Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations for the Essex area?

I fear our installation might not be non standard as the fuse box is not next to an outside wall.

Lea Arnold (Colchester) fitted my Hypervolt, he was their recommended installer for my postcode.

Mine was non-standard as it was going to an detached garage and part of it was run internally within the garage. Cable run was around 17-18m or so.

He split the meter tails and installed an additional ip rated mini consumer unit externally just below my meter cupboard. He didn’t need to touch the main consumer unit for the house.

Reactions: dog299
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good company to use in South Wales? Ideally want it ASAP (I know everyone probably says that) but certainly before the government grants dry up end of March.

I'm trying to get quotes . . . the last communication I had with an electrician was 22nd December; they are all on holiday until 4th Jan. Looks like that they have well made up all the money they lost over the lockdown months. I presume they spent some of the holiday time thinking of ways they could pay back some of the furlough money!

Had our wallbox pulsar plus installed by smarthomecharge. We're in Fleet, Hampshire but they cover a lot of the south east. The engineer was done in 2 hours- it was incredibly smooth and he didn't even have to turn the leccy off.

Should one receive some kinds of certificate to cover Part P? I had Mr Charger do my install but no certificate supplied, worried I might have to get it surveyed separately. Have asked the question directly.
I believe so. I read that if you don't have appropriate certificate then difficulties can arise if/when you sell your house.

Had to remind my installer too but they provided the certificate pretty quickly.

If anyone's looking for a chargepoint installer anywhere nearish Manchester I can recommend API Electrical https://www.apielectrical.co.uk/electric-vehicles/areas-we-service/ They seem to have quite a large service radius.

They were professional, responsive, helpful with all my questions and spec changes and did a good job (our electrician was Edgar). FWIW I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied customer. I found them by requesting installer quotes on the Zappi web site.

I think they were a little cheaper than another company in Birmingham that quoted though hard to compare exactly as I changed my mind about installation specs. Installation was £1100 including grant for Zappi v2 socketed which included hub, CT clamps, extra consumer unit, chargepoint surge protection, a long cabling run and extra weatherproof external 13A sockets installed next to the chargepoint. The extra sockets were wired with the same spec of chargepoint cable for future proofing such as converting to a second chargepoint.

South Ayrshire, can recommend the EV guys, polite and tidy installers, fair bit of under floor messing about required to get to my garage from the fuse box, and tidied up some gash wiring from before we moved in (11 years ago). I had a zappi installed, having initially wanted the Hypervolt, based purely on looks, but the recent compatibility issues put me off, and also a few issues with it finding Virgin BBand hubs, so i changed to the less attractive looking zappi which I’ve managed to get fitted in the garage. It has an app which monitors the electric use for the whole house. So far happy with Zappi. And the installers.

You would recommend Honest John Electrics,, but would you report Rip Off John Electrics? We live in a society where the vast majority politely ignores and walks away from Rip Off John and generally settles for OK John Electrics. If you got a quote that was £600 more than the lowest quote and they were on the EV companies 'approved' list would would you not complain/report them?