid.
Yes they were the first of a few EV charger installers I have lined up. They are getting back to me with a full quote, but they said it would be definitely doable. The distance sounds roughly similar to yours so thank you for a ball park figure.

Reactions: ProducedByKang
Hi all
Has anyone got a recommendation for a Wall Charger Gen 3 installer in Worcestershire?
Preferably someone I can also have a serious conversation with about Powerwall and Solar at the same time.
Many thanks in advance.

Thanks @VanillaAir_UK - for some reason when I tried off the Tesla website last time, I ended up with an active order for 3xPowerwalls :eek:🤣 and no way to talk about solar roof/panels or some other complexities of my supplie(s) to get a full ecosystem.

Kingston upon Thames / South West London
I was very impressed with the service I received from Electric4U when I had my home Zappi charge point installed. We have a looped supply and I had tried a few other companies who said it was too complicated to deal with the DNO to have my installation carried out.

Electric4U gave me a competitive quote, carried out a survey, dealt with the paperwork and carried out the installation all within two weeks which I was very happy with.

0208 004 4581​

[email protected]

From our address in Surbiton, Surrey we cover locations within a 10 mile radius.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
Got a Zappi installed in my garage by Voltix yesterday (they are Fife based).

Great install done by Barry, neat and tidy, talked me through the app, talked a bit about solar (something we're thinking about) etc. Also great service by Gem keeping me right on all the correct paperwork for the UK government grant and the Scottish one. If your in an area they cover Scotland I'd recommend reaching out to them.

garage charger.jpg

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
For East Sussex area I went with OhmEnergy - nice and neat installation - and at a reasonable price compared to many of the cowboy's who I got quotes from.

They replaced my entire consumer unit "modern" 16 slot RCBO unit (my choice) + got Tesla charger installed (latest) - so incl. tests and everything for 1100,- plus VAT total. It took a whole work day - consumer unit was the single most expensive part.

Most of the others asked for 750-1000 + VAT just for the charger installation with all bits and bobs. (Old house...)

I had CrossTech Electrical, based in Colchester, install my untethered EO Mini Pro 2 a few weeks back. After the grant it cost me £595 which I felt was quite reasonable. It was a simple installation with the charger less than 2m from my meter. They've done a neat job, I only had to wait a month to get it fitted and communication was easy. Recommended.

Clearly this is an important question for every EV owner. I've read through these post and there are lots of johnsmith ltd did a great job but it would be more helpful for me to know how long it took them to do the job and what they charged (for the fitting).

When employing artisans all we want is a good job for a fair price and in my long life of employing artisans the only way I have of quantifying what is (?) a fair price is identifying what is a fair hourly/daily rate for that trade and how long it took (should take) to do the job.

Clearly this is an important question for every EV owner. I've read through these post and there are lots of johnsmith ltd did a great job but it would be more helpful for me to know how long it took them to do the job and what they charged (for the fitting).

When employing artisans all we want is a good job for a fair price and in my long life of employing artisans the only way I have of quantifying what is (?) a fair price is identifying what is a fair hourly/daily rate for that trade and how long it took (should take) to do the job.

Thats what the Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread] thread is for. Every charge point installation is different so one persons price and time will be based upon their individual circumstances.

This thread is purely a succinct 'xyz did a good/bad job so would recommend or avoid' or a request for that information in a particular area.

But if someone wants to add that to their install cost xyz thats fine too, but this is predominately about individual installer recommendations and not a discussion thread.